Stuck In a Rut 2.0 - Update Blues

Captain Sierra

A long while (over a year) ago I made a post called Stuck In a Rut . . . well because I was. I've officially come full circle now.

I'm stuck in a rut where I'm 'playing' KSP but not really. I've been doing a lot of work bug reporting and balance testing for Nertea's Mk4 system, currently in its 2.0 prerelease, but I haven't really been doing anything in-game. I don't have my beloved Near Future Propulsion due to it being unfit for duty in 1.0.4, and I don't want to revert back to 1.0.2 (too draggy even though I prefer the jet engine efficiency).

I'd like to play with Outer Planets Mod to give me some new targets, but don't for the above reason (no electric engines = PITA).

Basically I'm stuck waiting for several mods to get their 1.0.4 versions out (which is looking to be a while on the NFP/NFE/HC package), and, to top it off, my go-to Space Engineers server is a graveyard right now as we await the planets update (we've decided on a wipe for planets).

KSP's performance is getting worse for me (I have a monster of a rig but the CPU is 8-core and KSP doesnt like that), and I'm running out of ideas to reinvigorate the experience.

I've launched a whole torus station, so stupifying craft has its check in the box. I've properly colonized Laythe (base, space station, Joolian mining operations to boot) . . . twice. Only other 'mainstream' mega-challenge I have left is a grand tour, and stock mining left a good bit to be desired in the context of self-refueling motherships. I thought about adding mods (hell, I'm now thinking about an OPM grand tour), but ultimately I need a swift kick in the pants or I'm not gonna get through this burnout any time soon.

-Sierra.

I think the route with the greatest efficacy for burnouts has always been to just shelf the game for a little while. Usually I know I'm burnt out because I'll load up the game and just stare blankly in the VAB for 10 mins. So just can it for however long you need to, I usually dive into some books (Silmarillion atm) but whatever tickles your fancy really.

Btw, I'm curios why you say NFP/NFE isn't working... It's up for 1.0.4? Genuinely curious as to your opinion.

EDIT: I didn't play the game from 0.90 until now because mods never really caught up, and if you're one of those players who HAS to have their mods (like me), there's not much you can do but leave it and wait. 9 times out of 10 however, when you return some new awesome thing will have come out, for me this time it was OPM.

Edited by TicTacToe!

Yeah, play a different game for a while. Even eating your favorite food every day would get old eventually.

Get any gems during the steam summer sale? perhaps dust off an old console and play some old classics, or games you have never finished?

I think the route with the greatest efficacy for burnouts has always been to just shelf the game for a little while. Usually I know I'm burnt out because I'll load up the game and just stare blankly in the VAB for 10 mins. So just can it for however long you need to, I usually dive into some books (Silmarillion atm) but whatever tickles your fancy really.

Btw, I'm curios why you say NFP/NFE isn't working... It's up for 1.0.4? Genuinely curious as to your opinion.

Right now balance is whack with it due to HC, Heat Control, being nonfunctional (thank you stock radiators :mad:) and undergoing rebalancing. The balance between NFE and stock radiators is there, but poor (not to mention Nertea's radiators are so much prettier I refuse to use anything else).

It 'works' but as I stated up above, it is unfit for duty in my saves for the time being.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, play a different game for a while. Even eating your favorite food every day would get old eventually.

Get any gems during the steam summer sale? perhaps dust off an old console and play some old classics, or games you have never finished?

The catch I probably should have mentioned is that I did not long ago. I avoided most of 0.90. I basically threw the game to the ground following the announcement of 1.0 (I said it wasn't ready and the botched launch only validated my assessment). I just came back to it but again, I'm only really dabbling (I was playing seriously for about 2 weeks then 1.0.3 destroyed Heat Control and that was the end of my serious KSP'ing). I want to get back into the game, not walk away from it. Therein lies my largest dilemma.

I'm in the same boat, the issues with the 1.0 release and relatively rapid fire updates through 1.0.4 have killed my interest in the game for the time being until we have some real stability again (hopefully after 1.1) so all the mods can be properly updated (and hopefully some of the lingering issues with the game will finally be fixed).

At the moment, I've been working through my Steam library (Humble Bundles and Steam sales have ensured that I'm not lacking for games to play) so I'm quite content to sit things out for the time being. Like TicTacToe! said, taking a break from the game for a little while is probably the best approach when faced with burnout.

confession time. If you ignore the last 3 weeks where I have really gotten back into KSP, I've played about 10 hours since the start of the year.

