Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

1 minute ago, cantab said:

Regarding performance, I have found that multiple planet packs have a cumulative impact on framerate, even without using Galactic Neighborhood. It's not much, I have about 80 mod worlds and take a 10% fps hit from that, but it's there and measurable.

it's probably due to the fact that you have much more stuff to calculate, textures to load, and stuff like that.

I think it's pretty understandable that if you want a lot of stuff the game will be impacted performance-wise.

I have taken a look and it doesn't seem like the hit is higher than expected, so it should probably be an issue of how much stuff your computer can handle.

just like with any other mods :D

1 hour ago, Met said:

Hey! Couldn't find your mod on ckan. Could you put it up there? Just too much of a pain trying to manage a bunch of mods without it.

if you read the last few pages of the official ckan thread you would see there is a bit of a situation right now preventing that from being a thing.

Edited by passinglurker

6 hours ago, Met said:

Hey! Couldn't find your mod on ckan. Could you put it up there? Just too much of a pain trying to manage a bunch of mods without it.

5 hours ago, passinglurker said:

if you read the last few pages of the official ckan thread you would see there is a bit of a situation right now preventing that from being a thing.

you'll also notice that @Sigma88 has decided to change licensing for all his mods due to the same issues. This new license prevents redistribution so CKAN will not be able to distribute it. Pro-tip - always check the licenses of mods

22 minutes ago, KillAshley said:

you'll also notice that @Sigma88 has decided to change licensing for all his mods due to the same issues. This new license prevents redistribution so CKAN will not be able to distribute it. Pro-tip - always check the licenses of mods

Technically using all rights reserved does not prevent ckan from doing its thing.

@Met I asked for my mods to be removed from ckan because I do not want to endorse the attitude of the team towards this community.

My mods will return to ckan when and if I see a change in this attitude.

As I said in the previous page, please let's keep the ckan talk on their thread and use this thread to talk about how the mod works, not how it's distributed.

Thanks to everybody.

Edited by Sigma88

I understand that applying this to an existing save game will make weird things happen; asteroids and objects around the wrong planets and so on. I understand that I can use something like Hyperedit to transfer objects to the correct planets, but with several hundred objects, it's tiring.

What I would like to figure out is how the game decides from a save game persistent.sfs file which planet an object is around or on. I have a theory - if I can find a body identifier field in the persistence file that tells the game where to put an object, I can find out what the 'wrong' identifier is, and replace it with the 'correct' identifier (found out by launching a dummy craft on the 'new' kerbin or something). This would be done with good old find/replace, and of course would be much faster and better than using hyperedit (it would not make flags fall over, for example). Maybe I'm an example of people being most creative when at their laziest.

If I'm correct about that, I wonder though if some debug features could be exposed? If it could be enabled to show a planet's "real", persistence file identifier within the game engine for example (perhaps while holding down a key in the tracking station), this would be very valuable for adding the mod (which is very exciting, thank you) to an existing save game by this relatively primitive method I've suggested, more quickly than by trial and error.

8 minutes ago, GavinZac said:

I understand that applying this to an existing save game will make weird things happen; asteroids and objects around the wrong planets and so on. I understand that I can use something like Hyperedit to transfer objects to the correct planets, but with several hundred objects, it's tiring.

What I would like to figure out is how the game decides from a save game persistent.sfs file which planet an object is around or on. I have a theory - if I can find a body identifier field in the persistence file that tells the game where to put an object, I can find out what the 'wrong' identifier is, and replace it with the 'correct' identifier (found out by launching a dummy craft on the 'new' kerbin or something). This would be done with good old find/replace, and of course would be much faster and better than using hyperedit (it would not make flags fall over, for example). Maybe I'm an example of people being most creative when at their laziest.

If I'm correct about that, I wonder though if some debug features could be exposed? If it could be enabled to show a planet's "real", persistence file identifier within the game engine for example (perhaps while holding down a key in the tracking station), this would be very valuable for adding the mod (which is very exciting, thank you) to an existing save game by this relatively primitive method I've suggested, more quickly than by trial and error.

I guess this is probably possible but (sadly) outside of my capabilities.

If you know anyone that would be interested in developing such a tool I would be happy to link it in the OP for everybody to use :)

the identifier you are looking for is found in the VESSEL node, inside a subnode called ORBIT look for a parameter called REF = *number*

Thanks, with that help I found it in the persist file and may have found a good way to do this switchover quickly. There's a useful source of this information already - Kopernicus seems to output very useful information on this to Kopernicus.log

[LOG 16:19:34]: Found Body: Joker:126 -> SOI = 2461948.5, Hill Sphere = 302483.630123454
[LOG 16:19:34]: Found Body: Moho:127 -> SOI = 9646663.02332811, Hill Sphere = 22060314.8155466

That number after the planet names is the REF. So I can use this to do my find-> replace.

