Fuel Lines Invalid Part

I have been playing a game for a while. I researched fuel lines, added them to a few ships, etc. Then I come back more recently, and fuel lines are no longer available in the VAB or SPH, and my ships with them are listed as invalid. When I look in the R&D Lab, I can see that they've been researched and the parts purchased. I'm guessing that something borked when the game was saved at some point. Can this be fixed by editing the save game?

Edited by Ixonal

I suspect, that your tech tree got an update (SETIctt) and that they are now available later.

Unfortunately it is a "feature" of ksp 1.0.x tech tree modding, that you do not keep your researched parts but they still show up as researched in the tech tree...

that'd make sense, though don't know why they'd move it farther in. it's pretty far already

Not far enough, since players kept beelining towards them.

They just enable players to continue with bad stock design habits after a short grind.

Making the grind more tedious maybe increases the incentive to work on proper craft design instead of just adding more boosters/asparagus to a bad/oversized stock designs.

It is a transition from the horribly imbalanced stock ksp to a very roughly balanced gameplay, mainly because you grow used to what you encounter first.

In reality you do not see fuel lines as implemented in ksp at the moment so far, so they should be pretty late.

Huh, well I haven't been doing much asparagus staging (except for a munar lander design, none on my lifters, though), but I can kinda see your point. I wish there an alternative, maybe less configurable way to set up a crossfeed earlier on, but meh.

That aside, I saw the same thing happening with the poodle engine, so I'm going to mark this as solved, since that does seem to be the issue.

Huh, well I haven't been doing much asparagus staging (except for a munar lander design, none on my lifters, though), but I can kinda see your point. I wish there an alternative, maybe less configurable way to set up a crossfeed earlier on, but meh.

That aside, I saw the same thing happening with the poodle engine, so I'm going to mark this as solved, since that does seem to be the issue.

For landers, I strongly recommend Dr. Jet's ChopShop, it has 2 awesome drop tank designs (1+2+2 and 1+1 mushroom). They are not very early, but much earlier than fuel lines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.