Question about future updates

Samo

So I've been gone from this scene for a while (Haven't played since 0.19 actually...) and I'm thinking about getting back into it, but I need to know something first.

Now that KSP is out of early access/beta, does this mean that future updates will no longer corrupt old saves?

Edited by Samo

v1.1 will be a major update to the game engine. Much of that is behind-the-scenes stuff, but I expect some things to be different.

• Wheels re-coded from scratch. Landing gear shares the same code-base. Any unusual designs exploiting quirks may not work exactly the same.
  • Asteroids re-coded from scratch. Size class A will still be size class A, but because surfaces are procedurally generated, it's possible that a save with claws attached to an asteroid, may show those claw attachments floating a little over or under terrain. Here's an example of what happens when loading an old save, after they re-sized the standard reaction wheel. (That craft actually flies, and the reaction wheels work.)
  • The "Tier 0" structures, that everyone calls "The Barn" - and held back from two previous updates to re-work it, ought to be ready.
  • New skills for engineers (dV readout) and possibly something new for scientists.
  • Entirely new UI. I expect most of the controls to be in the same places, but they may look a bit different.
    Before the applauncher was anchored in the top-right corner of the screen and the apps were laid out to the left. Now the plan is to lay the apps out downwards so they will take up the right hand of the screen. [Devnote Tuesday link]

Note that this is all months away, they are still in the process of rewriting stuff for the new Unity 5 platform.

I've read about these features or changes in various Devnote Tuesday articles and the 1.0 launch Reddit AmA. Squad doesn't publish lists of goals far in advance, because some folks will give them a hard time if any goal doesn't make it. The hype train runs on leaked rumors and goals ;)

Edited by basic.syntax
re-worked "new UI" statement

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.