Why should I update to 1.0.4?

Bev7787

Because you like your ships randomly overheating and exploding on the pad?

Because you like shiny new features and shiny new bugs?

My 2c: Upgrade to 1.04, but keep a copy of 1.0.2 around... just in case.

There's isn't really a downside to going 1.0.4. Now, leaving 0.90? That's something I wish I hadn't done quite yet, and I'll probably stay on 1.0.4 for some time after 1.1 releases.

+1. If you're a mod player, I'd stick with 0.90 if you've got everything you want on it. Mod updates are a bit tumultuous atm, because of the flurry of hotfixes.

1.0.2 was the one with the really thin atmosphere, wasn't it? Like we had people getting into LKO with 2800dv. Seems cheaty staying with that :P

The heat in 1.0.4 is quite a challenge. Makes you plan more and add heat shields and not abuse chutes.. I like it!

Keeping a copy of the old installs is always a good idea. It's not like harddrive space is expensive.

Been doing that since 0.19... saving also images of my final installations just like they were left, then porting what I could. My 0.90 save is impressive.

As to updating, you are missing out man. A more balanced thermodynamics system, more realistic drag and therefore ascent profiles on SSTOs... plus the memory leak fix. Which I never got because I always turn off temp. gauges, but hey.

Rune. 'Sides, most of the great mods are already stable on 1.04.

The only big complaint about 1.0.4 that I've heard is the parachutes are a little weaker to aerodynamic forces and heat (you can't deploy them till below 250 m/s on Kerbin). At first I thought the complaints were a little silly but having started up a new campaign I kinda see where they are coming from. There is a point at which you don't have any of the airbrakes or drouge chutes and you need to do suborbital missions to continue, you can't use too many parts because you can't upgrade your launch pad, due to a bug in the tier 2 launchpad and you don't have launch clamps yet which are the workaround. The lack of parts makes it hard to get suborbital and have fuel to slow down using engines.

This perfect storm makes it really hard to slow down enough to deploy the chutes even if you do a rather wide arch. Though not impossible, you have to be really skilled. Really I like the bigger challenge but I think maybe Squad should relax it to say... 300m/s. Not a big change, but enough to not be "advanced users only" while still preserving the gameplay that the more experienced users enjoy. Also, fix the blasted tier 2 launchpad Squad... I mean really, it's game breaking and it's still there.

Edited by Alshain

Did the transition from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 make any changes other than fixing the heatshield-prevents-existing-craft-from-loading-properly bug? (I fixed my one affected craft manually and I'm wondering if I should bother updating.)

Did the transition from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 make any changes other than fixing the heatshield-prevents-existing-craft-from-loading-properly bug?
Nope, 'twas a hotfix for that issue alone.

Hi,

Sounds good enough to me...seems like I can continue with my game saves I havent played for awhile...seems as I was on 1.0.2 so my gamesaves should be good...I have to look at the updated MODS tho...I say upgrade and go with the flo...

cmdr zeta

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.