Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

21 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@aluc24 :P 

1. Copy your KSP install to a new place.
  2. Insert GN into the copy install.
  3. Let it rip.
  4. Let us know how it turned out.

Surprisingly enough, it actually launched! For some reason, planets from OPM were moved to their own system (Helios), instead of revolving around the Sun (Kerbol). Also, it seems that the Sun is a lot darker when flying in Kerbin. I just launched a plane for testing, and it's really dark, like in dusk, although the sky is bright blue. Is this a known issue?

@aluc24 I'm glad GN worked for you. GN relocates OPM on purpose. I don't know the exact reason but it's a good one and it helps the purpose of this mod. It's not a career-oriented mod. It's mainly for sandbox fun. As for your dark Kerbin issue, it may indeed be a known issue. It happens when Kerbin is reparented to a star that's not the center of the universe. If it's something else, Sigma should know.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

@aluc24 I'm glad GN worked for you. GN relocates OPM on purpose. I don't know the exact reason but it's a good one and it helps the purpose of this mod. It's not a career-oriented mod. It's mainly for sandbox fun. As for your dark Kerbin issue, it may indeed be a known issue. It happens when Kerbin is reparented to a star that's not the center of the universe. If it's something else, Sigma should know.

I see... I was aware that reparenting makes KSC view dark, but not that the whole Kerbin goes dark when in-flight... That part really sucks :D

1 minute ago, aluc24 said:

but not that the whole Kerbin goes dark when in-flight... That part really sucks :D

It's dark in-flight too? Now that's a problem. Find any of Sigma's comments and click the nyan-cat in his signature. Post logs, dude.

18 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

It's dark in-flight too? Now that's a problem. Find any of Sigma's comments and click the nyan-cat in his signature. Post logs, dude.

Uh... That's a lot to upload... Alright. Here goes.

@Sigma88 , I have a bug to report. With GN installed, there seems to be far less light coming from the Sun to Kerbin. Not just in KSC view (I know about that bug), but in-flight. It's very dark compared to normal.

The files you requested in your bug report description:

1. Settings.cfg

2. and 6.... Mod list in form of GameData screenshot. There are just too many names to transcribe by hand.

3. Log;

4. Couldn't find cache in Gamedata.

5. Kopernicus logs;

7. No mods of yours except GN.

Also adding a screenshot of the dark Kerbin in-flight, mid-day. The ambient light is set to 0%, but I get a lot more light without GN.

https://ufile.io/1nyh0

Now, I know you said minimum amount of mods... But thing is, I'm running like 70 of them, and my game loads for 15 minutes each time (slow laptop). Testing which, if any of the mods cause the problem, would take forever. I'm pretty sure it's some interaction thing, but narrowing it down without any clue what to look for... 

Is this a known bug?

Also, since i'm running Kerbalism, I often get message "crossing radiation belt, exposed to extreme radiation" even when the vessel is sitting on the runway. I'm not sure if there ever was any intention of making GN and Kerbalism compatible, but mentioning it just in case...

Edited by aluc24

4 hours ago, aluc24 said:

Hey, I want to try this mod out, but since it involves re-doing career altogether, I wanted to ask, are there any serious bugs or performance issues still present in this mod? I went through a dozen pages on this thread, but I'm still not sure. Hope you don't mind me asking :/ I already run 70+ mods, and I'm not sure if it's worth trying this, all things considered.

I'm running a heavily modified campaign too, here's my bug list so far. Not all might be attributable to GN though:

1: Weird eclipse on the mun, perhaps some emerging issue with scatterer, even if I disable it.

2: Career - Early missions sometimes point you to bodies outside the solar system since some mods rework the missions list. 

3: Some orbit path wobbliness that -might- be due to precision issues, but so far no space krakens or orbits getting messed up. 

4: Some other mods that specifically require the vanilla sun as part of hardcoded behavior think the sun is the galactic core and not the Kerbin sun (called internally stocksun) - some of these errors are manually patchable if you know your way around cfg files.

5: A couple dozen minor incompatibilities I had to manually smooth out by removing or editing patch and cfg files. I set this mod combo a month ago though, so I don't remember them all. 

8 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I can't look at bug reports untill next week since I'm abroad but I think your problem is that you are using kopernicus 1.3.1-3

Go back to 1.3.1-2 and it should fix the darkness issue

Thank you, that fixed the light issue, but I must say, my system is taking a huge performance hit using GN, even without any planet packs... Is this to be expected?

1 hour ago, aluc24 said:

Thank you, that fixed the light issue, but I must say, my system is taking a huge performance hit using GN, even without any planet packs... Is this to be expected?

