[1.0.4] - RealPlume - Stock Configs v0.8.1 - 2015/281

Felger

Aww but what's the fun in having a program install a mod for you when you know how to do it by hand? :cool:

- Question though, I could theoretically merge all 3 folders in GameData related to RealPlume (SmokeScreen, RealPlume, and RealPlume-Stock) into a single folder? It would just clean up my gamedata folder, that's all.

Thanks Felger! Now its working just fine! Was my fault, I did not scroll down long enough on that page.

@Avera9eJoe:

In theory, this would work, as KSP does search through all folders. But, especially with Effect nodes, texture definitions etc some of the scripts have paths defined relative to the gamedata folder, like nearly every mod does, even squad. You had to adjust all of these in all the scripts. And if a new version gets released, repeat the whole process. Its just not worth the effort. It will be a mess, if not at the beginning, then after the first few new released versions, or if you add other mods that want to make use of another one.

Besides this, the directory structure is quite logical, IMHO. You have smokescreen as the base mod, realplume making use of it, and realplume-stock adjusting realplume for stock. If you also have hotrockets, and/or coolrockets, they also use smokescreen. So all those mods residing in their own subdirectory of gamedata is rather logical.

And last: CKAN is one of the best things that happened to ksp. Its not only the "burden" of the installation process that it takes from you (dumping some files into gamedata isnt that hard), but keeping everything updated and managed even with many mods that have different (inter)dependencies. Just fire up ckan, scan for updates and presto..

I've got hotrockets already installed, and when I tried to install this mod via CKAN, I get a conflict with the HotRockets mod. I saw on the first post that it is compatible (overwrites the configs). Is there a way I can have both installed at the same time?

Can't wait to try this out and wanted to request if there's a chance the ksp interstellar mod will get support from this?

RealPlume does have a few plumes with red exhaust, I don't know how many people have attached them to engines, so if you want more of those you might need to make your own configs.

Just out of curiosity, which engines include red exhaust? I ask because so far I have yet to encounter an engine with red exhaust. I have tried the LV-T45, the AIES Vulcan, and KW Rocketry's Wildcat-V. All have the stock blue-white exhaust. I have all of the prerequisites installed into the GameData directory, all up-to-date.

Oh, by the way, I'm also not seeing any of the Real Plume FX.

Edited by fallout2077
Remembered Something

Is there a chance you'll change the exhaust color for the skipper engine? The color looks a bit... out of place... I'll be attempting my own edits too. ;)

Maybe make it match the rest of the black-bell engines a bit better? I always find it annoying when I see engines that burn the same fuel burn it at different colors. - Props on the blue glow on the inside of the bell though. It's absolutely beautiful.

1lclpdV.png

- EDIT - I'm guessing you where trying to model the exhaust effects off of the Space Shuttle's liquid engines? I'm guessing this from looking at the exhaust at low altitudes. In this video you can see that the flame starts at a bluish purple and quickly turns into a dull red as it leaves the bell.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Aww but what's the fun in having a program install a mod for you when you know how to do it by hand? :cool:

- Question though, I could theoretically merge all 3 folders in GameData related to RealPlume (SmokeScreen, RealPlume, and RealPlume-Stock) into a single folder? It would just clean up my gamedata folder, that's all.

Kinda, SmokeScreen won't be happy about it. You could pretty easily merge RealPlume and RealPlume-Stock. Make sure they both end up in RealPlume, the FX paths won't work out right otherwise.

Still though, I absolutely recommend installing via CKAN, and promise to be extra grumpy about helping you troubleshoot if you installed manually and screwed things up! :wink:

I've got hotrockets already installed, and when I tried to install this mod via CKAN, I get a conflict with the HotRockets mod. I saw on the first post that it is compatible (overwrites the configs). Is there a way I can have both installed at the same time?

Can't wait to try this out and wanted to request if there's a chance the ksp interstellar mod will get support from this?

