ASET Props Pack. v1.5 (for the modders who create IVA)

alexustas

I had a question. If I'm correct (I'm new to this idea of creating an IVA) I will need to place the part by using the location in partInternal.cfg file and then check in KSP to see if it looks right. Am I right? Is there a better way? Another plugin that refreshes parts? I would like to use your parts pack and RPM (maybe Avionic Systems) to create IVA's for all of the stock cabins, but I'm a little lost looking at the documentation as to whether I'm understanding this correctly.

19 hours ago, Blinkboy77 said:

I love your work, Did you plan to do a mod for the new capsules?

You might already know, but you can just change @Part[partname] in ASET/MK1-2_IVA_Replacement_by_ASET/MK1-2ASETinternal-patch to @PART[Mk2pod] and @PART[mk1-3pod] which will give the new parts the MK1-2 internal.

Please don't use the Mk1-2 pod on the Mk2 pod... you are unable to switch seats (or at least I was) because there is only room for (2? maybe 1?).

Edited by nightstalker101s

5 hours ago, nightstalker101s said:

I had a question. If I'm correct (I'm new to this idea of creating an IVA) I will need to place the part by using the location in partInternal.cfg file and then check in KSP to see if it looks right. Am I right? Is there a better way? Another plugin that refreshes parts? I would like to use your parts pack and RPM (maybe Avionic Systems) to create IVA's for all of the stock cabins, but I'm a little lost looking at the documentation as to whether I'm understanding this correctly.

I'm a little upset with myself now. I figured out how to make an IVA after 3-4 years of wanting to, but being super confused. Now I feel like a complete moron, but I wanted to say thank you so much for all of your work. You are an amazing person and one of the people continuing to keep the KSP heart pumping!

Edit: @alexustas are the ASET props already configured to work with MAS?

Edited by nightstalker101s

On 15.03.2018 at 8:57 PM, nightstalker101s said:

Edit: @alexustas are the ASET props already configured to work with MAS?

No. I'm at the very beginning of development. I decided not just to port my props to work with the MAS, but to create an entirely new flight management system.  So I have a lot of work ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't seem to get any of the TRIANGLE_90 or TRIANGLE_90_Beveled primitives props to show in any internal in either KSP 1.2.2 or 1.3.1 (haven't tried in 1.4.x yet). The BOX (plain and beveled) and the equilateral triangle ones show up just fine. Any ideas? I'm using v1.5 of the props package.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:06 AM, akardam said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't seem to get any of the TRIANGLE_90 or TRIANGLE_90_Beveled primitives props to show in any internal in either KSP 1.2.2 or 1.3.1 (haven't tried in 1.4.x yet). The BOX (plain and beveled) and the equilateral triangle ones show up just fine. Any ideas? I'm using v1.5 of the props package.

They haven't ever worked. We've tried different things, but they never show up in-game.

Hi @alexustas

I'm messing about with the props, I'm just placing them in the IVA for @Shadowmage's SSTU Orion Capsule, but a couple of the switches don't seem to carry out the desired function.

So, the prop tggl_ENGINE_ENABLE_T2_G3-B3-S will not enable the main engine. If I switch to the external view and enable the engine, then switch back to IVA, the prop has flipped over and I can then use it to *disable* the engine, but I can't enable it again with that prop.

Similarly, the prop pb_CHUTE_DEPLOY-F02-B6-C2 doesn't deploy the chute. I have to switch to the external view, right click the capsule and hit the blue GUI button to deploy the chute

Is there an obvious fix for this?

Many thanks! Your mods have already given me countless hours of pleasure! :)

Edit: (Sorry just worked out the '@' tag)

Edited by RealTimeShepherd

On 4/14/2018 at 10:44 AM, RealTimeShepherd said:

Similarly, the prop pb_CHUTE_DEPLOY-F02-B6-C2 doesn't deploy the chute. I have to switch to the external view, right click the capsule and hit the blue GUI button to deploy the chute

This is likely related to that part using a custom module for parachutes (e.g. does not use the stock, nor realchute, but something entirely custom).  It would all depend on how ASET/RPM links the buttons in the IVA to the methods in the modules; which I know nothing about.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:44 AM, RealTimeShepherd said:

Hi @alexustas

I'm messing about with the props, I'm just placing them in the IVA for @Shadowmage's SSTU Orion Capsule, but a couple of the switches don't seem to carry out the desired function.

