[1.0.4] - RealPlume - Stock Configs v0.8.1 - 2015/281

Felger

Can RealPlume handle multiple ModuleEnginesFX? I'm trying to configure an engine with a couple of built in verniers and I can't get the plume for the verniers to show up (it works using the default MEFx)

Yes and no, it can't do multiples of the same plume, because the particle effects nodes can only be attached to one engine transform at a time. However, you can use multiple different plumes for that. I typically use something like a Kerolox-Lower and Kerolox-Upper (they're sufficiently similar) or a Kerolox-Vernier if the verniers are small. Make sure you give different powerEffectName to each ModuleEngineFX, correctly associating the right FX with the right engine node.

Yes and no, it can't do multiples of the same plume, because the particle effects nodes can only be attached to one engine transform at a time. However, you can use multiple different plumes for that. I typically use something like a Kerolox-Lower and Kerolox-Upper (they're sufficiently similar) or a Kerolox-Vernier if the verniers are small. Make sure you give different powerEffectName to each ModuleEngineFX, correctly associating the right FX with the right engine node.

Ah that's why, I was trying to use the same plume type for both verniers and main, thanks!

I'll fix that and update the PR I sent earlier with the working settings and other refinements

Not quite right, Engine Lighting uses this kind of patch to add its module to the engines:

Hey! Long time since I last played KSP, so sorry for inactivity ;)

I have been working on implementing some kind of compatibility, but i can't find the color codes in the RealPlume's configs.

If color codes are defined by configs (or particle textures), it could be fairly easy to implement it simply by changing configs.

But if they are stored, or generated by code, code must be written to get the color from the 'Particle System' Unity component.

If anybody with SmokeScreen/RealPlumes experience is willing to help, please contact me. ;)

So, where are the colors stored in the configs, if they are?

Cheers :)

Hey! Long time since I last played KSP, so sorry for inactivity ;)

I have been working on implementing some kind of compatibility, but i can't find the color codes in the RealPlume's configs.

If color codes are defined by configs (or particle textures), it could be fairly easy to implement it simply by changing configs.

But if they are stored, or generated by code, code must be written to get the color from the 'Particle System' Unity component.

If anybody with SmokeScreen/RealPlumes experience is willing to help, please contact me. ;)

So, where are the colors stored in the configs, if they are?

Cheers :)

The colors aren't really defined in the plumes, per se, just which particle object the plume spawns when in use. Probably the easiest way would be to do colors based on the PLUME node, something like:

@PART[*]:HAS[PLUME[Kerolox*]:AFTER[RealPlume]
{
MODULE
{
name=EngineLighting
}
}

And then determining what color each plume should emit from this page:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume/wiki/PreFabbed-Plumes-and-Screenshots

Which brings to my attention that a few of those are out of date. One more thing on the growing to-do list when I get some modding time.

Oh ok!

Going to start working on every stock (and some modded ones maybe) engine, this is going to take a lot of testing, but well, i have time.

Thank you :D

Cheers!

Don't do it per-engine, that'd be insane. Do it by the kind of plume, then set a color for each kind of plume. If you need to set a brightness, just figure some multiplier on the thrust and ISP.

IS there any way to set this up so that I can get the flame effects for engines but skip the smoke? I love the way the engine exhausts look in this mod (especially in space) but the launch smoke is just too much for my system/install to handle. I have tried lowering the particle count via the tool bar but by the time I get the smoke effects down to a manageable level the exhaust effects lose their awesomeness :/

IS there any way to set this up so that I can get the flame effects for engines but skip the smoke? I love the way the engine exhausts look in this mod (especially in space) but the launch smoke is just too much for my system/install to handle. I have tried lowering the particle count via the tool bar but by the time I get the smoke effects down to a manageable level the exhaust effects lose their awesomeness :/

Seconded. This would be a huge help. My computer can't handle all the smoke particles...

Seconded. This would be a huge help. My computer can't handle all the smoke particles...
The issue I'm having is the smoke particles are absolutely killing my machine, I have Blizzy78's Toolbar mod. installed, but there are no buttons in it that in any way relate to adjusting the smoke..

Is there another way I can change it?

