[1.0.4] - RealPlume - Stock Configs v0.8.1 - 2015/281

Felger

This is on my wish list, at the moment you cannot. In the future ModuleRCSFX will allow you to. Eventually^TM.

Short answer: Go bug NathanKell (Not really, he's super busy already).

Ha. It's been on my wish list for a while for a way to change effects for RCS, since adding larger bifuel RCS for the Orions. The Nexus "let's use bundles of 6 uprated J-2s as RCS blocks" plan has just increased my desire for flamey RCS. And all you ever get is a teeny white gas plume that looks like you're running a steam nozzle on a coffee machine.

Is there a way to reduce the amount of smoke produced while in atmosphere? With rockets that have multiple engines my FPS drop to around 20 - 26 after firing them for a while and I am certain it is because of the smoke.

UNITiS, if you have blizzy's toolbar installed you can add the SmokeScreen button. Click on that and set the max particle amount to around 2000 it'll help with the FPS. You can adjust that until your FPS is to your liking.

So I'm not sure if this has been asked but if I am trying to create a plume starting with one of the configurations laid out by RealPlume, which one would best represent CH4/LO2? Maybe Hydynelox-A7?

The only test firings I've seen of methane engines seem to show plumes being primarily blue with tinges of red.

So I'm not sure if this has been asked but if I am trying to create a plume starting with one of the configurations laid out by RealPlume, which one would best represent CH4/LO2? Maybe Hydynelox-A7?

The only test firings I've seen of methane engines seem to show plumes being primarily blue with tinges of red.

There really isn't a good particle for that yet. Hypergolic upper / lower might be a good fit, or potentially the alcolox effect. Check this page out for screenshots by effect:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume/wiki/PreFabbed-Plumes-and-Screenshots

One of these days I'll go create new particles that more closely resemble some of the fuels we use, like a better hydrolox effect, and a good methalox effect.

AIES plumes are almost done. I have tried to keep the flavor of the plume the way that Carmics configured them with HotRockets. Will be out soon.

Does anyone have a plume FX or config file for this little engine:

specifically the dark exhaust sheath coming out of the nozzle?

If not, does anyone have the know how to make one? I imagine it would be a challenge.

I will be working on Interstellar Engine Plume configs next. That one is going to be tricky, but we'll get a chance to try out all the exotic engine plumes.

Edited by Probus

I just noticed there's no support for NovaPunch and no one announced they're working in it. Really?! I'm surprised since that's such a popular pack. If no one is working on it I will def get around to doing the Bearcat 1.25m, RMA-3 1.25m and the 2.5m SRB stacks at some point

I have been waiting forever for RealPlume to be available outside of Realism Overhaul, and now my dream has been realized! I can't wait to try this out in-game.

Just out of curiosity, would I still require HotRockets to see red/orange engine exhaust, or does RealPlume cover that area?

I have been waiting forever for RealPlume to be available outside of Realism Overhaul, and now my dream has been realized! I can't wait to try this out in-game.

Just out of curiosity, would I still require HotRockets to see red/orange engine exhaust, or does RealPlume cover that area?

RealPlume does have a few plumes with red exhaust, I don't know how many people have attached them to engines, so if you want more of those you might need to make your own configs. Luckily, it's not too hard!

Here's a guide.

Isn't 'Squad's FX folder' within the game?

Yep! But I wanted to cover my bases in case someone had tried pruning their installation (using hotrockets or some such).

RealPlume does have a few plumes with red exhaust, I don't know how many people have attached them to engines, so if you want more of those you might need to make your own configs. Luckily, it's not too hard!

Here's a guide.

Thank you very much for the informative link, Felger. If there's one thing that HotRockets fails at, it's an inability to explain the layout of its complex config files. I'll have to delve into that guide when I get the chance. Once again, thanks!

Im having an issue where the solid rocket effects are causing pauses in the game every other second. Im on Ubuntu 64 bit. Player.log KSP.log.

I'll have to look at those when I'm back at my computer, but have you tried reducing the max number of particles in the smokescreen UI? Generally 2000 is a decent number, but tinker with it for best results.

The visual effects for ION engines are not visible in daylight as in on the launch pad is it possible to correct this

That's intentional, ion engines don't work in atmosphere, they won't produce any visible plasma at atmospheric pressures, and even worse, if you were to try to run one in atmosphere, you'd almost certainly demolish the delicate electrical components that allow it to function.

If you have a look, the ion engine has a sea level isp of 100, making it worse than a plain RCS jet, since that's more or less all it'll be doing at sea level.

That being said, you would need to adjust the plume config in the Generic Plumes directory in RealPlume to add particle emission at atmospheric pressure. I don't plan on doing this in the official release.

I'll have to look at those when I'm back at my computer, but have you tried reducing the max number of particles in the smokescreen UI? Generally 2000 is a decent number, but tinker with it for best results.

Thanks Felger i didnt think to check the UI. It was on 8000 :P Turning it down helped greatly.

