Parachutes auto deploy and burn up

Haven't played a bit since 1.0 went live and I know that then there were some issues with the heat and bits burning off. My problem is my parachutes (mk16) auto deploy during re-entry and then burn up. I can go straight up to 100km and come straight down or I can do a sub orbit across the ocean planning to land in the sea to the East. Doesn't matter the chutes pop and burn up.

Any suggestions on what I can do to avoid this?

Mods:

Kerbal Engineer

Navhud

Remote tech

Science Alert

Edited by Thybountyhunter

Check your staging and make sure the chutes don't stage at the same time your decoupler does...put them on their own stage. Don't stage your chutes till you are going less than 250m/s otherwise they will be destroyed by heat and aero forces.

Check your staging and make sure the chutes don't stage at the same time your decoupler does...put them on their own stage

They are on a stage of their own. The last one without anything else there. I tend to wait until I am under 200m/s before I deploy them.

Straight up and down may end up being too fast too low and chute doesn't have enough time to slow you down.

I did a sub orbit and the same thing. The chutes deploy and burn up themselves as I and heating up entering the atmosphere. I am not even hitting space for the staging at all.

Why is everyone so obsessed with the safe to deploy reading? I just set minimum deploy pressure to .65 and never have any issues. That pressure is about 3 km above sea level, so you should never be supersonic there anyways.

Kerbin tallest peak is 6767 m so mountains could be a threat to parachute landings. I think the range to the West of KSC is strictly less than 5 km. A pressure of .45 would be more safe for mountains, but keeping supersonic speeds at 5 km isn't unheard of. Better use airbrakes out stay structures for such craft.

• 2 weeks later...
I have never seen this in stock, so under the presumption that it's a bug related to mods, the thread has been moved to modded support.

Nope. Not to do with mods. Just changed so as to become fiendishly difficult if you have just started and not made orbit yet, cannot therefore modulate angle of approach etc etc etc. heat shield functions fine but mk16 gets blown off the top of the pod no matter what I do. It was fun before they changed it. Now it's not.

• 2 months later...
I have never seen this in stock, so under the presumption that it's a bug related to mods, the thread has been moved to modded support.

Has nothing to do with mods am playing without any and parachutes seem to be useless in the beginning of the game haven't had them work yet without destroying themselves.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.