So, the prop tggl_ENGINE_ENABLE_T2_G3-B3-S will not enable the main engine. If I switch to the external view and enable the engine, then switch back to IVA, the prop has flipped over and I can then use it to *disable* the engine, but I can't enable it again with that prop.

Is there an obvious fix for this?

Many thanks! Your mods have already given me countless hours of pleasure! :)

Edit: (Sorry just worked out the '@' tag)

Chute deploy depends on using RealChute mod. Engine Enable depends on the engine already being staged, I think. Make sure you have RasterPropMonitor installed, or none of these switches will do anything at all.

RPM (and MAS) are only aware of the stock ModuleParachute and RealChute's RealChuteModule.  Provided the right methods and fields are exposed in public fields in the SSTU parachute module, MAS could become aware of it as well.  I've stopped developing features for RPM, so I won't be retrofitting support to it.

So, the prop tggl_ENGINE_ENABLE_T2_G3-B3-S will not enable the main engine.

The logic for switching engines is a little convoluted.  If an engine is enabled and it can be shut down, it will be shut down.  If an engine is disabled, and it allows restart, and it is part of the current stage (according to the stage counter on the KSP UI), then you can switch it on.  If the engine isn't part of the current stage, it won't switch.

On 4/18/2018 at 6:36 PM, Shadowmage said:

This is likely related to that part using a custom module for parachutes (e.g. does not use the stock, nor realchute, but something entirely custom).  It would all depend on how ASET/RPM links the buttons in the IVA to the methods in the modules; which I know nothing about.

On 4/18/2018 at 11:28 PM, theonegalen said:

Chute deploy depends on using RealChute mod. Engine Enable depends on the engine already being staged, I think. Make sure you have RasterPropMonitor installed, or none of these switches will do anything at all.

On 4/19/2018 at 2:25 PM, MOARdV said:

RPM (and MAS) are only aware of the stock ModuleParachute and RealChute's RealChuteModule.  Provided the right methods and fields are exposed in public fields in the SSTU parachute module, MAS could become aware of it as well.  I've stopped developing features for RPM, so I won't be retrofitting support to it.

The logic for switching engines is a little convoluted.  If an engine is enabled and it can be shut down, it will be shut down.  If an engine is disabled, and it allows restart, and it is part of the current stage (according to the stage counter on the KSP UI), then you can switch it on.  If the engine isn't part of the current stage, it won't switch.

Thanks all for your advice!

I have confirmed that the tggl_ENGINE_ENABLE_T2_G3-B3-S prop *does* work if the engine is part of the current stage.

I guess there is not much I can do about the chute controls in this particular capsule for the moment.

Stoked about the new set of MAS props being developed by @MOARdV and @alexustas though. Can't wait for those! :)

Cheers guys!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to make an IVA for the new KV-1 pod. So far, I'm able to get ASET props to show up in the game, but I'm running into an issue with all of the SAS push-buttons: clicking on them plays the button-press sound, but the selected SAS mode doesn't actually change. I've compared the .cfg file I've made to the .cfgs for the Near Future pods, which have the same buttons working correctly, but can't find any differences. This is my first time using the Unity editor and PartTools, so I assume that I'm missing some necessary step after spawning the props and positioning them where I want them.

Update: I checked my ksp.log and found a bunch of errors of the forms "Cannot find an InternalModule of typename 'JSIInternalRPMButtons'" and "[InternalProp]: Failed finding module JSIInternalRPMButtons for method ButtonSASModeStabilityAssist". More investigation is required.

Edited by Sovetskysoyuz

Also triyng to IVA' a bit. Now I'm a complete noob with Unity, but everything works fine so far.

However, I got a problem with the textures. Unity does not fully support DDS textures, obviously, but it's fine if I get something like this:

Spoiler

zUkWuul.png

I can work with that. However, with a lot of the newer cockpits, I get this instead:

Spoiler

8dzXgcf.pngPeZy0mI.png

And it's pretty hard to create IVAs when you can't even see the cockpit. Maybe it's not even loading correctly, considering the last picture?

