Challenge : Single Lander across the system

A Single lander Across the system!

Basically here's one, i hope, interesting challenge.

You need to design a craft, that can do science (obviously), land on "almost" all moon across the system and ... tourist! (because otherwise it'd be too easy!)

So basically, the goal is to have something leaving Kerbal (that part can use a detachable launcher), then hop from moon to moon (and planet if you insist) until it visited every moon in the system.

Rules ;

- You can refuel, but you NEED to drop your own refinery, or drag it with you.

- Whatever that get you in Kerbin orbit can be detached, but your lander has to leave kerbin in one piece.

- You cannot leave anything on any planet (well, except unfortunate accident, of course). No litter on planets/moons!

- Need either enough scientific experiment for each mun, or a scientist to store/reset them.

- Landing can be done with detachable lander, or with whole craft. In any case, all tourist need to be able to land too.

- Stock. No "special" engine, or tank. Everything need to be stock.

- Clipping is OK.

- Need to be able to return to Kerbin

Reward ;

Beginner (10 pts) ;

Land on Mun, Minmus, Gilly and Ike

Advanced (50 pts) ;

Land all Beginner + Dres, Moho and Duna

Expert (100 pts) ;

Land on Every.Single.Planet and Moon. (except Jool, Duh!)

bonus Tourist ;

Bring 2 tourist (1 pts)

Bring 4 tourist (10 pts)

Bring 8 tourist (20 pts)

Bring 16 tourist (30 pts)

Bring 32 tourist (40 pts)

Bring 64 tourist (50 pts), and be refered as the bus driver.

bonus conception ;

less than 50t lander ; 20 pts

less than 100t lander ; 10 pts

less than 125t lander ; 5 pts

To be considered as complete, show a picture on the launch pad and of each planet/moon landed. (if you're missing one or a few, we'll refer to the gentlemen agreement that nobody cheats on those challenge and let it slide).

Good luck!

I'll try and post my poor attempt tonight.

Leaderboard

1-

2-

3-

4-

Edited by Enkiel

- Whatever that get you in Kerbin orbit can be detached, but your lander has to leave kerbin in one piece.

Uhm, i guess this wasn't clear enought...

You don't have to leave kerbal and bring everything around. The stage to get you in Kerbin orbit can be detached. What i meant by leaving in one piece is that you can't build a monster with 3-4 launch from kerbin. It has to be built on kerbin, not in space.

Uhm, i guess this wasn't clear enought...

You don't have to leave kerbal and bring everything around. The stage to get you in Kerbin orbit can be detached. What i meant by leaving in one piece is that you can't build a monster with 3-4 launch from kerbin. It has to be built on kerbin, not in space.

Then it wouldn't be called single stage anymore....

This challenge is basically impossible and he's just trying to help.

No its not.

OKay, i was trying to make fun of all the SSTO challenge/question with that intro, but i guess nobody got that.

I'll edit it so everyone can understand what i mean, and stop saying its impossible.....

Why would it be imposible? Even with an SSTO the first 2 levels would not be that hard, when you can refuel.

Doing it with a proper SSTO without refuling would be harder. Hmm.. that would be fun to try. ;-)

The expert level is probarbly possible but very hard. Building one single stage lander that can take of from Eve and Tylo??

I guess Tylo is not that hard when you can refuel on the surface.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I just completed an expedition with a small ship (32.6 T) that was designed to visit the Mun, Minmus, Gilly, Ike and Duna. I have refueling stations on Minmus, Gilly and Ike, and those have been very useful for this mission. My goal was to give a lot of XP to my two crew members (an engineer and a scientist) who have never been into space. Patrice and Kevin are not exactly "tourists" but my ship has a Mk2 probe core so they didn't have to work at all (they were on vacation ok?! :wink:).

My trip : Kerbin / Station in LKO / Mun / Minmus / Gilly / Minmus / Ike / Duna / Ike / Minmus / Station in LKO / Kerbin.

I sometimes refueled in orbit, but I landed on every planet at least once.

My ship wasn't designed to return on Kerbin (it was supposed to remain docked at my orbital station), but I tried to land for the sake of this challenge. The huge solar panels didn't survive the reentry but the rest of the ship is ok.

Here's the link to my album : http://imgur.com/a/iNPBv#0. Have a nice day!

• 1 month later...

I've got a ship traveling through the solar system, and it's going to everything except Eve, at least. Does that count as "almost-expert level" 99 points or something like that or do I just get the advanced prize? Also, it's in sandbox so no science.

The expert level is probarbly possible but very hard. Building one single stage lander that can take of from Eve and Tylo??

I guess Tylo is not that hard when you can refuel on the surface.

Unless I missed something, SSTO for Eve is mathematically impossible (You can meet the TWR requirement OR the Delta-V requirement but not both). Tylo is probably possible but it would be hell of a challenge.

Edited:

Goddamit, Nefrums actually made it : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/132211-Eve-SSTO-Limbo

Okay, my mistake...

Edited by wibou
Always check your sources...

ARGGGGGGGGGGG........... hehehe. I have the perfect ship. except it's already orbiting Jool and I didn't bring tourists.

SbyWNhw.png

But she can carry 4 passengers, is fully refuelable, and can definitely land on every moon except Vall and Tylo, which I was about to attempt. Vall should be easy, Tylo is the real test.

Question: If I bring up some tourists to my space station over Kerbin, send this back to pick them up, will it still qualify? I have no problem bringing a couple tourists along for the ride.

This challenge is basically impossible and he's just trying to help.

No it's not. I came up with such a vessel in 1.0.2, it should still work. However, the science rover sat on KerbalFoundry tracks because stock wheels suck, I used Scansat to better scout out ore deposists, and most importantly, I modded my nukes to deliver 360kN and weigh 20t. With a pair of skippers slapped on, it could go everywhere but Eve.

Now, using stock nukes would actually increase performance, but it would also inflate part count by some 50% and the beast was lagging enough already. So, not suitable for this challenge.

Besides, after the second or third destination it became boring as hell. Then 1.0.4 dropped and I left it at that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.