"Eve: Order Zero" -- a KSP Graphic Novel (POSTLUDE COMPLETE...bet you didn't see THAT coming.)

8mfRRXO.png

- - - Updated - - -

"Pour Kerbfleet ! Pour la science !"
D'accord, but I liked the sound of 'vive!' better than the literal translation. Anyway, that's what they all yell at l'École Polykerbique, and I`m sticking with it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don`t know that game, but am I to understand they kicked you off the server for yelling "vive la science!" too loud? If so, Yukon, you are my hero! See, if you'd yelled "pour la science!" instead, it wouldn't have been nearly as badS :D

Y'know, there is a very fun mod called "Docking sounds". No more "click". It's rather: "ka-CHUNG! CLANG! CLANG! CLANG!" :D Also, of course Clauselle knows how to make 'le booze' - she's an engineer. N'est-ce pas?

[...]of course Clauselle knows how to make 'le booze' - she's an engineer. N'est-ce pas?
Oh yes, of course she does--but for some reason she had the "nervous kerbal" look in the Hitchhiker... I guess she must be worried about getting into trouble with M. Dilsby.

- - - Updated - - -

'Yarely' is a very cool word.

Isn't it though? A useful tag to help differentiate 'navy' personnel like Dilsby and Gregmore from Air Service types like Jeb and Tedus. One of these days if I want to get some infractions, I'll ask Mister Geschosskopf to supply me some real Navy words. :)

Well we wouldn't want the comic to become boring, would we? My English teacher taught me there are several kinds of conflict in fiction. I don't remember them all, but I think some of the main ones are Kerbal vs. Malfunctioning Equipment, Kerbal vs. Orbital Mechanics, and Kerbal vs. Annoying Other Kerbal.... or something. See, this is why I became an engineer and not a writer. That, and engineers get paid sometimes. :)

We humans are a rather unimaginative lot. The ancient Greeks identified those same types of stories and we've never invented any more since.

Oh yes, of course she does--but for some reason she had the "nervous kerbal" look in the Hitchhiker... I guess she must be worried about getting into trouble with M. Dilsby.

Le KerbFleetard à l'hosto

Le KerbFleetard à l'hosto

Respirant le parfum de gog'no

Croit vagu'ment sentir l'eau d'Botot

Ah, la belle vie que l'on mène

Dans le KerbFleet, dans le KerbFleet

Ah, la belle vie que l'on mène

Dans le KerbFleet, dans le KerbFleet

Cribbed from this

I don`t know that game, but am I to understand they kicked you off the server for yelling "vive la science!" too loud? If so, Yukon, you are my hero! See, if you'd yelled "pour la science!" instead, it wouldn't have been nearly as badS :D

That's a game called Team Fortress 2. It's a free to play game on Steam. Also, the title of the newest page fits well with your mod.

Edited by RAINCRAFTER

Also, the title of the newest page fits well with your mod.

Not a coincidence :)

- - - Updated - - -

We humans are a rather unimaginative lot. The ancient Greeks identified those same types of stories and we've never invented any more since.

You would love tvtropes.org, if you've never been there. (Warning: infinite time suck!)

Love the song, a couple of words I need to look up though :) Turns out there is no Kerbfleet cavalry branch. Closest thing we have is the KSMC (Kerbfleet Surface Mobility Corps) Technically a branch of the Space Service, they specialize in piloting rovers.

ETA: "From the rolling hills of Du-u-na, to the shores of Laythe's seas...", etc.

Edited by Kuzzter

You would love tvtropes.org, if you've never been there. (Warning: infinite time suck!)

Yeah, I stepped into that from some links you posted, especially "Heroic BSOD", you evil git. I wasted halft a workday looking at that instead of this forum :).

Love the song, a couple of words I need to look up though :) Turns out there is no Kerbfleet cavalry branch. Closest thing we have is the KSMC (Kerbfleet Surface Mobility Corps) Technically a branch of the Space Service, they specialize in piloting rovers.

Well, it doesn't have to be a cavalry song. I think the spirit of it goes well with any dangerous enterprise. Some Cajun firemen sing "Dans le FD" :).

Of course, this YouTube version was sung by an official French Army choir and put on CDs for international circulation (I have a copy) so is extremely clean. There are, of course, much more bawdy versions true to what the rankers actually sang, if you care to look.

And of course, another barracksroom ballad.

