KSP V1.1 and OSX

Warning! This is a terrible whine thread! Proceed with caution!*

*The thread owner

So, I'm very sad now. KSP just doesn't work for me because of this stupid OSX incompatibility. It freezes after every 10 minutes and is just impossible to play ;.;. I doubt that I can solve these problems, but this thread is not about my problems. So, my question: will Squad fix OSX problems with version 1.1? I hope they will, these problems are really getting into nightmares for me. I can't leave KSP and play another game, I don't want to, and after KSP, every other game is boring for me. Also, I heard that it's because of Unity V3.X not completely working with OSX, or is it because of OSX not supporting 32bit programs?

Ps: Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I don't know if it should go into support or somewhere else.

Edited by ZentroCatson

So, I'm very sad now. KSP just doesn't work for me because of this stupid OSX incompatibility. It freezes after every 10 minutes and is just impossible to play ;.;. I doubt that I can solve these problems, but this thread is not about my problems. So, my question: will Squad fix OSX problems with version 1.1? I hope they will, these problems are really getting into nightmares for me. I can't leave KSP and play another game, I don't want to, and after KSP, every other game is boring for me. Also, I heard that it's because of Unity V3.X not completely working with OSX, or is it because of OSX not supporting 32bit programs?

Ps: Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I don't know if it should go into support or somewhere else.

Hopefully Unity 5 (is that the latest version?) will fix some of the OS X problems and if not, I'm sure Squad won't be leaving us Mac users swinging in the breeze.

In the meantime - turning the texture quality down to half made a big difference for me. KSP doesn't look quite as pretty now but I'll sacrifice a bit of eye candy for a lot of stability any day. There's also a pretty good thread covering OS X issues on the Support forum.

Hope this helps and good luck. I know exactly what you mean about leaving KSP for other games!

What issue is this? I play on OS X and don't have problems other than having a scandalously low amount of RAM. Because of this I don't use the max textures, which might be related to why I don't have crashes. Also, while in orbit my computer often doesn't even load the texture resolution that I set, making it run faster. So, basically what KSK said, adjust the resolution settings and hope it gets fixed. If there's a bug that makes the game unusable for a lot of players I'm sure it's a high priority for Squad.

Hopefully Unity 5 (is that the latest version?) will fix some of the OS X problems and if not, I'm sure Squad won't be leaving us Mac users swinging in the breeze.

Unity 5.1 is the latest, but Squad says that there were issues with 5.1 that didn't apply to 5.0, so they are, initially at least, targetting 5.0.

Make sure to check for crashed KSP instances with your activity monitor... it nearly made my hardware shut down due to heat a few days ago, because 3 crashed instances were still generating a whole lot of cpu usage in the background... and yes, i agree... 1.0.x is a real pain on OSX. That does not make KSP a bad game though, so i really hope that 1.1 gets a whole lot of care before going public.

ZentroCatson, Squad will try, and we are all hoping Unity5 will be better for all platforms, not just OSX, I'm a little concerned that Linux may be adversely affected, but like you I have to wait and see.

Maybe you can help though, we do need more OSX testers, drop Ted a PM explaining how you'd search and report bugs, and a little about yourself, he will keep you in mind.

I turned the textures down, and no longer crash (even though I have large amounts of RAM to spare on this i7 mac). Running Yosemite now (was on Lion before, and that worked as well).

FWIW, I've seen a lot of upset-ness about OSX, but most of the non-playable stuff I've seen around here has been on Yosemite. Do you all agree? I've seen a number of posts saying Mavericks does better with KSP than Yosemite. As an anecdote, I'm running Mavericks on an older machine that's slowly dying, and with minimal part/visual mods and minimal settings, I do okay (slow, but steady). YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

What I also find strange is that it works fine with stock and freezes after 2 hours with a lot of mods on minimal texture settings even if I have only a 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5 MacBook Air. The RAM is pretty bad. I have a 2.38 GB KSP directory, but I heard that crashes/freezes occur with 2.5 to 3GB RAM. The error logs also sometimes spit or don't spit out junk. I recently had a problem with the TarsierSpaceTech.dll conflicting with Distantobject, but even after removing it the game freezed, this time with no suspicious lines of code.

Slowly I start to hate this Windows prefer of games and engines, since such good games like Take On Mars are for windows, and KSP/Unity/32bit don't like OSX that much…

• 1 month later...