Rebuilding the Abandoned Airport

One day the team at the KSC decided that they needed to re build the abandoned runway because of scientific reasons. No beach parties would be held there at all. Only science. Anyway they soon discovered that to build something, you need stuff to build it with. This is were you come in! Your challenge is to find the fastest way to transport a 72 ton payload (2 Rockomax Jumbo-64 fuel tanks) to the island and return.

The Rules:

• Completely stock physics, drag models etc. (There will be a separate FAR leader board)
  • Completely stock parts (Informative mods and visual mods are fine)
  • Payload must be left at the island INTACT
  • Vessel must remain completely intact apart from the payload
  • Time runs from the moment you start your engines to the moment you come to a complete stop back at the Ksc runway

Good luck!

Stock Leader Board

1. t3hJimmer: 4 mins 10 seconds

2. The_bT: 5 mins 44 seconds

3. Foxster: 8 mins 34 seconds

4.-

5.-

FAR Leader Board

1.-

2.-

3.-

4.-

5.-

Edited by Toasterbot959

Entry: 5 min 44 seconds.

I originally planned to make it a nice cargo plane like thing, however, the big wings suck at combining them so I gave up on that idea...

You don't need that many parachutes to drop 72 tons ;)

Edited by the_bT

I did the same, made it in 5:44 I think, video incoming.

I'm pretty sure my entry will be easy to beat. I don't much care for flying planes so I only had the one try with a thrown together monstrosity.

This is a fun challenge! It took an awful lot of blowing up orange tanks at the Old Air Field before I was able to get this run. I chose to go with a side by side deployment to keep the length of my aircraft down. I found that I could drop the tanks at a higher speed if I put a probe core on them and quickly switched to them after drop and activated the parachutes.

Challenge Time: 5:17 (Stock - no mods)

Aircraft Specs:

name: C-111 Parallel Drop

parts: 145 (85 w/o cargo)

mass: 183.9 (102.7 w/o cargo)

powerplant: Turbojet X8

I'm sure with some practice I could get my time down to around the 4:30 mark. Off to try and get a perfect run!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.