[1.0.4] - RealPlume - Stock Configs v0.8.1 - 2015/281

Felger

Ohh, so will this fix my issue of the effects not working on the engines?

Yep! And i didn't get the release out last night, I'll get that up tonight when I get home.

Hey, I really enjoy this mod. One question though. Is it possible to remove, and or make the smoke or contrail effect dissipate as the vehicle gains altitude, and vanish as it leaves the atmosphere? I used this mod the other day and launched a kerbal x. There was still a trail of smoke behind the mainsail engine at 100k altitude.

Also, has anyone started a config for procedural parts solid rocket boosters?

That smoke thing shouldn't be happening... When you go in game, and open the smokescreen interface, what effects does it show?

I'm working on the Procedural SRBs next!

Felger,

Thanks for the response. I won't be able to check on the issue I asked about until tomorrow. Glad to hear pp's srb is in the works. I really like the sound effects too. Much more visceral. I should note that I have hot rockets and a ton of other mods installed as well.

Edited by SSGFouts31

Which parts of RealismOverhaul are necessary for this to work? I deleted everything but StockPlume_Configs and now the game doesn't seem to recognize the engines on my ships.

None of it, you don't need RealismOverhaul for the mod to work, only RealPlume which is available here

None of it, you don't need RealismOverhaul for the mod to work, only RealPlume which is available here

But ... the wiki says I need to download a config, and the only one available is the one from RO. :huh:

But ... the wiki says I need to download a config, and the only one available is the one from RO. :huh:

Good catch! Updated the wiki to include this mod as a config option. Should be good to go! Also, you should install with CKAN, it's way easier.

- - - Updated - - -

For anyone waiting, the hydrogen ntr fix is up and available through ckan, grab it to fix the nuclear engine effects

:huh:

Mer ckan, I hack my mods to death so much that I don't even want to think about using it, much less letting it mess with my install, so the only way to get this ntr fix is through ckan?

Edit: found it on git, still grumble grumble ckan

:huh:

Mer ckan, I hack my mods to death so much that I don't even want to think about using it, much less letting it mess with my install, so the only way to get this ntr fix is through ckan?

Edit: found it on git, still grumble grumble ckan

In what way? Most things can be done non-intrusively with module manager. Also, sorry for the lack of clarification, I always release on github, which is how CKAN picks it up. The download link on the OP should always be valid for new releases.

Just submitted a pull request for Modular Rocket Systems :D I'm going to update my SpaceY configs to add the sepmotor plume now that its fixed then I'll be working on the Atomic Age engines!

Awesome work!!! But the vapor trail goes up into the atmosphere.

Huh, you're not to he first person to report this. Can you post an engine name and a screenshot so I can troubleshoot?

Aaand, Atomic Age/SpaceY configs done.

Awesome sauce! I really should start asking for screenshots so I can put a better album in the OP. Hop to it! Gimme those screenshots!

Awesome sauce! I really should start asking for screenshots so I can put a better album in the OP. Hop to it! Gimme those screenshots!

Bwahaha, ok. I'll get them to you by the end of the day :P

Aren't they too long in atmosphere? They should become turbulent and turn into shoke much earlier, aren't they?

I'm not too worried about how long they are in an atmosphere, but they seem to get shorter an more difuse with less atmosphere. My understanding is that the opposite would happen. Or should I be applying different configs for that?

I've been using

@PART[Nexus50EnginePlug]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[smokeScreen]

{

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]

{

@name = ModuleEnginesFX

%powerEffectName = Hydrolox-Upper

}

PLUME

{

name = Hydrolox-Upper

transformName = ThrustTransform

localRotation = 0,0,0

flarePosition = 0,0,1.2

plumePosition = 0,0,1.7

fixedScale = 2.3

energy = 1.7

speed = 1.0

}

}

(there's 60 "ThrustTransforms", so it creates a cone)

b51NClL.png

But as altitude increases, it turns into a fuzzy ball.

nhZo4th.png

I'm not too worried about how long they are in an atmosphere, but they seem to get shorter an more difuse with less atmosphere. My understanding is that the opposite would happen. Or should I be applying different configs for that?

