About Dres and it's Dres-teroids

WhoLikesCakes

14 hours ago, Pretty Fly Guy said:

I've never heard of these until now. Perhaps it would be a great place to build a refuel station for missions venturing out into the outer solar system?

Eh, not so much. Dres doesn't have that large of a gravity well, so it's really fiddly to intercept. And those asteroids orbit at really low speeds, so it takes a really long time to rendezvous with one, especially from somewhere else in Dres' SOI.

On 7/18/2015 at 9:35 PM, WhoLikesCakes said:

nobody seems to go to Dres anymore.

[citation needed]

I go to Dres every time I start a new stock save. As for the rings/asteroids, I don't particularly care one way or the other.

18 hours ago, Pretty Fly Guy said:

I've never heard of these until now. Perhaps it would be a great place to build a refuel station for missions venturing out into the outer solar system?

The inclination of its orbit makes it sort of difficult.

19 hours ago, Pretty Fly Guy said:

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

The inclination of its orbit makes it sort of difficult.

That, and getting to Dres takes twice as much fuel than getting to Jool, mostly because you can gravity assist into Jool orbit from its moons.

According to Alexmoon's calculator, and rounding a lot:

Getting to Jool from Kerbin: 2000m/s (no insertion burn because gravity assists)
Getting to Dres orbit from Kerbin: 4000m/s
Getting to Jool from Dres: 800m/s (again, no insertion burn)

Technically, if you don't gravity assist at Jool for some reason, you can do the whole trip with a ship that can only get about 4000 m/s (which is what it takes to get to Dres from Kerbin, and about what it takes to non-assist get to Jool from Dres) instead of 5000 m/s (what it takes to get to Jool from Kerbin), but that sounds like a lot of work to save 1000 m/s. And this is coming from someone who thinks Minmus refueling stations are a good idea :D

Edited by 5thHorseman

On 8/16/2017 at 0:55 AM, invision said:

i visited dres and landed on an asteroid

4D9350E69BDF9C2CBC7A0EB2733ADB32E657F8EF

Reminds me of "Tiny Planet" from Rick & Morty:D

On 7/24/2015 at 3:19 AM, ansaman said:

I sent a Infrared Telescope out to scan Dres and it's neighborhood and in a very short time I located no less that 22 different Dres-orbiting objects, all in the same plane in roughly circular orbits ranging from 18,000 to 20,000 km.

mRZch2U.jpg

I've been to Dres a bunch of times, but I've never actually seen the Dresteroids. I keep unknown object tracking off unless I'm actually planning to capture an asteroid. I always forget to look for them when I'm there. I'll try to remember next time. Nice pic, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.