Love the effects through this! Don't like this incompatibility bug however: #98. Hope its useful info! :)

I'll answer this here as well, just in case. RF needs ModuleEnginesRF to make the ignitions/ullage work. Real Plume - Stock uses ModuleEnginesFX. For RF/Stockalike, I'm thinking about how to handle this on my end, since I don't think there's any need to have Real Plume - Stock worry with it. There's some quick-fixes within the issue on GitHub.

Hey, i hope someone can help me. I have a problem with adjusting some realplume values (more with the original realplume than with the stock-rp-config, but its a problem adjusting some RP-values on a stock-realplume cfg, so this thread looked better suited IMHO).

So what is my problem?

I made some solid-fueled separation motors that burn around 1.7 seconds. Plumes get attached just right by realplumes and realplumes-stock scripts without further ado from me, as well as the audio changes that the realplume configs make. So far all is good.

BUT.. the sound the default reaplume installation assigns to all separation motors on ignition is much to long (the RealPlume\KW_Sounds\sound_sepmotor.wav that gets assigned to these engines by the RealPlume\000_Generic_PlumesSepmotor.cfg script.) Its about 5 seconds long, meaning it still plays long after burnout of my engines, producing some weird echo-like sound experience.

I tried adjusting the effect by a separate config, that modifies the entry after the realplume scripts have done their aadjustments, but i fail.

The realplume script adds the following config:

@EFFECTS
{
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealPlume/KW_Sounds/sound_sepmotor
volume = 2.5
pitch = 1.0
loop = false
}
}

so i tried this in the cfg of my part

@PART[testpart_solid]:FOR[RealPlume]:AFTER[RealPlume]
{
@EFFECTS:AFTER[RealPlume]
{
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_medium
loop = false
}
}
}
}

and various variations with :AFTER[zRealPlume] etc. But whatever I do I cant change the whole effects-node. Probably because the realplume scripts are compiled after my scripts, even though i used the :AFTER notation in my scripts.

So my question is: can anybody help me adjusting the ENGAGE sound to anything else than RealPlume\KW_Sounds\sound_sepmotor.wav by the use of a module manager script?

So the way I'm reading this, this mod creates two separate folders in SQUAD? In addition to requiring another SmokeScreen folder? So 3 total folders needed for installation? :confused:

This mod, for some reason, shrinks my turbojet. This happens in and outside the editor, with no other mods than the dependencies installed.

WJKenX3.jpg

It doesn't seem to happen with anything else. Has anyone else observed this behavior? And is there any way to fix it?

Edited by RyanRising

Hey, i hope someone can help me. I have a problem with adjusting some realplume values (more with the original realplume than with the stock-rp-config, but its a problem adjusting some RP-values on a stock-realplume cfg, so this thread looked better suited IMHO).

So what is my problem?

I made some solid-fueled separation motors that burn around 1.7 seconds. Plumes get attached just right by realplumes and realplumes-stock scripts without further ado from me, as well as the audio changes that the realplume configs make. So far all is good.

BUT.. the sound the default reaplume installation assigns to all separation motors on ignition is much to long (the RealPlume\KW_Sounds\sound_sepmotor.wav that gets assigned to these engines by the RealPlume\000_Generic_PlumesSepmotor.cfg script.) Its about 5 seconds long, meaning it still plays long after burnout of my engines, producing some weird echo-like sound experience.

I tried adjusting the effect by a separate config, that modifies the entry after the realplume scripts have done their aadjustments, but i fail.

The realplume script adds the following config:

@EFFECTS
{
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealPlume/KW_Sounds/sound_sepmotor
volume = 2.5
pitch = 1.0
loop = false
}
}

so i tried this in the cfg of my part

@PART[testpart_solid]:FOR[RealPlume]:AFTER[RealPlume]
{
@EFFECTS:AFTER[RealPlume]
{
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_medium
loop = false
}
}
}
}

and various variations with :AFTER[zRealPlume] etc. But whatever I do I cant change the whole effects-node. Probably because the realplume scripts are compiled after my scripts, even though i used the :AFTER notation in my scripts.

So my question is: can anybody help me adjusting the ENGAGE sound to anything else than RealPlume\KW_Sounds\sound_sepmotor.wav by the use of a module manager script?

Somewhere in the guide linked in the OP I have some instructions about AFTER and FOR for adjusting plumes and sounds after the fact. Basically, use FOR[zzRealPlume] to adjust after all the plumes are inflated from the PLUME nodes.

So the way I'm reading this, this mod creates two separate folders in SQUAD? In addition to requiring another SmokeScreen folder? So 3 total folders needed for installation? :confused:

Nope, no extra folders in Squad. I'd HIGHLY recommend you install via CKAN. It's leaps and bounds easier than a manual installation. Link:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100067-The-Comprehensive-Kerbal-Archive-Network-(CKAN)-Package-Manager