Probus is working on KSP interstellar support, IIRC. It'll be a week or two before I get a chance to do the deconflict with hotrockets on CKAN, going on vacation. In the meantime, you can always do a manual install, or just uninstall hotrockets, it won't matter too much if your chosen part packs are all supported by RealPlume, everything'll get overwritten and you'll just have a redundant set of effects clogging up your memory.

Just out of curiosity, which engines include red exhaust? I ask because so far I have yet to encounter an engine with red exhaust. I have tried the LV-T45, the AIES Vulcan, and KW Rocketry's Wildcat-V. All have the stock blue-white exhaust. I have all of the prerequisites installed into the GameData directory, all up-to-date.

Oh, by the way, I'm also not seeing any of the Real Plume FX.

Probably should have lead with that last bit, it makes your first bit a touch redundant. I'm going to guess that you don't have all the prerequisites installed. Did you install via CKAN or manually? If manually, then uninstall and try CKAN. If CKAN doesn't get you a working install, something more serious is wrong.

Is there a chance you'll change the exhaust color for the skipper engine? The color looks a bit... out of place... I'll be attempting my own edits too. ;)

Maybe make it match the rest of the black-bell engines a bit better? I always find it annoying when I see engines that burn the same fuel burn it at different colors. - Props on the blue glow on the inside of the bell though. It's absolutely beautiful.

http://i.imgur.com/1lclpdV.png

- EDIT - I'm guessing you where trying to model the exhaust effects off of the Space Shuttle's liquid engines? I'm guessing this from looking at the exhaust at low altitudes. In this video you can see that the flame starts at a bluish purple and quickly turns into a dull red as it leaves the bell.

Hydrolox effects are an annoyance of mine, because none of the particles I've worked with really look right for a cooled hydrolox, or ablative hydrolox engine. The only engine that really matches the blue color is the CECE, which was my guide for the color choice.

. Engines like the RS-68 for the Delta series have a much more red color, due in large part to the ablative material in the combustion chamber, and engines like the RS-25 have a much more purply-blue color, with tinges of red at the edges of the plume where the plasma is cooler. In the end, the plume is mostly transparent, and really only presents a color at the edges. Ferram4 in his infinite free time is tinkering with making a better hydrolox particle to use, so in the meantime the blue color will just have to do.

Kinda, SmokeScreen won't be happy about it. You could pretty easily merge RealPlume and RealPlume-Stock. Make sure they both end up in RealPlume, the FX paths won't work out right otherwise.

Still though, I absolutely recommend installing via CKAN, and promise to be extra grumpy about helping you troubleshoot if you installed manually and screwed things up! :wink:

xD that's a fair deal!

I just got my own settings for the Skipper done. I copied the Kerbolox-Upper config, renamed it "Kerbolox-Upper2", and then replaced all instances of Kerbolox-Upper with Kerbolox-Upper2 inside the config. And then for some fine tuning I added offset to "plume" and shifted it up slightly. The only thing I wish I knew how to do is shrink the starting particles. I'm not sure which param I should edit to make the effects start smaller. Could you tell me/give me an example of what I should change to do this?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

- The main reason why I want the engines to all have matching effects is because there is only one form of propellant in KSP, and all the engines burn the same fuel. Thus I'd want them all to have the same engine effects. It isn't too hard to manually swap things though so I'm fine doing it mahself. I did it with HotRockets when it wasn't updated. RealPlumes is prettier though. ^-^

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Probably should have lead with that last bit, it makes your first bit a touch redundant. I'm going to guess that you don't have all the prerequisites installed. Did you install via CKAN or manually? If manually, then uninstall and try CKAN. If CKAN doesn't get you a working install, something more serious is wrong.

I see not how my first paragraph is redundant if not lead by the last statement; not seeing red is a far less serious deal than not seeing any FX at all, at least in my opinion. And the mod only requires SmokeScreen, ModuleManager, Real Plume, and one of the config packs to along with it, correct? It all seemed pretty easy to install to me (hence making CKAN rather needless and a bit overkill, at least in my mind).

