[1.0.4] - RealPlume - Stock Configs v0.8.1 - 2015/281

Felger

I have yet to try this (Updating to Windows 10 problems), but it looks fantastic! Even more happily, many mods I use are supported. This with Engine Lighting sounds like it will be amazing!

And I know you already have a bunch of mod capatability and probably don't want more suggestions, but I have to throw out two others. OMSK and the enigmatically updated KSOS.

Anyway, I can't wait to give it a try!

I have yet to try this (Updating to Windows 10 problems), but it looks fantastic! Even more happily, many mods I use are supported. This with Engine Lighting sounds like it will be amazing!

And I know you already have a bunch of mod capatability and probably don't want more suggestions, but I have to throw out two others. OMSK and the enigmatically updated KSOS.

Anyway, I can't wait to give it a try!

I'd like to see homegrown rockets too! I tried adding plume to stock engines, did pretty decently until I saw the work done here and just used that.

HGR rocket plume would be awesome! Pretty please!

Nice mod.

But I have to say a few words about sounds here because I cannot find a thread related to RealPlumes mod itself. The samples are good, the ones for SRBs make you feel all the power under the "hood". But when played in a loop some of them feel a little monotonous like steam machines: "choo-choo, choo-choo". I think stock engine sounds are played in a loop too but haven't such a noticable effect because they lack any significant peaks or distinct sounds that make ears catch the rhythm. May be the better way would be to play the samples in portions arranged in a random order rather than simply loop over the whole sample?

Edited by Ser

First af all, this mod is one of the greatest ones, besides Scatterer.

zqKnYAK.png

But can we actually have hot air effects in KSP? Most games use transparent particles with normal maps for them.

First af all, this mod is one of the greatest ones, besides Scatterer.

http://i.imgur.com/zqKnYAK.png

But can we actually have hot air effects in KSP? Most games use transparent particles with normal maps for them.

Do you mean light refraction in exhaust? As in when hot air meets cool and creates awesome wavy lines? BahumutoD was working on refraction a bit ago. I don't know his progress though.

Yeah, that wavy distortion is what I mean.

Just one question - does KSP support normal maps for particles, and do they refract light? Most of game engines support them, starting from around 2006.

EDIT: Oh wait, it's been almost 10 years since that :o

Great Mod but it consumes to much of the magic physics power :( cant use it with the ton of other mods :( But it looks great

In the SmokeScreen menu you can specify the maximum number of smoke particles. It defaults to 8000, but a max of 2000 seems to be the magic number for a lot of people. Adjust to your liking. :)

Is there a way to counteract Smoke Screen's gobbling of the framerate? I get massive performance degradation if my view is from up close. It's nothing new. Smoke Screen was doing this a long time ago.

For example this is about the closest I can get without getting <10 fps.

ED67DDD90E07AFB498A41A258A0C25D7BEF0E1E9

It looks so nice, but if there isn't anything I can do, I won't be able to use the mod. :/

Is there a way to counteract Smoke Screen's gobbling of the framerate? I get massive performance degradation if my view is from up close. It's nothing new. Smoke Screen was doing this a long time ago.

There is, in fact it is sitting 4 posts above you :P

There is, in fact it is sitting 4 posts above you :P

This, I've said it three times now in this thread xD Thankfully others are seeing it. @Felger do you think you could add something in the OP telling people they can reduce the particle amount to help with frame rate?

Oh, there! LOL

Thanks. :)

edit: maybe it should be noted in the first post that the only way to set the particles would be installing the toolbar mod, because other than that, you can't access smokescreen's properties. I've spent an hour trying to figure this out.

edit2:

If this

MDb7gbM.png

could do this

EDA88A47CF3F01B24492BD22709301B7F4FD8ACB

it would be so cool.

Edited by lajoswinkler

Out of curiosity, what design choices led to how the plumes act at higher altitudes? They sorta shift into becoming fuzzy bursts rather than jets of fire like at the surface. Is... Is that what rocket plumes look like in space?

Edited to move bug report to proper spot.

Out of curiosity, what design choices led to how the plumes act at higher altitudes? They sorta shift into becoming fuzzy bursts rather than jets of fire like at the surface. Is... Is that what rocket plumes look like in space?

Edited to move bug report to proper spot.

Yes, actually, it is what rocket plumes look like in reality. Because there's less and less pressure, the exhaust expands faster and faster. If you find a launch on YouTube and check it out (say SpaceX or a Soyuz, or even a Saturn V) you'll notice it as the flight progresses.

Yes, actually, it is what rocket plumes look like in reality. Because there's less and less pressure, the exhaust expands faster and faster. If you find a launch on YouTube and check it out (say SpaceX or a Soyuz, or even a Saturn V) you'll notice it as the flight progresses.

Huh. Well. The more you know...

Is there a config file where I could specify the particleMaximumAmount for not have to alter it on every launch?

If you go to the SmokeScreen folder in your GameData there is a SmokeScreen.cfg file where you can specify the max particle amount.

- - - Updated - - -

*snip*

What mod is the tiny nuclear engine from?

Have a possible bug report. When running realplume my Turbojet engine model is reduced in scale, and its connection node is out of position. I am not running Ven's stock revamp due to the amount of memory crashes I got with it, so my game is mostly stock with regards to parts. I suspect that might be the issue as Ven's revamp changes the model and realplume may be calibrated for it and not the stock model. Anyone else experience this?