On Blizzy's Toolbar, pull up the SmokeScreen button and set the particle count down. In the next version of the mod I'll add an optional patch that removes all smoke.

On Blizzy's Toolbar, pull up the SmokeScreen button and set the particle count down. In the next version of the mod I'll add an optional patch that removes all smoke.

Just to expand on that, you may have to actually configure the toolbar so the SmokeScreen button shows up. Click the arrow drop down, configure, and you should be able to get the button added from there.

Also, awesome on the patch you're going to do. :D

Hello again Felger! I am creating my own custom configs which increase the plume speeds by 3x. I'm running into an issue with particles per second though, as it creates a sort of "line of dots" when emitting particles per second. I'm curious, what is the average particles per second for your stock plume effects? I'm guessing I would need to add the line "density = [3x realplume stock standard]". I just don't know what the realplume stock standard is.

Hello again Felger! I am creating my own custom configs which increase the plume speeds by 3x. I'm running into an issue with particles per second though, as it creates a sort of "line of dots" when emitting particles per second. I'm curious, what is the average particles per second for your stock plume effects? I'm guessing I would need to add the line "density = [3x realplume stock standard]". I just don't know what the realplume stock standard is.

Not quite. The way the particle emitter works, it'll just release all those particles on the same frame, and they'll stay bunched. There's not a super clean way to do it, I kludged in a way into smokescreen, vRandPosOffset, which offsets the particle in the velocity direction a random amount, to help eliminate the line of dots. Example:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume/blob/cc1982fc9534be61e64d892c163893e1fd660697/GameData/RealPlume/000_Generic_Plumes/Hypergolic-OMS-Grey.cfg#L71-L76

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you get something awesome going for the core plumes, feel free to submit it as a PR and I'll add it into the core mod. Always love to see people tinkering with improvements!

Not quite. The way the particle emitter works, it'll just release all those particles on the same frame, and they'll stay bunched. There's not a super clean way to do it, I kludged in a way into smokescreen, vRandPosOffset, which offsets the particle in the velocity direction a random amount, to help eliminate the line of dots. Example:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume/blob/cc1982fc9534be61e64d892c163893e1fd660697/GameData/RealPlume/000_Generic_Plumes/Hypergolic-OMS-Grey.cfg#L71-L76

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you get something awesome going for the core plumes, feel free to submit it as a PR and I'll add it into the core mod. Always love to see people tinkering with improvements!

Hm... which parameters would I have to change in that case? I'm hoping to keep my edits in the individual part files (The ones with the stock engine names stored in "RealPlume-Stock\Squad").

EDIT: Also, what would be a good value to change the vRandPosOffset inside the effects files if I do end up needing to change it there?

What should I change these six values to?

vRandPosOffset
{
density = 1 0.2
density = 0.3 0.4
density = 0 0.7
}

EDIT EDIT:

I've been running tests on the Skipper engine and I'm noticing that the plume effect it uses (Hypergolic-Lower) doesn't have vRandPosOffset. Does it have a different effect named which serves a similar funcion?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Is support for near future spacecraft/propulsion planned?

Also the Mammoth engine seems to have an odd plume, it gives off 4 very linear and long plumes with no smoke effects, also (i dont actually know) should the exhaust of this type of engine be blue?

Edited by nsgallup

If you can't get the button to show up, you might have other problems going on, but in the meantime:

Go to your smokescreen directory (.../GameData/SmokeScreen) and open SmokeScreen.cfg. Change the number in the maximumActiveParticles line to something smaller. I stick it at 400 instead of the apparently default 8000.

SmokeScreen
{
maximumActiveParticles = 400
atmDensityExp = 1
globalCollideDisable = False
globalPhysicalDisable = False
}

This is odd.

There is no smokescreen.cfg file in the smokescreen dir, which is why its not showing up in the toolbar..

There is no smokescreen.cfg in the install/zip file either.

can somebody host or post the file?

I am sure that this has been brought, but the volume level - with the exception of lowering the engine volume. It there a way to get a balance? What I mean, is that when I have the engine volume at a level for say, 'mainsail', then it is hard to hear the 'poodle'

Thanks and I am sorry of there was addressed already.