Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

11 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

This is a known Kopernicus bug, it only affects the KSC scene and has no real impact on gameplay (if you launch a ship the sky will look normal)

No, not the "eternal night bug". I know that one, im using your mod for quite a while now.

i mean that the Space Center Buildings are literally turned black if you install RSS together with your mod. the whole scene has absolultly zero light, only thing you can see sre the lights of the runway

if i remove RSS, everything works normal again

46 minutes ago, Athur Dent said:

No, not the "eternal night bug". I know that one, im using your mod for quite a while now.

i mean that the Space Center Buildings are literally turned black if you install RSS together with your mod. the whole scene has absolultly zero light, only thing you can see sre the lights of the runway

if i remove RSS, everything works normal again

hmmm

let me check (installing it right now)

EDIT:

I don't see the issue you are describing

3EcOTua.png jUYx99U.png

Edited by Sigma88

Having the same problem. But not using RSS. I'm using "Alternis", "OPM" and "Uncharted Lands" planet packs.

I know the bug in earlier versions, where your KSC just was always at "night", but you could still see buildings. However this bug now, the complete ground is basically just black.

This is a fresh KSP 1.1.2 install with the latest GN and Planet Packs mentioned above.

wd74Nxs.png

49v56I9.png

Edited by nuclearping

17 minutes ago, nuclearping said:

Having the same problem. But not using RSS. I'm using "Alternis", "OPM" and "Uncharted Lands" planet packs.

I know the bug in earlier versions, where your KSC just was always at "night", but you could still see buildings. However this bug now, the complete ground is basically just black.

This is a fresh KSP 1.1.2 install with the latest GN and Planet Packs mentioned above.

wd74Nxs.png

49v56I9.png

could you try to reproduce this issue with only MM + Kopernicus + GN +  Alternis + OPM + Uncharted Lands

it might be an incompatibility issue with some of your other mods

There is another planet pack listed on CKAN "Kerbiting System"   Does it provide us anything new?  it seems to be just moving the default planets to a new order...  so not sure it has much value to this mod.

Just had a thought...

Could you use some method like the Load textures on demand mod that will make a low res and small in size place holder texture for the planets, and then just load the high res versions up while we are actively in that system, then unload again when we switch off again.  not sure this would help any but may cut down on memory usage for all the systems we have loaded.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

20 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

could you try to reproduce this issue with only MM + Kopernicus + GN +  Alternis + OPM + Uncharted Lands

it might be an incompatibility issue with some of your other mods

Ok, I tested that. And it looks normal, in terms of "usual Kopernicus bug":

urBVwL1.png

First I thought it might be related to Scatterer. But as it turned out it is somehow related to EVE.

As soon as I have EVE + Kopernicus + GN + Alternis + OPM + Uncharted Lands, it goes black. Even in game, not only in KSC.

I just tested bit and it seems to be caused by "Alternis" and / or "Uncharted Lands". It is working fine with EVE + Kopernicus + GN + OPM + EVE + Scatterer. But when I add "Alternis" or "Uncharted Lands", it goes black again. When I remove them, it goes back to normal.

Edited by nuclearping

1 minute ago, nuclearping said:

Ok, I tested that. And it looks normal, in terms of "usual Kopernicus bug":

urBVwL1.png

First I thought it might be related to Scatterer. But as it turned out it is somehow related to EVE.

As soon as I have EVE + Kopernicus + GN + Alternis + OPM + Uncharted Lands, it goes black. Even in game, not only in KSC.

I just tested bit and it seems to be caused by "Alternis" and / or "Uncharted Lands". It is working fine with EVE + Kopernicus + GN + OPM + EVE + Scatterer. But when I add "Alternis" or "Uncharted Lands", it goes black again. When I remove them, it goes back to normal.

hmm, try asking @KillAshley or @rbray89, maybe they are aware of some weirdness. I don't have any ideas honestly

what you could do, to rule out GN, is to reparent kerbin with a simple config and see what that does to the game:

so install MM + EVE + Kopernicus + Uncharted Lands

and add this config:

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
      @Body[Kerbin]
      {
            @Orbit
            {
                  @referenceBody = Jool
            }
      }
}

see if this triggers the bug as well

I did this.

This is how my GameData looks like and where I put the Kop_Bug.cfg.

gupFwBY.png

Now Kerbin has rings and orbits Jool and the whole Kerbol system looks quite different. So I guess Kopernicus and the Planet Pack works?

But I couldn't trigger the bug. MM seems to have loaded the new .cfg. KSC goes night / day, when I switch scenes. But never goes completely black.