Again, Excluding July, I played 10 hours of KSP over the previous 6 months. So I understand.

Furthermore if mods updating is one of your reasons to wait, then all the more reason to play something else. Start a thread in the off topic area asking for game suggestions to play to tide you over, tell us what genres you like. No shame in shelving the game for a bit longer. We play games for fun, and when the fun stops....go find something else fun.

I know you said you already took a break, but if you just aren't into it, you just aren't into it you know?

Edited by r4pt0r

confession time. If you ignore the last 3 weeks where I have really gotten back into KSP, I've played about 10 hours since the start of the year.

Again, Excluding July, I played 10 hours of KSP over the previous 6 months. So I understand.

Furthermore if mods updating is one of your reasons to wait, then all the more reason to play something else. Start a thread in the off topic area asking for game suggestions to play to tide you over, tell us what genres you like. No shame in shelving the game for a bit longer. We play games for fun, and when the fun stops....go find something else fun.

I picked up ARK not too long ago. Its fun, but I'll be damned if I can get my little hut built without getting eaten a half a dozen times. First genuinely challenging survival game I've played in too long. Also trying to learn Planetary Annihilation. I am a full-time college student so the funds to go crazy in the Steam store aren't always readily available.

I picked up ARK not too long ago. Its fun, but I'll be damned if I can get my little hut built without getting eaten a half a dozen times. First genuinely challenging survival game I've played in too long. Also trying to learn Planetary Annihilation. I am a full-time college student so the funds to go crazy in the Steam store aren't always readily available.

[offtopic] I bought Planetary Annihilation over a year ago on a sale, and I've yet to play it. Is it any good, can you recommend it?[/offtopic]

[offtopic] I bought Planetary Annihilation over a year ago on a sale, and I've yet to play it. Is it any good, can you recommend it?[/offtopic]

[offtopic] I've been enjoying it, though I haven't done ranked play. As a long-time Homeworld veteran, the concept of quantity over quality for unit comp took me a while to learn. [/offtopic]

EDIT: as an on-topic question, how dead is EVE in 1.0.4? I last heard it was struggling to work right in 1.0.x.

Edited by Captain Sierra

After blitzing a whole lot of 'planes that (could) never fly in reality' in 0.90 I ventured on the edge of burning out sometime in 1.0.2 when I noticed myself building propeller planes from the 1930s of all things. And a fishing boat! Wat...

Thankfully some moons ago I purchased Mass Effect 1 & 2 on the cheap via Steam Sale and got horribly addicted to them for a while, and this set my mind back on track for 1.0.4, which to me is perfectly alright as the aero model resembles old FAR and the new jet engine balancing made contruction of early jet fighters hassle free and rewarding.

Crucially, looking at extreme amounts of sci-fi eyecandy in ME makes me want to adapt other peoples' spaceplane designs to see if I can come up with a certain stealth frigate for exploration of the solar system. Whenever I progress my 1.0.4 career enough to do so, that is. Probably in a few months of playing KSP - theres just no replacement for sending little green men to their doom, except maybe Mass Effect 3 on sale :3

Cooperative goal-based multiplayer. The cure for burnout. Oh and sharing awesome pics taken while doing it:

http://i.imgur.com/BFfKPY0.png

http://imgur.com/a/Mo8U8

Does GotR stand for what I think it does? Cuz that would make you my arch nemesis in Planetside 2.

I'd have to grapple with another install and a multiplayer install. Got the info's for me to work on that?

My multiplayer alarm was set off, although I'm suffering from this a bit too - I can say without a doubt that when you start modding a game you stop playing it and start debugging it.

If squad pulls off a relatively bug free multiplayer I'll be all over it again, I'll probably port over the public server reporter network stuff too :) - I'm kind of at my limits with DMP and there's just things I'm unwilling to work around though...

My multiplayer alarm was set off, although I'm suffering from this a bit too - I can say without a doubt that when you start modding a game you stop playing it and start debugging it.

If squad pulls off a relatively bug free multiplayer I'll be all over it again, I'll probably port over the public server reporter network stuff too :) - I'm kind of at my limits with DMP and there's just things I'm unwilling to work around though...