I'm just not a big fan of CKAN, and I only use it on a limited basis (unless a mod author specifically instructs the user to do so on the OP). If you want people to install via CKAN, and you become "extra grumpy" if they do not, then I kindly recommend that you should tell them that in the OP. I apologize if any of this came across as a bit... short-tempered, if you will, I just wanted you to understand where I was coming from.

xD that's a fair deal!

I just got my own settings for the Skipper done. I copied the Kerbolox-Upper config, renamed it "Kerbolox-Upper2", and then replaced all instances of Kerbolox-Upper with Kerbolox-Upper2 inside the config. And then for some fine tuning I added offset to "plume" and shifted it up slightly. The only thing I wish I knew how to do is shrink the starting particles. I'm not sure which param I should edit to make the effects start smaller. Could you tell me/give me an example of what I should change to do this?

http://imgur.com/a/uRZfl

- The main reason why I want the engines to all have matching effects is because there is only one form of propellant in KSP, and all the engines burn the same fuel. Thus I'd want them all to have the same engine effects. It isn't too hard to manually swap things though so I'm fine doing it mahself. I did it with HotRockets when it wasn't updated. RealPlumes is prettier though. ^-^

Well, by design you shouldn't have to do anything in the 000_Generic_Plumes directory, unless you really want to. There should be a large enough array of plumes to choose from to fit all your needs. Have a look through the guide here on how to attach the prefabs, though presumably you've already figured all that stuff out. I've got screenshots of most of the pre-existing plumes so you don't have to tweak with those too much.

That being said, you'll be looking for the "size" curve, you can find here in the Kerolox plume: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume/blob/master/GameData/RealPlume/000_Generic_Plumes/Kerolox-Lower.cfg#L122-L128

Which will adjust the starting size of the particle by pressure.

The simpler (not necessarily better) way is to just adjust the fixedScale (or plumeScale|flareScale) parameters in the PLUME node, and let the RealPlume Module Manager patches do all the heavy lifting for you. The PLUME system in RealPlume is quite robust by design, I'd highly recommend you try it out.

I see not how my first paragraph is redundant if not lead by the last statement; not seeing red is a far less serious deal than not seeing any FX at all, at least in my opinion. And the mod only requires SmokeScreen, ModuleManager, Real Plume, and one of the config packs to along with it, correct? It all seemed pretty easy to install to me (hence making CKAN rather needless and a bit overkill, at least in my mind).

I'm just not a big fan of CKAN, and I only use it on a limited basis (unless a mod author specifically instructs the user to do so on the OP). If you want people to install via CKAN, and you become "extra grumpy" if they do not, then I kindly recommend that you should tell them that in the OP. I apologize if any of this came across as a bit... short-tempered, if you will, I just wanted you to understand where I was coming from.

Sorry, thought the winky face would make it clear, I'm a terribly sarcastic person. I just find it easier to troubleshoot when I know exactly what you have installed, which CKAN ensures. If no effects are showing up, then your comment about the lack of red is superfluous, because there are no engine effects to critique, red or not.

So, on that note, since I will not be able to access the internet for the next week, here's a list of things to try to narrow down the problem:

Make sure you have these items in GameData (at a minimum):

• RealPlume
  • RealPlume-Stock
  • SmokeScreen
  • Squad
  • ModuleManager-x.x.x.dll

• If you have all those, check through your ModuleManager.ConfigCache for one of your engines, make sure there is an EFFECTS node, and the ModuleEnginesFX node contains a reference to it via powerEffectName. Also make sure there is a PLUME node.
  • Make sure all the effects objects exist in your RealPlume folder. (See here for what should be there: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume/tree/master/GameData/RealPlume/)
  • Try uninstalling|reinstalling the mods.
  • Make sure your part packs are supported.

