The (unofficial) KSP Soundtrack Compliation

waterlubber

In an effort to drown out the sound of exploding rockets, KSP has decided to create a new division dedicated to finding pieces of music!

This thread has two sections:

Existing Soundtrack, and Suggested Songs.

Existing Soundtrack serves to identify songs---, for example, the Main Theme was composed by MaxMaps iirc.

Suggested Songs are songs that fit well with KSP and should be added. Shouldn't have any lyrics, instrumental versions preferred.

To add to the existing soundtrack section, post in this format:

Where Song Is Found:

Name Of Song:

Origin (i.e a download at incompetech)

Description: (i.e the one that's all bouncy in the VAB)

Suggesting a song is different:

Name Of Song:

Download/Location:

Good place for it:

Description.

Space Songs

Frost Waltz: The one with the glockenspiel. Kevin MacLeod

Frozen Star: Has a choir of a sort. Link.

Space Ambient Mix: Bit loud, but good!

Space Engine Soundtrack: Fits very well!

Protectors Of The Earth: Intense track, good for launches, reentries, and rover voyages.

BagelRabbit's Music: Sorted by planet, didn't have time to listen to them all, post is here.

|- Minimus: Good for when you transmit your career's first science home!

Edit:

To change your soundtrack, get Kerbal Soundtrack Editor.

Edited by Vanamonde

No existing song currently.

Description: When vehicle is spawned for launch

Song: "To Glory" - Two Steps from Hell

No existing song currently.

Description: Vehicle first reenters the atmosphere

Song: "Protectors of the Earth" - Two Steps from Hell

Best,

-Slashy

I'll put in a bunch of shameless plugs here, since I was considered one of the big KSP composers for a little while. (I really need to work on more songs!)

Suggested Songs:

Name: DUNA

Download/Location:

(Also, check out Avera9eJoe's percussion cover while you're at it!)

Good Place For It: Upon landing on Duna/entering the SoI.

Description: A faster-paced melody with plenty of violin and a punchy bass synth, DUNA made the Daily Kerbal and prompted the hashtag #ThisShouldBeStock from Wookiee and others.

~~~

Name: EVE

Download/Location:

Good Place For It: Upon landing on Eve/entering the SoI.

Description: An etherial melody "borrowing" a lot from the KSP theme, EVE is another mostly-violin composition that's peaceful yet haunting, or something. (I need better ways of describing my music!)

~~~

Name: DRES

Download/Location:

Good Place For It: Upon landing on Dres/entering the SoI.

Description: A slow and haunting melody that describes quite well how gosh-darned lonely Dres is.

~~~

Name: MINMUS

Download/Location:

Good Place For It: Upon landing on Minmus/entering the SoI.

Description: An icy melody with a seriously cool background ambience. (NOTE: My download link for Minmus, found in the video description, tones down the high notes a tad, resulting in a much better mix.)

~~~

Name: MOHO

Download/Location:

Good Place For It: Upon landing on Moho/entering the SoI.

Description: An interesting blend of melodies with a distinct vibe, MOHO captures how there's something a little... off... about the planet closest to the Sun.

~~~

Name: SUN

Download/Location:

Good Place For It: Upon entering the Sun's SoI.

Description: This is the sort of music that is well-suited to a long voyage sailing through the fathomless deeps of interplanetary space.

~~~

All of these melodies are played entirely by me. I'm not bad at violin :blush:

There's also some other KSP-themed music I've done, but none of it fits quite well enough in-game. To learn more about each of my songs, please go here. IMHO, these songs may not be perfect, but they would make good additions to the already-existing realm of KSP music and really enhance the feeling of landing somewhere for the first time :)

-Upsilon

• 2 years later...

Pretty much everything here is game for listening to in KSP: 

All the tracks should be downloadable, if not let me know and I'll make sure the settings are correct.

A brief description of each track: 

With the World Drifting By

Good for arrival in LKO or watching the world get smaller after you complete a transfer or escape burn.

Blue Skies Again

This track is an inverse to the previous one, good for when you are arriving back at your home planet.

This Is What We Came For

This is a theme for the approach to Mars months after leaving Earth. It can probably work nicely when approaching Duna.

Eve

This theme is specifically for the planet Eve. Best used as the sun rises in orbit.

2084 Martian Olympics

The first song I wrote about the future, when we have proper cities on other worlds. Maybe would sound nice when buzzing the control tower and such.

Arrival

Use when aerobraking at another planet.

Caverns of the Moon

Unfortunately there are no caves on the Mun, but there are mysterious or shadowy places where this might be appropriate.

Europa

Theme for Jupiter's moon Europa. Might work well with Laythe or Vall orbit, or Vall surface.

Moss

This one's not about space. Use when squinting at tiny bugs. :P 

Distant

Theme for being in orbit around Saturn. May work in Jool orbit.

Soyuz

Theme for the Soyuz. Use when docking Russian vehicles to your space station.

The Ancient Seabed

A combination of Earth and Mars' themes. If you find out you're on an ancient shoreline on Duna, use this song. 

Success

Just a happy song. Maybe play while doing donuts on Duna.

The Sun

Play when you're too close to the sun for comfort. Basically anywhere closer than Eve.

To CUP

Theme for the ISS. Best for floating around in the interior.

Interplanetary Sand Castle

Theme for admiring how similar Laythe is to Kerbin.

Tycho City

Theme for a future colony in Tycho Crater. Play when flying low on the Mun with extremely advanced spacecraft.

Mushroom

I don't think there are any mushrooms or spiders in KSP. Sorry.

But It Might Be Made of Ice Cream

A bouncy Minmus theme. Use when being bouncy at Minmus.

Gravitational Waves

Theme for gravitational waves from distant black holes. Use when making discoveries in the frontiers of physics in deep space.

Lunar Eclipse

Theme for last year's December lunar eclipse. Use when quietly admiring astronomical events from the surface of a world.

CAELUS

Theme for the planet Caelus. There is no analog for Caelus in KSP, though, so maybe use if you want a darker, more ominous feel to Jool.

The Burning Satellite

This theme is about watching from the ground as a satellite burns up above. 

Nearly Fell Off the Moon

Use when you have to try way too hard to move from point A to point B on Gilly.

Falcon Heavy OST

This song lines up perfectly with the Falcon Heavy test flight, but you can probably get it to line up all right with your launch too.

Ping Pong At Neptune

When you are bored and really need to kill some time, but you are hopelessly far away from home. Feels like this at Dres or Eeloo.

The Vallhenge

When you make a tremendous, inexplicable discovery on Vall, this is the only song in the world written specifically for it.

Mr. Steven Almost Catches A Fairing

Unfortunately it's hard to know in advance whether you're going to nail that gliding landing with your crazy spaceplane, but this song assumes you don't.

Floating Water Droplets

Play when you're far away from everything, and wish you were somewhere.

Thinking of the Moon

This one is like the Moon theme, but it's just me improvising on my piano. It is interesting, should work great for getting determined at the Mun.

Racing Across the Valles Marineris

A sunrise at Mars, and then a low-flying, high speed joyride.

The Factory

This theme is for the construction of the BFR, and the potential it brings. It's exciting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.