Considering your mod is arguably the most complex hack for KSP ever, I cant say I blame you.

yes GotR, PS2. Ghosts. you bet. ;)

mp info: go to gotr.us sign up, look for the KSP forum. tell them inigma sent you. you guys are welcome to play and build up a few goals we have. :) best part is in sharing ships and ship designs. :)

Edited by inigma

Started a career game recently without VAB or launchpad. Gave myself some starting sci for the plane-parts, but not funds. It seems I'll need to reach orbit before unlocking turboramjets... and before getting some tarmac on the runway.

I'm having a blast, just like in the first days of playing KSP. Thought I mention it here for the slim chance of inspiring a veteran.

Started a career game recently without VAB or launchpad. Gave myself some starting sci for the plane-parts, but not funds. It seems I'll need to reach orbit before unlocking turboramjets... and before getting some tarmac on the runway.

I'm having a blast, just like in the first days of playing KSP. Thought I mention it here for the slim chance of inspiring a veteran.

I've always wanted to do a plane-only space program, though my inability to make SSTOs with payload capacity is always my undoing. I must admit its so much easier with jumbo-sized jet bypass multimode aerospikes and 3/75m sized lifting body cargo bays. :P

THe triumphant return of the Mk4, quite literally bigger than ever.

KIYLrfo.png

Try Ferram Aerospace Research, and there is only two possibilities that can follow, either you will spend 1-3 hours designing your aircraft so that all the stability numbers are green then you obsess for the area ruling number, then you test it and found it is unstable, then you go back and redesign your aircraft, even to the point that you need to restart from scratch, or you will think that FAR is some overcomplicated aerodynamics that is too tedious. I've been in both of them. Then, after you get your ideal aircraft, you try to do full IVA+map view missions.

Silmarillion

Awesome

I've tried FAR and honestly, it adds a level of realistic detail that I don't want from KSP. Yeah, better drag ruling and actual stalling is great (coming from a guy with flight sim experience) but the yaw instabilities at high altitude supersonic makes flying SSTOs not fun anymore (unless you're prepared to have obscenely large vertical stabilizers).

Then, after you get your ideal aircraft, you try to do full IVA+map view missions.

Funny you should say this . . . I go to a tech school (MIT tech, not local technical college) and there's no shortage of KSP players. We even have a small club. There's also no shortage of software engineers so we were able to cook up a plugin to let us run KSP on 1 computer, but project multiple instances of it to others, effectively letting us have 3 people sit in the same capsule. Between that and a LAN Telemachus server (with the awesome HTML page display someone cooked up for it on the forums) we've run full IVA mission control runs before. We've done spaceplane from KSC to munar station rendezvous, Duna base module delivery (via VTOL skycrane back when FTT was in our mod rotation), And we did the Mun Apollo style in KSP 3.2x.

And yes this is with full joystick/throttle and RPM displays. Once you do that you never look at KSP the same way (and for that matter, every KSP veteran should do that at least once).

iI can add too that.. not so much burned out but some changes have rendered my locomotive fleet redundant because of the docking port "updates" that means a traditionally coupled train with no spacer on the loco and wagon are now rather rigid preventing effective steering in the yard..

i cant use the taxiways to get to the yard and the train simply doesnt bend enough for the radius required to turn..

this forces constant accidents with unplanned wash in the pool..building destruction and failures with brakes

shuntings become almost impossible due to having no flex in the train..steering of the shunter tries its best but ultimately fails..

the solutions been to revert to an i-beam bogey coupling but thats too flexy..causing trains to not track well while underway

add too that trains cant be constructed in the SPH anymore so each bit of rolling stock has to be launched seperately and shunted

its delayed my elcano departure a month and my yard sits idle with 3 locomotives with 100s of KM on thier clocks in a single save having now needing to be recalled into the shed for refit thus resetting it :(

drknnNQ.jpg

Edited by Overland

I am pretty much in the OP's exact situation right now.

Actually it's worse.

I'm getting burned out on space itself. Every time I see my Star Trek models on my shelf I smile and then cringe. I'm getting tired of a constant influx of New Horizons news. I'm trying to write a semi-hard sci-fi story and it's going nowhere. I play KSP, and end up just building a rocket to orbit. I try a mod set up, feel like its too unstockalike, and uninstall it, play again, wish for something new like a mod, etc.

Now if I were a normal person who had interests other than space science, I would just default to that. Problem is, I only like space and trains. And trains don't give me much to work off of without an active HypeTrain journey going on.

