KSP Wasn't Designed For This....

Jett_Quasar

It started out innocently enough - I just wanted to take advantage of the transfer window to Eve in order to set up a colony. Then things started getting out of hand, five launches turned to ten then twenty then thirty because you know - I had to make sure I had everything, the transfer window was coming up right away and I didn't want to miss it; I would have to wait almost a whole year for the next one (gasp).

GpJv44e.png

The arrival at Eve wasn't quite so orderly and was more reminiscent of an invasion rather than exploration or even colonization.

3qplhNf.png

I sent a bunch of probes first of course because you need to be able to harvest that data.

KG2Qa1g.png

A fuel depot is an absolute necessity.

5A6NaVo.png

A small outpost on Gilly (I still need to get that module the right way up).

7SoOAyB.png

And of course Gilly needs it's own space station as well.

TcuW2t6.png

The large base on Eve was the most difficult and time consuming thing I've ever built.

E3aYnRk.png

And just for good measure I added a smaller outpost close by as well.

g1qwxvq.png

I guess the most impressive thing I built was the space station. I called it Armenia after "The Who" song "Armenia City in the Sky".

wUgd7xO.png

And in the end it was all pretty much unnecessary, simply causing the game to get laggy and I ended up getting burnt out and putting it down for a while (of course the GF said I wasn't spending enough time with her, that may have had something to do with it as well). The game is designed to have single flight for each contract, and move on to the next. That's how it works best so let this be a lesson for all you kids...

Don't get to crazy on the colonization it will MESS YOU UUUUUUUUP!

03Y3vnF.png

If you want to play this scenario for yourself in KSP V1.0.4 I've posted the quick save here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fb25qm8myxljxn/EVEquicksave.sfs?dl=0

Simply create a Sandbox game named "Eve", and download the file into the ...KSP_win\saves\Eve directory and rename it to "quicksave.sfs". Play the Eve game and hold F9 for three seconds to reload the quicksave and you're there.

Some parts have changed between the time I did this and the latest version so a few craft won't work quite right, but I've cleaned up most of the broken stuff. I would recommend using all of the remaining bases on Gilly - Eve is just too much work to try to build another base. Besides, it's bad enough that all the Kerbals already on the planet are stranded there...

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

Quite the contrary, this is EXACTLY what the game should be! :sticktongue:

I used to think that way but it's actually a lot more fun if you go mission by mission. Sure set up some infrastructure and bases and whatnot, but my experience has been that it's better to land an all-in-one base than to put it together piecemeal.

JR

I thought you must run into the trouble of two ships entering atmosphere at overlapping times?

Yeah, too many craft flying areobraking and requiring maneuvers at the same time is way more work than it's worth. It's actually surprising how spread out the flights get - they all left Kerbin at pretty much the same time but variations in the orbit caused them to arrive at much different times and even angles of entry for the Eve SOI. I did it and trust me, it's better to build your colonies one flight at a time. Build a kick ass space station, and base and all of that, just do it in stages that's my recommendation.

I checked the persistent.sfs and it was at just over 9Mb. The save was for Eve only, all other flights were deleted.

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

Now that all your friends are gathered, I would like to tell you why we're really here...

You have a problem, and this is an intervention!

Dude! I told you I got a TINFOIL HAT!

Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal. Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

Wow. Just....wow.

Y'all can do this stuff!? Man, I am bad at this game :D

*returns to puttering around the Mun and Minmus*

This was done before in a previous version of KSP. I'm not sure it could be done now - I'm certainly not going to try again. There are lots of better things to do in this version of the game.

JR

This was done before in a previous version of KSP. I'm not sure it could be done now - I'm certainly not going to try again. There are lots of better things to do in this version of the game.

JR

Considering what a chore aerobraking at Eve is, it'd be even more of a feat of both craft design and mission management (since it will for sure take multiple aerobraking passes to establish low orbit).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.