Every ship exploding on Time Warp

When I try to Time Warp ANY ship it explodes! I've Googled for anyone else having this problem and while others randomly have a ship explode I've come across a total catastrophe. After playing for many hours/days into my current game tonight when I switched ships and engaged Time Warp it exploded. I loaded my save, tried again, same result. I loaded my save, switched to another ship, it also exploded.

Restarting the game fixes the problem but after doing some work one one and switching to the next it will explode. It is happening for every ship; even ones that have been stable and in operation for nearly a game year. It only started today and I have had the same mods installed for over a week; no new changes to my game I can roll back.

I've recorded a video to demonstrate what's happening. The Flight Results Log reports the failure as every component experiencing a "Structural Failure"

I've logged about 480 hours into my current Career game (according to Steam) and now my Interplanetary Empire is in great peril!

I found that this might be a thermal glitch. I posted a thread in this forum showing what I found when I disabled the thermal failure with the "cheat options" and got a screenshot. Here's the post.

I've experienced the thermal glitch as well. That problem will show up in the Flight log as "overheat" not "structural failure." And was it happening to *every* ship after a certain point or just one?

I've done troubleshooting over the last few days including:

-Removing all Mods (except Kerbal Engineer because I have the chips on every vehicle and I lose 90% of my fleet)

-Uninstalling, reinstalling the game.

-Rebooting my computer (I know that seems obvious) which will actually fix the problem for about an hour until it returns.

I have not yet done a clean wipe because that would be the end of the game for me with all the work I have put into my current. I'd still like to know how this is happening and surprised that I can find no one else with the same issue.

I am sad, my Kerbals are sad, and this heat thing was added very badly. It broke the game for me. I just spent 4+ hours trying to debug my save, I am left to ponder if I should continue playing this or try to find a different physics based construction game that is less messed up and bugged. Seems very sad the game was super fun a few weeks or months ago, then this whole heat BS and is anyone even playing or just endlessly restarting and trying to figure out why stuff blew up and if it was 'normal' or a bug? tuning ships is 95% of the game, can anyone tune a ship right now with unknown thermal issues? So bummed out, this was my relaxation, now its a nightmare of restarting and deleting the physics cache to get maybe 1 in 5 trys a 'normal' game where when I throttle back, engines cool off. 85% of the time its bugged and they stay hot for days, weeks, months, infinity, until I clear the physics file from the root folder and from game data (module manager physics cache) restart, over and over, for that one time it works and they cool off.

UGH! I have a huge station that fits 95 kerbals, I have 50+ in space, I feel so bad abandoning them I will likely never come back to this for the trauma of building a story about there adventures, then having some super bad update make me waist literally 20+hours now since 1.0.3 dealing with bugs trying to 'save them'. I don't trust Squad anymore at all with my 'fun time'.

I've had this issue as well. One way you can solve it is to bring up the cheat menu (alt+F12) and tick off the box for "ignore max temperature". I figured it was a mod that was causing it. I moved my save files to a safe location, then deleted the entire game directory and did a clean install. After that I reinstalled only some of my mods, and I haven't had the problem since then. Now I'm not saying these mods caused the issue, but I did NOT reinstall HGR, Infernal Robotics and Quantum Struts Continued. Since then I haven't had this issue once. It's also a possibility that it's caused because you modified one or more of Squad's stock parts, or modified some of the game's other cfg files. All I can tell you is that once I did a clean install and was very careful about what I did and what mods I installed, I haven't had the issue once. On the down side, in my case I started a new game.

One habit I've gotten myself into with Unity games is to make a "clean copy" of the current version of the game and stored it in a different folder. Whenever there's a fairly well-behaved, stable version that I like, I make a copy of it. That way if an update messes up the game and no patch is forthcoming, I can always go back to the previous version. FWIW, if you bought the game on Steam you can "revert to previous stable version" which will give you v0.90.

The ship exploding, versus just engines and radiators staying overheated, started the first time I opened the f12 screen, now my ships explode after about a minute, no warp or setting adjustments, ships that had over a year in space now just blow up for no reason. It seems to happen on ships with part clipping. Is it possible that no part clipping is allowed now with the new heat system and internal heat? Why in the world would they do that? I have been playing KSP since .24 and clipping parts to make things 'cooler' is part of this, or was. Game is ruined for me if I am forced to 'go stock' and all my ships look like stock generic ships. Are devs taking a 'not sandbox, play like we imagine spaceships look not how you do' approach now? I liked adding nose cones clipped into bodies to create aerodynamic fairings for blocky-ugle models that can take heat but look 'unrealistic' like much of the science parts, it seemed like it was working well even in 1.0.4 for a while, but now every clipped ship (most of my fleet) blows up. I guess I am not posting a bug as much as agreeing this sucks. Others have posted the same issues, for weeks, with no help. Some just say they are giving up and I guess I am as well. Squad you seriously blew it cutting off the entire mod community for the 'go stock' ....'s ranting about 'how things should be' this update broke years of community work by hundreds of people, was that your plan? show whos boss? please, fire the ego behind that crap.

