Out of Control Candle

Starwhip

A while ago, we were doing some fixing in our bathroom, and we had candles for lights while the electric lamps were disconnected. They were in glass bottles, and had some sort of scented wax.

Well, the last time we lit those candles was when I was going to take a shower, lit the candle like normal, and noticed the flame getting a bit larger than normal. So, to put it out (Probably should have put a lid on it in hindsight) I put it in the sink and turned on the faucet.

Here's where it gets weird.

The moment the water hit the candle, it erupted into a gigantic pillar of flame that went all the way to the ceiling of the bathroom... probably about six feet of fire. The pillar lasted for several seconds, and by the time I'd called my parents in there to help it had been extinguished.

What could have caused this?

Never douse fluid combustibles with water.

This is what happens:

Water mixes with molten wax

Water flash-boils

Molten wax gets dissipated through the air

All the wax reacts with oxygen

Violent deflagration

This is what happens:

Water flash-boils

Violent deflagration

This was EXACTLY my first thought. I am pretty sure this is what happened.

Maybe wax vapor or methane if the drainage pipes were disconnected? Was there any dust, cleaning solutions ect nearby?

EDIT: Or maybe someone is fracking nearby and ruining your groundwater :D

Most recent EPA studies on fracking have declared it 'safe', although there is still a large group/political agenda which insists it isn't.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2014/09/the_science_is_settled_fracking_is_safe.html

http://blog.ucsusa.org/is-fracking-safe-now-what-the-epas-fracking-and-drinking-water-study-really-says-755

This is what happens:

Water flash-boils

Violent deflagration

Possibly, though I doubt that the wax was a "fluid combustible". And we live in Miami, FL, so fracking isn't the issue... probably. :wink:

There was a thermal shock for sure, as the glass container had shattered when we examined it later.

Possibly, though I doubt that the wax was a "fluid combustible". And we live in Miami, FL, so fracking isn't the issue... probably. :wink:

There was a thermal shock for sure, as the glass container had shattered when we examined it later.

The wax defiantly is a fluid combustible, its the fuel for the candle flame!

The wax defiantly is a fluid combustible, its the fuel for the candle flame!

Really?

Hmm. If we still had those candles I'd check what the wax was made of. I'd always assumed that it was just the wick that burned, but now that you say that it makes a ton of sense. (Why the candle doesn't put itself out, for instance. Jeez, why I never knew this is a great question, and dangerous.)

The sole reason for the wick is to hold the liquefied wax or oil. If the wick was the part that maintained the flame candles would be just a wick. What would be the use of the oil or wax?

The sole reason for the wick is to hold the liquefied wax or oil. If the wick was the part that maintained the flame candles would be just a wick. What would be the use of the oil or wax?

Yes, I understand that entirely now (I assumed exactly that before you said it). The fact that I had no idea that candles work that way raises the bigger question. I suppose the original question is answered now.

A while ago, we were doing some fixing in our bathroom, and we had candles for lights while the electric lamps were disconnected. They were in glass bottles, and had some sort of scented wax.

Well, the last time we lit those candles was when I was going to take a shower, lit the candle like normal, and noticed the flame getting a bit larger than normal. So, to put it out (Probably should have put a lid on it in hindsight) I put it in the sink and turned on the faucet.

Here's where it gets weird.

The moment the water hit the candle, it erupted into a gigantic pillar of flame that went all the way to the ceiling of the bathroom... probably about six feet of fire. The pillar lasted for several seconds, and by the time I'd called my parents in there to help it had been extinguished.

What could have caused this?

Got an wood in there? if you do, the saw dust still in the air can ignite and combust very easily!

Got an wood in there? if you do, the saw dust still in the air can ignite and combust very easily!

Nope. Our bathroom is made of tile, the cabinet above the sink (was, we got rid of it) made of metal. And obviously it was a good thing. :D

That can't happen with usual paraffin wax candles. You need to heat their container close to the smoke point. What you had there was one of those weird low smoke point "waxes" that shouldn't be available because they are a fire hazard. My bet something made in China.

What wonders me is why the hell would you want to extinguish a candle like that. Candles can be extinguished by pinching the wick with fingers wet from saliva.

That can't happen with usual paraffin wax candles. You need to heat their container close to the smoke point. What you had there was one of those weird low smoke point "waxes" that shouldn't be available because they are a fire hazard. My bet something made in China.

What wonders me is why the hell would you want to extinguish a candle like that. Candles can be extinguished by pinching the wick with fingers wet from saliva.

They were cheap cruddy candles. I've been thinking of buying one and setting it up in the backyard to try and replicate the explosion.

And as I said, the flame was larger than normal, probably three to four inches tall, with the wick leaning over making it wider... I wasn't inclined to go touching it.

They were cheap cruddy candles. I've been thinking of buying one and setting it up in the backyard to try and replicate the explosion.

And as I said, the flame was larger than normal, probably three to four inches tall, with the wick leaning over making it wider... I wasn't inclined to go touching it.

If you are indeed dumb enough to try and recreate this please take proper precautions.

Use a cup of water mounted on a long pole. You do NOT want to be close to it.

Stay up wind so the fireball is blown away from you.

Do NOT wear any clothing that can be ignited easily.

Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

Don't do it alone. Make sure there is a second person present. If something happens to one the other can assist or call for help.

Use common sense. Better to be safe than sorry and don't try it at all. You do not want to see your YouTube clip on TV in 'The Science of Stupid'.

If you are indeed dumb enough to try and recreate this please take proper precautions.

Don't do it alone. Make sure there is a second person present. If something happens to one the other can assist or call for help.

Use common sense. Better to be safe than sorry and don't try it at all. You do not want to see your YouTube clip on TV in 'The Science of Stupid'.

I was going to put it in the middle of the large concrete area, and use an old telescope tripod to hold the cup of water with a pull-string release, and stand about ten feet away. Fire extinguisher, of course, as well as the garden hose to put it out if it doesn't pose much of an imminent danger.

And, have a video camera available to document results

garden hose

What have we just learned about certain types of fire and water?

You want a foam extinquisher or fire blanket to deal with fluid fires.

Oh, btw, the glass cracking could also simply be due to being rapidly cooled. First it's hot, and the water cools part of it down so rapidly that thermal stresses cause it to break.

What have we just learned about certain types of fire and water?

You want a foam extinquisher or fire blanket to deal with fluid fires.

Oh, btw, the glass cracking could also simply be due to being rapidly cooled. First it's hot, and the water cools part of it down so rapidly that thermal stresses cause it to break.

Fire extinguisher, I said, and garden hose for (assuming we don't need the fire extinguisher) after it dies down (is mostly extinguished).

Fire extinguisher, I said, and garden hose for (assuming we don't need the fire extinguisher) after it dies down (is mostly extinguished).

These fuels can't burn in a liquid state, they have to be vapourised, so if the wax is spilt it shouldn't ignite or even stay lit. The only thing that the hose could be used for is if the tripod catch's fire.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.