Edit

Just put GN back into GameData (and removed Kopf_Buf.cfg) and the bug instantly reappears when I switch scenes.

Edit 2

Just removed "Uncharted Lands" and added "OPM". Switched scenes back and forth. Works. So the bug seems to be appearing in this setup (at least here): EVE + GN + Kopernicus + Uncharted Lands.

Edited by nuclearping

37 minutes ago, nuclearping said:

I did this.

This is how my GameData looks like and where I put the Kop_Bug.cfg.

Now Kerbin has rings and orbits Jool and the whole Kerbol system looks quite different. So I guess Kopernicus and the Planet Pack works?

But I couldn't trigger the bug. MM seems to have loaded the new .cfg. KSC goes night / day, when I switch scenes. But never goes completely black.

Edit

Just put GN back into GameData (and removed Kopf_Buf.cfg) and the bug instantly reappears when I switch scenes.

Edit 2

Just removed "Uncharted Lands" and added "OPM". Switched scenes back and forth. Works. So the bug seems to be appearing in this setup (at least here): EVE + GN + Kopernicus + Uncharted Lands.

This is probably a shadow config issue... Delete the shadow config or edit it to fix the body references for celestial shadows.

20 hours ago, rbray89 said:

This is probably a shadow config issue... Delete the shadow config or edit it to fix the body references for celestial shadows.

Yes, thats indeed working. I deleted the shadow.cfg from the "BoulderCo" folder. Couldn't reproduce the bug with EVE + Scatterer + GN + Kop + Alternis + UL + OPM so far now. :)

I found a planet pack, Kerbal Galaxy, that adds a couple of stars around a central black hole, somewhat similar to Galactic Neighborhood, but the stars aren't clustered like in GN.

What would it take to make Kerbal Galaxy compatible with GN?

1 hour ago, Amedee said:

I found a planet pack, Kerbal Galaxy, that adds a couple of stars around a central black hole, somewhat similar to Galactic Neighborhood, but the stars aren't clustered like in GN.

What would it take to make Kerbal Galaxy compatible with GN?

I don't plan to add KG compatibility. For more info:

Regarding stuff moving around, in my experience Sun, Kerbin, and Mun are "immutable", their IDs are always the same so bodies orbiting or landed on them stay there. Though remember Galactic Neighbourhood makes the Sun into the central black hole and Kerbin orbits a different star.

Every other body can have its ID changed if you add or remove planet packs. The stock bodies are less likely to change IDs but even they still can.

You can put vessels back by editing the savefile and checking the IDs from the Kopernicus.Log, or just use Hyperedit.

1 minute ago, Geschosskopf said:

Is there a way I can tweak this so that OPM is in the "Sun" system with Kerbin instead of off in a cloned system called "Helios" ?  Thanks.

yes, you need to write a mm config that moves the 4 opm planets around "StockSun" instead of "Helios"

3 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

yes, you need to write a mm config that moves the 4 opm planets around "StockSun" instead of "Helios"

Hmmm (pokes around in the various files and folders...)

OK, in the PlanetPacks\OPMsystem folder, I found OPM_PlanetFix.cfg.  This has lines for each planet that say "@referenceBody = Helios".  Is that what I change to "StockSun" ?

Also in the same folder is is OPM_AddStar.cfg, which seems to create the whole Helios system.  I'd rather not have a clone of the stock KSP system---the whole point is to see other star systems :).  So if I delete this file, will Helios and all its cloned planets go away?

Finally, most of the planet packs and star systems haven't been updated to 1.1.x yet.  Is that a problem?

7 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Hmmm (pokes around in the various files and folders...)

OK, in the PlanetPacks\OPMsystem folder, I found OPM_PlanetFix.cfg.  This has lines for each planet that say "@referenceBody = Helios".  Is that what I change to "StockSun" ?

Also in the same folder is is OPM_AddStar.cfg, which seems to create the whole Helios system.  I'd rather not have a clone of the stock KSP system---the whole point is to see other star systems :).  So if I delete this file, will Helios and all its cloned planets go away?

Finally, most of the planet packs and star systems haven't been updated to 1.1.x yet.  Is that a problem?

that should work, you should check out in game just to be sure

and regarding packs working on 1.1.2 I have no idea, if the mod works on its own then it will probably work fine in GN

if you find issues, try the planet pack on its own, and if the issue happens with GN but not without GN then report it here

if the issue happens both with and without GN then report it on that planet pack's thread

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.