Yes, I am pissed as hell. I got very into this game, loved it, now its freakin ruined due to some devs idea of how I should be playing.

EDit: sorry, of course no one should be fired and I am jsut very frustrated, silly statement please forgive that.

Edited by interface
rage

Well this should not be happening interface, there's something wrong, and usually with heat issues it's because the Physics.cfg is wrong.

There's several ways this can happen, a player could update 1.0.x to 1.0.4 and be still using the old file, they might have deleted the file which causes KSP to make a new one, but with the wrong values, they might be launching KSP in such a way that the game cannot find the file, again resulting in the wrong values being used.

You can find a link to the correct file for 1.0.4 [here], and I advise that KSP is not run from the desktop or from a shortcut, unless that shortcut can change to the KSP directory first.

Steam should work, if you are not using Steam, open the folder and run the KSP.exe directly, make sure that Physics.cfg is there first though.

Your debug screen physics tab should show the same values that are in the file, if they don't then KSP was not able to load it and we have to find out why.

thank you Sal-vager i will try these things. I have been running it from desktop shortcut and will try to run the exe from the KSP folder instead. I have deleted the physics file ever time i reload after a crash for weeks now. I thought I had a workaround, with some crashes after memory overruns using SPH and VAB and revert that seemed resonable and related ot the 32 bit addressing. But yesterday I read on forum about f12 menu, opened it, and somehow ruined my game trying to fix the engines never cooling off. I replaced that livable bug with ships exploding parts flying everywhere and cannot even play my save now. I hope something works, very sad for all the kerbals that will be trapped in space if I dont.

OK to add, that physics file is totally different than the file the game is generating most of the time, the one my KSP generates is lacking skin thermal entries everything is 0 (zero) in the field versus the one you linked me to is typically with a value in these fields that are null on my KSP install. I am guessing, I may need to reinstall 1.0.4 clean? This makes sense that the times I have verified local files through steam while online it has occasionally had the right physics and engines cool off. trying new physics cfg now hope it improves things but I suspect a deeper problem I may have created trying to fix things. Fingers crossed my newest science vessel doesn't blow up. I have about a minute usually before it does the only option is to bail out 12 kerbals and pick them all up, assuming they are not scattered in the explosion to different orbits. XP

I will try to post this image later, I can't load KSP without feeling like I am wasting half my life at this point. Need a break as I have spent over 10 hours trying to make the game work and not docked or launched or flown anything in that time just watched ships that worked for months explode. It makes me feel ill to load the game now, and its my only game :(

If the log's reporting structural failure that sounds like something joint-related rather than temperature-related, tbh. I too would love to see a screenshot of the Thermal window.

Also, since this is a modded install, I assume you have ModuleManager? Can you post the contents of KSP/GameData/ModuleManager.Physics ? That is the final cfg that KSP loads when ModuleManager is present.

If the log's reporting structural failure that sounds like something joint-related rather than temperature-related, tbh. I too would love to see a screenshot of the Thermal window.

Also, since this is a modded install, I assume you have ModuleManager? Can you post the contents of KSP/GameData/ModuleManager.Physics ? That is the final cfg that KSP loads when ModuleManager is present.

I do not believe it is heat related because I have had that happen before to the structural fuselage pieces and just stopped using them. I do not have Module Manager installed. I have a Steam install and the problem did not happen immediately after the .4 update.

And ...... interface, quit hijacking and make your own thread. Again, I don't think we have the same thermal problem.

• 1 month later...

I haven't found a solution to this problem, but I as well have encountered it. When attempting to time warp, whatever ship I am controlling instantly explodes, with structural failure from what looks like every joint. I only have Kerbal Alarm clock installed, and I can't remember if I encountered this glitch before I installed the mod or not. It seems to be fairly intermittent, and I usually just quit/restart and it stops happening, however recently it is more consistent. I have a ship that recently undocked from an orbital station and I have two planned maneuver nodes. I can time warp to the first node, perform the planned burn, then when I try to warp to the second the ship explodes. When I quickload the game, the ship explodes at the first attempt to time warp to the first node. I haven't tried to delete any physics files or anything of that nature. I just recently found out about the alt-f12 menu from reading these threads as well. I'd happily supply any further information, just may need to be specific on what info/screenshots you'd like, and sometimes how to show that information as well.

The end solution for me was to restart my campaign. It gave me a chance to start over with more challenging difficulty. After that the problem never happened.

I am going to bet that it had something to do with a corruption in the persistence file. The only thing that I think that could have caused it out of the ordinary was I went in and edited a single ship at one point though it was well before the problem started.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.