Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

It's possibly even less noticeable on non-brown bodies.

I'm not sure; I could see a case for leaving it or I could see a case for upping the brightness. If the brightness is left as is, landing would probably be an interesting challenge.

- - - Updated - - -

I have discovered that putting the Other_Worlds system into Helios orbit livens up the system quite a bit after removing the inner planets.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Here's the (fairly rudimentary, I don't like things that involve calculations) config:

@Kopernicus:NEEDS[OtherWorlds]:AFTER[OtherWorlds]
{
@Body[Troni]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Helios
}
}
@Body[Vassa]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Helios
}
}
@Body[Pequar]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Helios
}
}
@Body[Nienna]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Helios
}
}
@Body[Prima-Secunda]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Helios
}
}
!Body[Cercani] {}
}

I'm also thinking that it would be really interesting to put something in orbit of one of the weird star systems (say, K-Stor, Algok, or Prok/Kseema). Perhaps New Horizons' compatibility config for Kerbol+ could serve as inspiration for appropriating planet systems.

EDIT: If I get the time, I might throw together a New Horizons config that throws everything into a weird orbit around a weird star.

Edited by Whovian

It's possibly even less noticeable on non-brown bodies.

I'm not sure; I could see a case for leaving it or I could see a case for upping the brightness. If the brightness is left as is, landing would probably be an interesting challenge.

I'll probably check it out myself, you made me curious :)

I still want the light to be dim, but I don't want it to be extreme.

I have discovered that putting the Other_Worlds system into Helios orbit livens up the system quite a bit
after removing the inner planets.

http://imgur.com/a/YBii5

Here's the (fairly rudimentary, I don't like things that involve calculations) config:

{
@Body[Troni]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Helios
}
}
@Body[Vassa]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Helios
}
}
@Body[Pequar]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Helios
}
}
@Body[Nienna]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Helios
}
}
@Body[Prima-Secunda]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Helios
}
}
!Body[Cercani] {}
}

Other_Worlds will be added in one of the next patches. It already has it's own star so I'll probably just put the star somewhere in the system

I don't plan to mix and match planet packs, except for very few exceptions. but it's very easy to move the planets around, as you proved with your cfg

so anyone is free to get the setup he/she likes the most :)

I'm also thinking that it would be really interesting to put something in orbit of one of the weird star systems (say, K-Stor, Algok, or Prok/Kseema). Perhaps New Horizons' compatibility config for Kerbol+ could serve as inspiration for appropriating planet systems.

EDIT: If I get the time, I might throw together a New Horizons config that throws everything into a weird orbit around a weird star.

when the most important bits will be finished I may go back and add some rocks around those stars.

The planets themselves won't be interesting at all, but they will be placed in strategic orbits so that the view of the star systems will be the major attraction.

As far as I know KillAshley is working on a compatibility cfg to include NH in GN. And it will be slightly different than the classic NH setup.

But feel free to experiment :)

Quick thing to point out: the orbital periods of the stars aren't the same, so the orbits should desync after sufficiently long passes.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a config I threw together to put Other_Worlds' star into the system (I kind of made up the orbital radius and inclination, so feel free to tweak it) and put the Sentar Expansion planets into orbit around it too:

{
@Body[Cercani]
{
@Properties
{
@description = When astronomers discovered this star, they thought they were looking at a black hole. Thankfully, Roger Kenrose clarified that black holes usually don’t emit blinding levels of light.
@sphereOfInfluence = 2e12
}
@Orbit
{
@inclination = 6
@semiMajorAxis = 0.991e14
@argumentOfPeriapsis = 90
@longitudeOfAscendingNode = 270
@meanAnomalyAtEpoch = 0.1
@epoch = 0
}
}
}

@Kopernicus:NEEDS[SentarExpansion]:AFTER[OtherWorlds]
{
@Body[Ablate]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Cercani
}
}
@Body[Ascension]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Cercani
}
}
@Body[Barney]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Cercani
}
}
@Body[Inaccessable]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Cercani
}
}
@Body[Sentar]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Cercani
}
}
}

You'll need to edit Barney's cfg so it says :AFTER[Kopernicus] instead of :FINAL to get it to work right.It's untested but I'm seeing if it works right now.

EDIT: If you make the edit to Barney's cfg, it works. Also, the PlanetFactory planets look gorgeous in dim orange starlight. The only problem is that Cercani's orbit is invisible black in the tracking station (and probably the map view as well) for some reason.

EDIT 2: Apparently that's part of Outer_Worlds and is not my fault. Whew!