Sorry, thought the winky face would make it clear, I'm a terribly sarcastic person. I just find it easier to troubleshoot when I know exactly what you have installed, which CKAN ensures. If no effects are showing up, then your comment about the lack of red is superfluous, because there are no engine effects to critique, red or not.

So, on that note, since I will not be able to access the internet for the next week, here's a list of things to try to narrow down the problem:

Make sure you have these items in GameData (at a minimum):

• RealPlume
  • RealPlume-Stock
  • SmokeScreen
  • Squad
  • ModuleManager-x.x.x.dll

• If you have all those, check through your ModuleManager.ConfigCache for one of your engines, make sure there is an EFFECTS node, and the ModuleEnginesFX node contains a reference to it via powerEffectName. Also make sure there is a PLUME node.
  • Make sure all the effects objects exist in your RealPlume folder. (See here for what should be there: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume/tree/master/GameData/RealPlume/)
  • Try uninstalling|reinstalling the mods.
  • Make sure your part packs are supported.

I hate to say it, but I was a frickin' moron and I didn't actually have smokescreen installed (I forget as I am used to keeping that in my HotRockets folder in my KSP Mods folders. I forgot all about it when I installed Real Plume). But, I took the CKAN route, and everything on that front in installed. I'm sorry for being an idiot and cluttering up your thread with (most likely) pointless whining.

I hate to say it, but I was a frickin' moron and I didn't actually have smokescreen installed (I forget as I am used to keeping that in my HotRockets folder in my KSP Mods folders. I forgot all about it when I installed Real Plume). But, I took the CKAN route, and everything on that front in installed. I'm sorry for being an idiot and cluttering up your thread with (most likely) pointless whining.

Not a problem! For all my crunchy sarcastic shell, I'm actually quite friendly! Glad you got your install fixed.

And if you'd like, there's screenshots and instructions on the RealPlume wiki:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume/wiki

If there aren't enough red engine effects for your liking!

Not a problem! For all my crunchy sarcastic shell, I'm actually quite friendly! Glad you got your install fixed.

And if you'd like, there's screenshots and instructions on the RealPlume wiki:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealPlume/wiki

If there aren't enough red engine effects for your liking!

Hah, no problem, my friend. If I learned anything from the internet, I've learned that sarcasm is one of the many forms of human communication that doesn't travel well in text. Thus, I socialize with a more... monochromatic tone, if you will.

I really like your wiki and how you explain all the different aspects of creating a plume. I thought I would give it a shot and resurrect an old engine mod and fiddle with it. I think I have the plume right and picked the amonialox prefab however the engage engine sound is a little intense and I dont quite understand how to change the engage engine sound but here is a pic of it running. The original engine was done by Chris Adderley is was called futuresm-engine or LV-T95-8 needs to be bought up to current config standards which is beyond me.

uVCQRDc.png

for example, hypergolic engines have red fuming exausts. You can see it on the tantares ALV (Proton-like).

I was googling plume colors yesterday afternoon, and I saw that even the composition of the rocket nozzle plays a part in the color of the plume. Take for example a nozzle made from copper, which ejects an initial blast of green when ignited. Now, I don't see any mod going into that much detail in relation to plumage (which I perfectly understand), but it is a pretty cool that rocket exhaust, if even for a couple seconds, can be green.

I was googling plume colors yesterday afternoon, and I saw that even the composition of the rocket nozzle plays a part in the color of the plume. Take for example a nozzle made from copper, which ejects an initial blast of green when ignited. Now, I don't see any mod going into that much detail in relation to plumage (which I perfectly understand), but it is a pretty cool that rocket exhaust, if even for a couple seconds, can be green.

The green is probably something hypergolic that they used to ignite the rocket

I was getting major FPS drops with RealPlume installed; I'm fairly certain it's caused by the smoke. Does RealPlume have many more particles than stock?

If you have Blizzy's Toolbar installed, add the SmokeScreen button and change the Max Particle Amount to around 2000 or until your FPS is what you like.