5 asteroid chain in Kerbin Orbit

Malaclypse

Long time player here, first time poster.

I originally posted this on a Facebook group but it was suggested I post here as well. I set myself the goal of chaining together one of each type of asteroid in Kerbin orbit. In all this took between 30 and 40 individual launches. If you guys want to see pictures of the asteroid tugs and docking ships I used, just let me know. I'll have to do some work to get screenies of those. I was in a rush to complete yesterday and didn't document everything.

So here's the original post for your enjoyment.

Well here she is!

Zellena Kerman was very happy to receive the largest rock necklace ever made by Kerbalkind. Weighing in at an exorbatent 2,800 tons and just shy of 400 parts, this svelte moon-ish necklace will make that special Kerbal squeal for joy!

Getting the class D and E asteroids docked together was very difficult. From there it was all downhill, though.

I think this is the largest thing I've made in KSP. Rather, I think it's the largest single thing I've assembled in orbit. Yeah. Lets roll with that.

F23938C873255B995BB8F18F167F201D4FDE828329283770E350FB279D6D13135880D0FD82A4EB7498651A411C88CD2C0A3395B0D05C1ED8CF43BD51

• 2 weeks later...

i would be interested in seeing the ships you used.

my few attempts at asteroid wrangling have not ended well.

i'm planning a Dres colony, which will largely be centered around harvesting 'roids. so i could definitely use some inspiration/design tips.

Sorry I've been absent. Life has been pretty hectic lately. I'll get back to ya'll with detailed pics of the ships used for wrangling and docking the asteroids together. Going to have to go through and document my ass off. =p

Check back soon!

• 7 months later...

Just came across this.  I'm impressed, especially at the dedication to getting them lined up in a straight line! I know your pain on getting the D and E class asteroids into place. My own version was much more messy, it was lagging badly so I just chucked the asteroids together the first place they'd fit - didn't try to form them into a line. Nice job!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.