[1.0.5] S^3 - SmallSolarSystem

Niemand303

One day there was an awesome RSS config made by thyriel. After RSS changed its engine it doesn't work anymore, so I decided to take on it by myself. While being loosely based on the original config, it has several changes.

Features:

• All bodies size reduced to 1/10th
  • Atmosphere have been reduced only for Earth (stock one instead), they are real life sized for other planets (watch out on Jupiter ^^). This makes ascents a bit longer, descents easier then in stock KSP. But it's more on realism. Delta-v usage isn't that much more compared to stock game so no need for any engine changes.
  • Earth rotates roughly at Kerbin scale, so a year has ~470 days, a day is 6 hours.
  • Orbits are reduced to 10% scale by range. If i would have scaled them by time factor (how long is a day) transfer delta-v's would increase a lot and it wouldn't be playable with stock engines. But that means that earth won't be on the same position every year.
  • TerrainHeight: Reduced to 25% mostly.
  • Phobos & Deimos: Because of issues with even more reduced size, those tiny moons of mars are real world sized with reduced orbit around mars.
  • Rotation Periods have been scaled down by time scale earth vs. kerbin time (therefore tidally locked moons have a longer period in days as kerbin has a longer year)
  • Stock warp times

Installation:

1. Install RSS TEXTURES
  2. Grab the mod here >DOWNLOAD<
  3. Put the folder "SmallSolarSystem" in GameData
  4. (optional) If you want to use RT, install RSS config
  5. Don't forget to install KSC Switcher for different starting locations!
  6. The mod is now CKAN for easy installations!

Showcase (send your photos :))

License: MIT License

Great, I was planning on something like this as well. Dammit.

Good job by the way.

Thanks! :)

This is just the first version, more updates will be coming! I want to make EVE configs too. ATM the mod is simply one small MM patch. :)

Just installed this, working great (mostly)! Thanks for doing this! :D

Got some "flashing atmosphere" bug when running it with elements from Astronomer's Pack - trying to pin down exactly which part is causing it. Astronomer's clouds seem okay.

Niem, would you be interested in a 1/3rd scale option for this mod?

I basically have one i made up myself, i'd like to take yours, tweak it around to 1/3rd scale, and hand it back to you to go on the top post along with this mod. Be like the equivalent of K365 or SKY/SKRX for RSS.

Hi,

and thanks for remaking this, played with it since 0.24.2. And a question: Has anyone got RVE or KSPRC to work nicely with this config?

Thanks in advance!

RVE might be your best bet, but if you do not find anything, the general procedure of adapting EVE packs to rescales is to look for clipping or otherwise displaced layers, adjust their height to a decent level via EVE's ingame gui (alt+n) and then edit those values in the respective .cfgs in /BoulderCo. When using a downscaled RSS, you will aditionally have to tweak the body names in those .cfgs - also some cloud layers might not fit with their planets (eve-venus, titan-laythe).

Thanks Tellion,

already tried RVE, it glitches and framerate drops to unplayable levels, plus the fading etc. is assuming a larger planet….Well, I'm currently trying to tweak KSPRC...

Thanks again!

Sounds like a good continuation of the mod for me! I should learn to make EVE configs then. :)

Also, about 1/3 RSS, I can make this configs. Unfortunately I'm leaving for a week, so I won't be able to post/mod anything. But when I return back I can do that. :)

This is great, Ive always wanted to use Rss at stock size!

I have played about an hour with it today and done a couple of Moon landings. I noticed when I returned from map view that my lander fell through the ground on the moon. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I really like the concept of this mod ! It is something I always wanted to do (and considered to make it myself).

Is there a way to disable RO's parts modification ?

EDIT :

Nevermind, I thought it was a patch for realism overhaul, not RSS only. Sorry.

Edited by MegaUZI

This is great! Thanks! I prefer this to tweaking the engine's ISP in the 'big' one.

Does it work with RSS planet moons expansion pack as well? I couldn t try it yet because the download keeps failing on my feeble internet connection.

Thanks Tellion,

already tried RVE, it glitches and framerate drops to unplayable levels, plus the fading etc. is assuming a larger planet….Well, I'm currently trying to tweak KSPRC...

Thanks again!

If you manage to do that please share. Earth desperatly needs clouds and an atmosphere. I couldn't get scatterer to work at all. And I couldn't get EVE's clouds to stop flickering. Even though they are fine in the KSC view and once you reach about 200km in altitude.

Hi Nookos,

spent the better part of my evenings this week trying...I'm sorry, I just can't get the hang of RSSKopernicus.cfg plus I suspect the new RSS does simply not work with EVE 7-4 ...

-I managed to get the KSPRC-clouds on Kerbin/Earth but they lost their volumetricity (is this even a word? Oo). Well, didn't get flickering but that might be attributed to OpenGL. On the other planets I tried switching the names in the config and Mars was fine from orbit but turned into a second sun (reddish glowing ball without discernable features) during descent...

TL,DR: I'm not skilled enough to get it working...

Sorry

Edited by E.Nygma

Hi Nookos,

spent the better part of my evenings this week trying...I'm sorry, I just can't get the hang of RSSKopernicus.cfg plus I suspect the new RSS does simply not work with EVE 7-4 ...

-I managed to get the KSPRC-clouds on Kerbin/Earth but they lost their volumetricity (is this even a word? Oo). Well, didn't get flickering but that might be attributed to OpenGL. On the other planets I tried switching the names in the config and Mars was fine from orbit but turned into a second sun (reddish glowing ball without discernable features) during descent...

TL,DR: I'm not skilled enough to get it working...

Sorry

I will take a look later today or tomorrow and see if I can get it working, I'll let you know. :)

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.