Edited by Geschosskopf

Well, it doesn't have to be a cavalry song. I think the spirit of it goes well with any dangerous enterprise. Some Cajun firemen sing "Dans le FD" :).

Noted! All right, we'll add it to the official KF songlist :)

- - - Updated - - -

What mods do you use?

I saw SCANsat, and kerbal engineer clock in the novel. Are there any more?

Very few. Alarm clock, KER, EVE with Astronomer's Visual Pack, and I just added Texture Replacer so that the helmets will come off when in IVA. That scansat is stock :)

- - - Updated - - -

Again, hilarious, you have better skills in MS Paint/GIMP/Photoshop than me,VIVE LA SCIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENCE lol

Thank you! I've been using PowerPoint at work for about 20 years, and am just cutting and pasting pieces of screenshots.

kiaQDxI.png

mqhKOC7.png

43SrvVk.png

Before anyone asks--no, Kerbfleet rank and branch of service do NOT appear in my actual persistence file (but wouldn't that be a cool mod? :D ) However those are indeed Melbe's real stats: very brave, very stupid, very badS. No wonder she's always smiling, bless her heart!

- - - Updated - - -

Dangit. That sodium pun NEEDS rep.
I appreciate the sentiment, and of course the prior +5 :)

I wonder if I could manage that on Ike, there were a couple of biomes where I did a 'one landing leg and engines' landing just long enough to trigger my science action group, and this sort of approach would let me get the EVA and surface samples that cannot go into the action group...

Nope, Ike has > 20x the gravity of Gilly. Even twice the gravity of Minmus, with higher peaks. Bummer.

(not that I actually need the science mind you)

Edited by Terwin

I wonder if I could manage that on Ike, there were a couple of biomes where I did a 'one landing leg and engines' landing just long enough to trigger my science action group, and this sort of approach would let me get the EVA and surface samples that cannot go into the action group...

Nope, Ike has > 20x the gravity of Gilly. Even twice the gravity of Minmus, with higher peaks. Bummer.

(not that I actually need the science mind you)

Oh, I wouldn't bet against a determined EVA maniac. Delta-V map lists 390 m/s to/from a 10km Ike orbit. Jetpack holds about 550. If you started out real low and decelerated just enough so that the kerbonaut could take the impact on his head, he might survive and only spend minimal jetpack fuel. Then if he walked to the top of a peak and hit the jets from there he could certainly make some kind of orbit--or at least get high enough that a passing ship could grab him, like what happened in this thread.

ETA: A more recent thread on munar jetpacking

Terwin, I think you should give it a go in sandbox, and maybe put up a Challenge :)

Heheh, good ol' Gilly. It would be a very fun place to play if you could warp there at lower altitudes. As it stands, everything moves SO SLOWLY there that I rapidly get aggravated with the place. It takes most of your available playtime to do 1 simple maneuver. It must be that in KSP, General Relativy's time dilation happens at bodies of very low mass, the opposite of here :).

Heheh, good ol' Gilly. It would be a very fun place to play if you could warp there at lower altitudes. As it stands, everything moves SO SLOWLY there that I rapidly get aggravated with the place. It takes most of your available playtime to do 1 simple maneuver. It must be that in KSP, General Relativy's time dilation happens at bodies of very low mass, the opposite of here :).

Glad to be gone from there now with a full load of fuel in both ships... I would have gone insane, had I not thought to switch POV to the orbiting Scansat or Evestation whenever I had a ship under 8000m (below which only physics warp is allowed, for those who don't know) Somehow always managed to switch back before crashing :)

How do you break a ship on Gilly? By falling asleep on the controls, of course!

Or by getting too aggressive with thrusting toward the ground to speed up a landing. I had some huge monster of a fuel base going there one time and forgot to put any upwards-facing RCS on it, so had to point at the ground to speed things up. Then it lacked enough control authority to rotate back in time, and hit the ground sideways :)

Glad to be gone from there now with a full load of fuel in both ships... I would have gone insane, had I not thought to switch POV to the orbiting Scansat or Evestation whenever I had a ship under 8000m (below which only physics warp is allowed, for those who don't know) Somehow always managed to switch back before crashing :)

Tip: you can set a KAC alarm for when you reach a distance above a body (in the rendevous tab). I use it all the time for aerobrake alarms, but if you set it a touch over the highest peaks of a planetoid you will always get a notice before it crashes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.