On a clean ksp install with just GN and dependancies I don't get much different performance compared to stock

If you are installing any planet pack for the first time kopernicus might need to generate new cache files. If that is the case you will need to restart the game after the generation of cache files because that process uses a lot of ram

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

On a clean ksp install with just GN and dependancies I don't get much different performance compared to stock

If you are installing any planet pack for the first time kopernicus might need to generate new cache files. If that is the case you will need to restart the game after the generation of cache files because that process uses a lot of ram

I see. Thank you. Just wanted to ask, are there any serious known bugs or issues within GN or in combination with other big, popular addons (like KCT, FAR, Kerbalism, DMagic, Interstellar, KAS/KIS, etc.) that would reveal further into the game? I'm testing GN as far as I can now, but I'm wondering if it's reasonable to expect that GN will work all the way with the heavy modlist that I have, considering that it changes the core of the game.

Edited by aluc24

@aluc24

The only real bug that I'm aware of is the kopernicus bug where the ksc scene looks bad bacause kerbin is reparented.

And the stuff mentioned earlier in the thread about the sentinel parts not working properly.

However I haven't put in any effort to make sure the mods you mentioned work on GN.

Some should work out of the box (like FAR/MJ/KER/KAS-KIS/Interstellar...)

Some mods don't allow multiple stars and so they are not compatible until the devs fix those problems (DOE, CC packs)

Some will require custom configs for GN which I don't have time to make and so will work only if someone decides to make those cfgs (EVE/Scatterer)

Other than that, I also have not done any work on career stuff because there's little to no reason to make a career game in GN since going interstellar would require finishing the career beforehand 

2 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

@aluc24

The only real bug that I'm aware of is the kopernicus bug where the ksc scene looks bad bacause kerbin is reparented.

And the stuff mentioned earlier in the thread about the sentinel parts not working properly.

However I haven't put in any effort to make sure the mods you mentioned work on GN.

Some should work out of the box (like FAR/MJ/KER/KAS-KIS/Interstellar...)

Some mods don't allow multiple stars and so they are not compatible until the devs fix those problems (DOE, CC packs)

Some will require custom configs for GN which I don't have time to make and so will work only if someone decides to make those cfgs (EVE/Scatterer)

Other than that, I also have not done any work on career stuff because there's little to no reason to make a career game in GN since going interstellar would require finishing the career beforehand 

I see. Thank you. Is there any hope for the KSC bug due to reparenting being fixed? I heard it has been present for quite a while, and it comes from Kopernicus. Is it at all fixable?

Hey, @Sigma88 , sorry to bother you again, but is there any hope of making GN compatible with Kerbalism? Right now, the solar panels of Kerbalism don't track the Sun, but instead, some other object (Galactic Core, maybe?), and do not produce EC. No pressure, just wondering if you are aware of it.

1 hour ago, aluc24 said:

Hey, @Sigma88 , sorry to bother you again, but is there any hope of making GN compatible with Kerbalism? Right now, the solar panels of Kerbalism don't track the Sun, but instead, some other object (Galactic Core, maybe?), and do not produce EC. No pressure, just wondering if you are aware of it.

Sounds like Kerbalism is hardwired to assume the central body of the galaxy is the only sun.

This issue needs to be solved by the devs of that mod. There is nothing I can do about that. 

2 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Sounds like Kerbalism is hardwired to assume the central body of the galaxy is the only sun.

This issue needs to be solved by the devs of that mod. There is nothing I can do about that. 

I see... I wrote to that thread, but the dev of Kerbalism is away indefinitely. Thank you for the clarification.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking a technical question - I tried several multi-system mods now, and GN is the only one that doesn't cause excessive game load times and incredible RAM usage, even when I add a lot of stars and planets to GN. For example, KSS and IAR make KSP take 15 minutes to load, even with just a few extra solar systems. GN loads under 5 minutes, even with 5 extra solar systems. How do you manage such efficiency?

1 hour ago, aluc24 said:

I see... I wrote to that thread, but the dev of Kerbalism is away indefinitely. Thank you for the clarification.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking a technical question - I tried several multi-system mods now, and GN is the only one that doesn't cause excessive game load times and incredible RAM usage, even when I add a lot of stars and planets to GN. For example, KSS and IAR make KSP take 15 minutes to load, even with just a few extra solar systems. GN loads under 5 minutes, even with 5 extra solar systems. How do you manage such efficiency?

Stars have almost no impact on RAM usage, the worst offenders are planets with a lot of textures. Basically all the ram usage you see using GN comes from the stock game and the planet packs. GN itself adds at most 100mb to the RAM (I have never tested it, but I would be surprised if it was more than 50mb tbh)

Edited by Sigma88

Just now, Sigma88 said:

Stars have basically no impact on RAM usage, the worst offenders are planets with a lot of textures. Basically all the ram usage you see using GN comes from the stock game and the planet packs. GN itself adds at most 100mb to the RAM (I have never tested it, but I would be surprised if it was more than 50mb tbh)

I see... But why then other multi-system mods are such RAM hoggers, even with minimum amount of planets? I contacted several devs of these mods, but no one could explain it properly :o

Just now, aluc24 said:

I see... But why then other multi-system mods are such RAM hoggers, even with minimum amount of planets? I contacted several devs of these mods, but no one could explain it properly :o

I haven't tried those mods so I wouldn't know.