It is working as intended. Due to atmospheric pressure, the rocket plume is very constrained at high ambient pressure (IE: sea level) and expands considerably at higher altitude due to low atmospheric pressure... when a rocket is firing in vaccum the plume is HUGE and very diffuse. Check out this video to see a great demonstration, from the 1:37 mark onwards you'll see a huge change in the size of the plume as the rocket ascends.

Also, this:

D2z6U.jpg

Edited by Justicier

It is working as intended. Due to atmospheric pressure, the rocket plume is very constrained at high ambient pressure (IE: sea level) and expands considerably at higher altitude due to low atmospheric pressure... when a rocket is firing in vaccum the plume is HUGE and very diffuse. Check out this video to see a great demonstration, from the 1:37 mark onwards you'll see a huge change in the size of the plume as the rocket ascends.

Also, this:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/D2z6U.jpg

Thanks. My expectations were plain wrong.

SpaceY Moa and ratite engines are the ones.

Huh, that's bizarre, looks like I forgot to drop the emission rate on the smoke down to zero in vacuum. Oops! I'll put out a release tonight to fix that.

I've been using

@PART[Nexus50EnginePlug]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[smokeScreen]

{

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]

{

@name = ModuleEnginesFX

%powerEffectName = Hydrolox-Upper

}

PLUME

{

name = Hydrolox-Upper

transformName = ThrustTransform

localRotation = 0,0,0

flarePosition = 0,0,1.2

plumePosition = 0,0,1.7

fixedScale = 2.3

energy = 1.7

speed = 1.0

}

}

(there's 60 "ThrustTransforms", so it creates a cone)

http://i.imgur.com/b51NClL.png

But as altitude increases, it turns into a fuzzy ball.

http://i.imgur.com/nhZo4th.png

Yep! As Justicier explained, that is expected. I'd be careful with that monstrosity, though, since the more particles (whatever the Hydrolox effect produces by itself times 60) the laggier the engine will be. On my to-do list is adding the ability to scale emission easily in the PLUME node, so you can cut down the particle emission rate to reduce lag on high-thrustTransform objects.

Also, this:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/D2z6U.jpg

That kind of effect is on my long-term goals, at the moment there isn't a nice way to make the smoke particles make the super-diffuse mid-upper-atmosphere smoke pattern. At the moment, I just try to replicate the appearance of the high-atmosphere/Vacuum appearance (with a bit more plume length than in real life so it doesn't just look like a tiny blob on the nozzle).

Awesome! I'll get on adding those to the OP.

Thanks. My expectations were plain wrong.

You're one of the lucky 10,000! Congratulations!

- - - Updated - - -

For folks adding effects to engines, I added an illustration to the guide showing how to align the flare and plume effects to the engine nozzles, since I realized a few engines were done inconsistently (some had extraordinarily large plumes, some have flares that don't sit in the nozzle, etc). Here's the illustration:

yhI0p41.jpg

Thanks for all the help making the configs!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and for those unaware, you can place and size the plume and flare separately by using these values in your PLUME node:

PLUME
{
plumePosition = 0,0,1
plumeScale = 10
flarePosition = 0,0,-0.5
flareScale = 5
}

It shouldn't be needed too often, but it's there if you need it!

- - - Updated - - -

One more quick post: the Kerolox-Lower fix is uploaded to github, CKAN should have it shortly.

Just pushed NHawk17's new engine configs, a few tweaks to plume placements, and the Procedural SRB configs. New update is on Github & CKAN should have it shortly.

Got a small bug report for you Felger. The "Puff" monopropellant engine is the only engine that has no plume effect. It has no particle emission :(

On a related note: Can this be used to "plume" RCS?

I suppose I should go see if the RCS block is included in the Squad configs. :-)

No example configs for RCS. I might have a look anyway.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming
Update

Got a small bug report for you Felger. The "Puff" monopropellant engine is the only engine that has no plume effect. It has no particle emission :(

Noooo, that one gave me troubles before, thought I had it smushed. I'll get on it!

On a related note: Can this be used to "plume" RCS?

I suppose I should go see if the RCS block is included in the Squad configs. :-)

No example configs for RCS. I might have a look anyway.

This is on my wish list, at the moment you cannot. In the future ModuleRCSFX will allow you to. Eventually^TM.

Short answer: Go bug NathanKell (Not really, he's super busy already).