I think my problem is actually somewhat simple. I'm bored at home. I have too much free time. When school starts back up in August I will have something to do that has nothing to do with the Kerbal Space Program. I have often found that I am least depressed and most inspired during the school year.

I hope 1.1 will help to renew my interest in the Kerbal Space Program. Only a new feature-set beyond the wheel changes and Unity 5 upgrade would do that I would imagine. Maybe robotic parts or movable rocks or IVAs would present enough of a change to really get back into KSP. More stock planets certainly would help as well. Not just moonlike or gillylike objects orbiting gas giants, but places with interesting physics challenges like storms or volcanoes or fast rotation. Actually that could give our current planets something interesting to do... anyway I have gone on a tangent.

Actually what GregroxMun needs is social interaction, but he's too lazy to get out of his chair and to a movie theater or the mall or something.

Edited by GregroxMun

Ugh... I've been in your same boat for the last few months... I'm kicking off another big project though and that hopefully will raise my moral. I literally haven't done a true mission in over a month.

Well good to know I'm not alone.

I had good intentions today testing a fuel tanker which I'll need to keep my thirsty STS (Sarnus Transfer Stage) fueled, but Dx11 apparently destroys FPS on manned craft (there's a bug report thread for this).

I desparately *want* to go explore OPM but its playing hell for me.

The tanker for the curious:

BL6WdXU.png

Get creative, learn a new skill!

I'm building a physical "Kommand Module" to control KSP. I've never been passed Eve and Duna, and I've committed myself to not doing so until I can use physical controls and gauges to control it. When I DO have that hardware complete... I'll add the Outer Planets mod as well! There will be PLENTY for me to do! Thank God for Kerbal Alarm Clock! :cool:

I'm nearing the point I was at the end of my 0.90 game, in terms of having multiple probes headed to both worlds (2 probes per ship, with 9 sets of single use science per probe, with one probe meant for the planet and the other meant for it's moon). I'm sure I'll be able to spam plenty of science there, and transmit it all back, but I still have not done hardly any Kerbaled landings in my 1.0.x game. I had started to explore Minmus again, and even had several biomes flagged and collected... Till a derped quicksave erased a month's progress. I still have not recreated my Minmus base, my Mun base... None of it! I have two stations. My Skylab station around Kerbin, and my Minmus base that I decided not to land, cause I knew from experience from the lost save, that it was badly engineered, and would always run out of power during Minmus's nights. My solution was to launch tiny probes that were all batteries and solar panels, with a docking port, and land it on TOP of the base to dock it... and then do it AGAIN when I STILL didn't have enough solar to charge the batteries. Long story short, the base was starting to look like a rocket on the pad... It was getting TALL.... So I made it a station.

Also been working on a Mun base, with an ascent stage. No need to keep my pilot on the ground, and someone needs to carry all that science home.

Still...

I plan to use Kerbal Space Program as an excuse to learn to program Arduinos. I even have a REAL FDAI (Flight Director/Attitude Indicator... aka, the navball) out of an F-4 Phantom simulator! :cool:

Edited by richfiles

I've been stuck in a rut too with the game for some time, although mine is more a combination of frustration and real life. Pre-1.0, I could play the game hours at a time and enjoy every bit of it, despite having an occasional bug to deal with. But now it seems that no matter what combination of mods (even going for almost pure-stock setup a few times), I always get hit by some game breaking/limiting bug 30 min. to an hour into playing and I have to spend time troubleshooting and narrowing down the problem to which mod (often, it turns out to be a stock bug like randomly overheating parts or the launch clamp bug). I get frustrated, run out of time, and shelve the game for a few days and come back to experience the same problem, and the routine has become quite old for me.

It's been a good number of days or so since I've fired up KSP, but I keep getting that itch to play it. I've tried playing other games lately, but I get bored with them quickly and wish to be playing KSP instead... but I hold off because of the frustrations I've had recently. Sadly, I need something like KSP to keep my mind off of real life. My mother was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer back in May, and I'm afraid to say that the situation will not have a happy ending. I spend a lot of time caring for her, and a lot of time just being with her, along with other day-to-day things and obligations I have. But I do need the occasional "me time" to ease off my mind for an hour or two, and KSP had been my go to thing for just that. I guess the stress of real life has been too much for me to handle additional stress from a video game, yet I have not found anything else to fill that "me time" void without wanting to be playing KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.