Edit: It worked! Awesome.

My method:

1. Back up your persistent.sfs file.
  2. My craft were easy to locate in the save file because I named them all with their planet in the name (e.g. I name them things like Duna Probe Apollo). If you can, name your own crafts this way before installing the mod.
  3. Open KSP and launch the save game.
  4. Open Kopernicus.log (/KerbalSpaceProgram/logs/kopernicus.log) and scroll toward the end. Note the original planets, each of them having a new number (i'll call it Y)
  5. Using something like Notepad++, open persistent.sfs.
  6. Find a craft at each planet (i.e. a Duna Probe, which may no longer be at Duna), and find its planet reference number at VESSEL { ORB { REF = X
  7. Using Find/Replace All (use 'match whole word' to prevent matching partial matches incorrectly) replace REF = X with REF = Y
  8. Do this for a craft at each planet.
  9. Save persistent.sfs, and reload KSP to check everything's well.
Edited by GavinZac

3 minutes ago, Xblackmamba said:

Hey i'm having a big problem, whenever the active vessel is in a solar system the non-active vessels in another solar system start dissapearing one by one, anyone know whats up?

I will have to try and reproduce this issue.

Could you please confirm these things before I look into it?

1. ksp version and OS
  2. which mods you have installed

if you have a lot of mods you should strip down the install to the smallest number possible of mods

the idea would be:

• ModuleManager
  • Kopernicus
  • ModularFlightIntegrator (the version found in the kopernicus archive)
  • GN

you can add HyperEdit to help you put stuff in orbit, but remember to save and load everytime you use hyperedit, because if you don't weird stuff happens

3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I will have to try and reproduce this issue.

Could you please confirm these things before I look into it?

1. ksp version and OS
  2. which mods you have installed

if you have a lot of mods you should strip down the install to the smallest number possible of mods

the idea would be:

• ModuleManager
  • Kopernicus
  • ModularFlightIntegrator (the version found in the kopernicus archive)
  • GN

you can add HyperEdit to help you put stuff in orbit, but remember to save and load everytime you use hyperedit, because if you don't weird stuff happens

Hi and thanks (great mod by the way). Strangely I have been able to reproduce the bug with just GN (latest version), koppernicus (1.0.5) and hyperedit (latest) on ksp 1.1.2. This is really weird... i've just tried re-downloading all 3 mods on a fresh install... still there. The bug is really prominent, i'm surprised it hasn't come up!

Edited by Xblackmamba

4 hours ago, Xblackmamba said:

Hi and thanks (great mod by the way). Strangely I have been able to reproduce the bug with just GN (latest version), koppernicus (1.0.5) and hyperedit (latest) on ksp 1.1.2. This is really weird... i've just tried re-downloading all 3 mods on a fresh install... still there. The bug is really prominent, i'm surprised it hasn't come up!

Sorry but I've deleted my copy of ksp1.1.2 so I cannot test this on that version.

I'll try to reproduce it but I never jad this problem in the past

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Question, have you ever considered adding Rogue planets or Brown dwarfs?

There already is a brown dwarf, (TransKeptunian iirc)

as for Rogue planet, it would be a difficult addition since the premise of GN is that every different planet pack that is compatible will get loaded in a different star system.

I'm not opposed to the idea itself, I just need to find the right mod to do that with.

regarding the default GN star system, I don't think I will add stuff for now. There are already too many stars as is, other than the interesting orbital mechanics they don't really have much to offer

For the Rogue planet idea could you place the planet in orbit of the central black hole with an SMA similar to the GN stars such that they're among the other stars? Edit: Or maybe I'm not understanding something here...

Edited by wasml

6 hours ago, wasml said:

For the Rogue planet idea could you place the planet in orbit of the central black hole with an SMA similar to the GN stars such that they're among the other stars? Edit: Or maybe I'm not understanding something here...

Yes, that's probably where a rogue planet would end up if I added one.

On 6/30/2016 at 8:10 PM, Sigma88 said:

Sorry but I've deleted my copy of ksp1.1.2 so I cannot test this on that version.