Edited by Whovian

Quick thing to point out: the orbital periods of the stars aren't the same, so the orbits should desync after sufficiently long passes.

The stars will desync because they don't orbit at the same speed? WE NEED DARK MATTER TO SOLVE THIS!

The orbital period of the stars are too long to see any movement. They move something like ~1° every ~250years. And since 250years is the maximum time KSP can handle, it's pointless to time warp after that.

Here's a config I threw together to put Other_Worlds' star into the system (I kind of made up the orbital radius and inclination, so feel free to tweak it) and put the Sentar Expansion planets into orbit around it too.

You'll need to edit Barney's cfg so it says :AFTER[Kopernicus] instead of :FINAL to get it to work right.It's untested but I'm seeing if it works right now.

EDIT: If you make the edit to Barney's cfg, it works. Also, the PlanetFactory planets look gorgeous in dim orange starlight. The only problem is that Cercani's orbit is invisible black in the tracking station (and probably the map view as well) for some reason.

EDIT 2: Apparently that's part of Outer_Worlds and is not my fault. Whew!

the sentar expansion .cfg is ready in my dev.version, I am waiting for borisbee to fix his configs so I can release it

as for Other_worlds, I haven't looked into it yet. maybe today I can get some time to do that.

Galactic Network Aplha v0.0.3 is now available

download was moved from Dropbox to Github

dev.version is also be available, but support will only be given to the released version.

Download

[TABLE=width: 90]

[TR]

[TD=align: center]5IdGJ3n.png

@GitHub[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Changelog

[TABLE=width: 600]

[TR]

[TD]

[B]v0.0.3
[/B]
- Now Requires Kopernicus 0.3.3
- Added compatibility with ChaniSystem
- Added compatibility with OtherWorlds
- Added compatibility with Sentar Expansion

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

report issues here

Edited by Sigma88

Quick question. I'm planning to make my own configs for New Horizons (because why not) and would like to do a weird thing with Serran and Moh. How believable would it be to have a binary gas giant system with a moon in an extremely tight orbit around one of them? The fact that 3-body systems, even if one has negligible mass, are chaotic tells me this would probably be an issue, but perhaps it wouldn't be if the orbit's tight enough.

Also, quick request: could the cloud patch for OPM also copy Eeloo's clouds?

Edited by Whovian

Quick question. I'm planning to make my own configs for New Horizons (because why not) and would like to do a weird thing with Serran and Moh. How believable would it be to have a binary gas giant system with a moon in an extremely tight orbit around one of them? The fact that 3-body systems, even if one has negligible mass, are chaotic tells me this would probably be an issue, but perhaps it wouldn't be if the orbit's tight enough.

well, this is ksp :) I think it will be fine if you manage to make it look like it's not 100% impossible.

QuAlso, quick request: could the cloud patch for OPM also copy Eeloo's clouds?

Darn it, completely forgot about that.

could you post an issue on github so I remember? I'm a little busy with bringing the opm stuff up to speed with 1.8

Ack

Do I need a Github account for that? AFAIK I don't have one already.

yeah, but it's free and very easy. plus many mods have a github page where you can post issue, and that helps a lot with keeping track of every single stuff I need to change.

by the way it's not mandatory :)

but it would be more difficult forgetting about it ;)

Edited by Sigma88

Sigma, what's wrong with more than 1 planet pack in the same star system? TK is designed to go with OPM or SE..

I know, but it can also be used without those mods. And since I want to preserve the original mods as much as possible I decided not to mix different mods.

That said, nothing stops people from releasing a set of configs to rearrange the planets and stars found in GN :)

Er ... why isn't this editing Sonnah's orbit?

@Kopernicus:NEEDS[New_Horizons]:AFTER[New_Horizons]
{
@Body[Ernus]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Algok A
@semiMajorAxis = 1238400000
}
}
@Body[Sonnah]
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Algok
@semiMajorAxis = 22075069804
@inclination = 8
@eccentricity = 0.128
}
}
}

Same goes if I replace "Algok" with "Algok A."

Er ... why isn't this editing Sonnah's orbit?

@Kopernicus:NEEDS[New_Horizons]:AFTER[New_Horizons]
{
@Body[Ernus]
{
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Algok A
@semiMajorAxis = 1238400000
}
}
@Body[Sonnah]
@Orbit
{
@referenceBody = Algok
@semiMajorAxis = 22075069804
@inclination = 8
@eccentricity = 0.128
}
}
}

Same goes if I replace "Algok" with "Algok A."

because. i don't know..... I'll need to check that :D

to me it looks like it should work

Edited by Sigma88

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.