Keep in mind that when you load a new planet pack for the first time kopernicus might need to generate cache files and that will increase loading times/ram usage

My suggestion when installing a new planet pack is to run the game once, close it when you reach the main menu and run the game again

On the second run you should see lower ram usage.

Other than that, maybe the planet pack you are using in gn are using ram more efficiently than the planets provided by those other galaxy mods.

Stuff like Kopernicus OnDemand or the use of certain PQSMods can greatly improve ram usage. And even the type of texture (png vs dds) can have  big impact on loading times

3 hours ago, Shad_The_Knight said:

So do I need to set LoadAllStars in the settings file to true or do I leave that there? Because without doing that, nothing else appears other than the pre-installed stars.

If you install only GN what you get is only the base stars, if you also install some of the supported planet packs, GN will generate an extra star for each planet pack and put the planet pack there.

If you want all the stars to be generated regardless of whether the corresponding planet pack is installed or not, you can change LoadAllStars to true

On 12/8/2017 at 6:00 PM, Sigma88 said:

I can't look at bug reports untill next week since I'm abroad but I think your problem is that you are using kopernicus 1.3.1-3

Go back to 1.3.1-2 and it should fix the darkness issue

I have a similar issue except half of kerbin is blue. Looks like a really thick atmosphere as there is land mass at sea level. Really only an issue when in orbit or looking at map view. Im guessing its an issue with eve..sve...or scatterer. Troubleshoot halp??

I also had a question if its possible to disable certain star systems within GN. I have about 3 PPs installed and they all revolve around their respective star. But the star systems without planets id like to remove(at least a couple) like the triple star binary. I dont think ill be visiting that system. On that note...how possible would it be to be able to assign PPs to a specific star?? Im asuming that idea would require the planetpack mod devs to make a custom cfg for the particular star/binary system they want to revolve? Specifically taylored to gn.

Basically im curious how these planetpacks could be implemented into a binary system. (gpp or kerbal rejiggered systems revolving around 2 or 3 stars? <--Example) just  a thought.

1 hour ago, Jesusthebird said:

I have a similar issue except half of kerbin is blue. Looks like a really thick atmosphere as there is land mass at sea level. Really only an issue when in orbit or looking at map view. Im guessing its an issue with eve..sve...or scatterer. Troubleshoot halp??

I also had a question if its possible to disable certain star systems within GN. I have about 3 PPs installed and they all revolve around their respective star. But the star systems without planets id like to remove(at least a couple) like the triple star binary. I dont think ill be visiting that system. On that note...how possible would it be to be able to assign PPs to a specific star?? Im asuming that idea would require the planetpack mod devs to make a custom cfg for the particular star/binary system they want to revolve? Specifically taylored to gn.

Basically im curious how these planetpacks could be implemented into a binary system. (gpp or kerbal rejiggered systems revolving around 2 or 3 stars? <--Example) just  a thought.

GalacticNeighborhood does not play well with visual mods and is not meant to. The likely problem with visual mods (namely scatterer) is that their references to the Sun causes them to see the Galactic Core as the light source.

There is no option to turn off any of GN's default stars. It's not a galactic neighborhood anymore if the neighborhood is totally empty. Related: in its settings.cfg there is a toggle for "LoadAllStars" which means every star for all its supported planet packs. That is off by default.

Changing where a planet pack appears is entirely up to Sigma and he likely will not support anyone trying to change GN to meet their needs. The only thing he asks of planet modders is that their kopernicus configNodes are formatted properly.

Lastly, some of us planet modders (especially the owners of GPP and Alternis Kerbol) are pretty critical of having anything at all adjusted that could irl upset planetary ecosystems or orbital stability.

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

GalacticNeighborhood does not play well with visual mods and is not meant to. The likely problem with visual mods (namely scatterer) is that their references to the Sun causes them to see the Galactic Core as the light source.

There is no option to turn off any of GN's default stars. It's not a galactic neighborhood anymore if the neighborhood is totally empty. Related: in its settings.cfg there is a toggle for "LoadAllStars" which means every star for all its supported planet packs. That is off by default.

Changing where a planet pack appears is entirely up to Sigma and he likely will not support anyone trying to change GN to meet their needs. The only thing he asks of planet modders is that their kopernicus configNodes are formatted properly.

Lastly, some of us planet modders (especially the owners of GPP and Alternis Kerbol) are pretty critical of having anything at all adjusted that could irl upset planetary ecosystems or orbital stability.

Yea it was more just a thought of...how to incorporate those binary systems he made, with planets. As of now there isnt much point to head to those systems minus parking a probe for a "i did it and its lookin cool." If something like that were to happen I imagine it would be a build specifically made for GN. And i imagine thats like starting from scratch. So i see what you meen.

I did get a pm from sigma today. Regarding removal of star systems.

"'you can just delete the folder of the star system you don't want from "GameData/GalacticNeighborhood/StarSystems"'

I've managed to run GN fine with graphics mods so far. Scatterer conveniently includes a illumination source flag in its configs, which can be toggled individually for each planet.

Spoiler

86AJmBV.png?1

In other news, gotta love emergent bugs interactions between mods. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.