I'll try to reproduce it but I never jad this problem in the past

I take it you couldn't reproduce my bug on 1.1.3? If so does this mod work on that version yet? And by the way wasml, i used the feature where you can save an edited planet location in hyperedit to put a planet from one of the packs into orbit of the center, this could be a temporary solution, it looked great with no light illuminating it!

2 hours ago, Xblackmamba said:

I take it you couldn't reproduce my bug on 1.1.3? If so does this mod work on that version yet? And by the way wasml, i used the feature where you can save an edited planet location in hyperedit to put a planet from one of the packs into orbit of the center, this could be a temporary solution, it looked great with no light illuminating it!

no I didn't have time to test this yet, sorry.

also, it looks like there are weird bugs in KSP 1.1.3 that are messing up orbits in New Horizons, and since Galactic Neighborhood reparents kerbin just like NH does it's totally possible that orbits are broken in GN as well

Edited by Sigma88

20 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

no I didn't have time to test this yet, sorry.

also, it looks like there are weird bugs in KSP 1.1.3 that are messing up orbits in New Horizons, and since Galactic Neighborhood reparents kerbin just like NH does it's totally possible that orbits are broken in GN as well

Ah no worries, sad to hear, :( good luck.

Alright, I added the Dedalus Fusion Engine to KSP Interstellar Extended, the first slower than light engine mend for interstellar travel. It should allow you to travel to neighboring stars with Advanced Fusion Tech. I haven't had the time to fully test it in practice. I would appreciate if player playing Galactic Neighborhood could test it out by traveling to a neighbor star and report the time it took there, either a flyby or interception

Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, I added the Dedalus Fusion Engine to KSP Interstellar Extended, the first slower than light engine mend for interstellar travel. It should allow you to travel to neighboring stars with Advanced Fusion Tech. I haven't had the time to fully test it in practice. I would appreciate if player playing Galactic Neighborhood could test it out by traveling to a neighbor star and report the time it took there, either a flyby or interception

With the least delta V expended it took 289yrs to reach the closest star and in the 1000s for the further ones. I couldn't figure out the engine, it seemed to run out of tritium and deuterium very quickly in ksp 1.1.2

13 hours ago, Xblackmamba said:

With the least delta V expended it took 289yrs to reach the closest star and in the 1000s for the further ones. I couldn't figure out the engine, it seemed to run out of tritium and deuterium very quickly in ksp 1.1.2

289yrs? Interesting To what speed did you speed up before coasting? Note that when traveling to a star, minimum delta V will simply take too long , instead you want to speed as much as possible so that the trip will not require ages. Try to speed up at least at 100 times the minimum DeltaV, then the trip should only take 3 years. Off cource this will require a lot more fuel.

Your vessel is supposed to look something like this:

daedalus.jpg

When using the Deadalus, you are expected to bring a bunch of tanks with LqdDeuterium / LqdHelium3 along on the trip, otherwise you will indeed run out of fuel very quick

Edited by FreeThinker

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

289yrs? Interesting To what speed did you speed up before coasting? Note that when traveling to a star, minimum delta V will simply take too long , instead you want to speed as much as possible so that the trip will not require ages. Try to speed up at least at 100 times the minimum DeltaV, then the trip should only take 3 years. Off cource this will require a lot more fuel.

Your vessel is supposed to look something like this:

When using the Deadalus, you are expected to bring a many tanks of LqdDeuterium / LqdHelium3 with you on the trip, otherwise you will indeed run out of fuel very quick

Done, I really like the engine, as a galactic neighborhood player its really nice to be able to go interstellar before unlocking the whole tech tree. Ultimately the whole voyage could take less than a year to reach the closest star, even then i only burned about 5% of my fuel! The combination of the high ISP and the fact you can time warp whilst it burns makes things really easy. By the way i kind of feel like an idiot but how do you attach an image to a comment?

7 minutes ago, Xblackmamba said:

Done, I really like the engine, as a galactic neighborhood player its really nice to be able to go interstellar before unlocking the whole tech tree. Ultimately the whole voyage could take less than a year to reach the closest star, even then i only burned about 5% of my fuel! The combination of the high ISP and the fact you can time warp whilst it burns makes things really easy.

Yes, the Daedalus is indeed an enabeler, however reseaching the tech is just half of the work. In carrer, you also have to collect enough Helium3 for the trip (as helium3 is simply too expansive to buy), which you fortunatly can do now as well from either from surface of the Mun / Moho or from the atmospheres of the Gas Giants. Just setting up the infrastructure should be quite a chalange. I wonder who will be the first one who can succesfully reach a neighbouring star in a carrer game

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.