My setup is basically a new Unity project, but with a gamedata folder containing the Squad, JSI and ASET folder. 

Edited by Temeter

On 5/15/2018 at 9:42 PM, Sovetskysoyuz said:

I'm trying to make an IVA for the new KV-1 pod. So far, I'm able to get ASET props to show up in the game, but I'm running into an issue with all of the SAS push-buttons: clicking on them plays the button-press sound, but the selected SAS mode doesn't actually change. I've compared the .cfg file I've made to the .cfgs for the Near Future pods, which have the same buttons working correctly, but can't find any differences. This is my first time using the Unity editor and PartTools, so I assume that I'm missing some necessary step after spawning the props and positioning them where I want them.

Update: I checked my ksp.log and found a bunch of errors of the forms "Cannot find an InternalModule of typename 'JSIInternalRPMButtons'" and "[InternalProp]: Failed finding module JSIInternalRPMButtons for method ButtonSASModeStabilityAssist". More investigation is required.

I believe I've fixed the issue. I was causing it. The chain of events was:

• Due to my unfamiliarity with Unity, I was editing the IVA cfg file in SquadExpansion/Spaces, rather than a dummy file that I could copy into a ModuleManager cfg
  • When I then created a new cfg file to act as the ModuleManager patch and add the RasterPropModuleComputer module, I didn't realize that Windows was appending a .txt extension after the .cfg that I had typed. This prevented ModuleManager from loading the file.
  • Because the cfg wasn't getting loaded, the game was just loading the stock cfg file that I'd been editing. The RasterPropModuleComputer module wasn't being called out, so any prop function tied to JSIInternalRPMButtons wouldn't work properly. The stock button functions were unaffected because they were already there.

After I fixed the file extension, everything seems to be working correctly. Now to figure out how to replace the mediocre texture on the stock control panel...

On 5/17/2018 at 5:04 AM, Temeter said:

And it's pretty hard to create IVAs when you can't even see the cockpit. Maybe it's not even loading correctly, considering the last picture?

The Obnoxious Pink color typically indicates that Unity can't find a shader.  From the screen shot, it looks like you've got Unity 2018.1 installed - KSP is on 2017.1.3, so that *may* be the issue.  The DDS issue is an ongoing problem, and I'm surprised that Unity still doesn't have a DDS loader in the tool, considering the ubiquity of that file format.  If I really need to see textures, I'll have a separate GameData installation for IVA production with the props and IVAs I need, and I'll batch convert the DDS files I need to something else (like PNG).

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

The Obnoxious Pink color typically indicates that Unity can't find a shader.  From the screen shot, it looks like you've got Unity 2018.1 installed - KSP is on 2017.1.3, so that *may* be the issue.  The DDS issue is an ongoing problem, and I'm surprised that Unity still doesn't have a DDS loader in the tool, considering the ubiquity of that file format.  If I really need to see textures, I'll have a separate GameData installation for IVA production with the props and IVAs I need, and I'll batch convert the DDS files I need to something else (like PNG).

Yeah, pretty strange how they don't support the texture format that seem the most common.

I indeed got the newest unity version installed, guess I gotta look if I can get an older one; thanks for the answer!

2 hours ago, MOARdV said:

The DDS issue is an ongoing problem, and I'm surprised that Unity still doesn't have a DDS loader in the tool, considering the ubiquity of that file format. 

Its a licensing issue, that has been going on since 2010. I guess Unity and Microsoft (creators of the DDS format), cant or wont come to terms...
Yes, its a PIA for Unity users.

@MOARdV can i ask what method you are using to batch convert DDS to png?
I've been doing it manually, file by file, and its a PIA... When I was helping to propulate IVAs for a certain station parts pack, NF Props was updating fast and furiously... So instead of having to convert for every update, I saved a seperate folder of all the converted pngs, (added new ones as needed), and then just copied the folder of pngs into gamedata, anytime the mod updated...

I still have the folders of pngs for NF Props, TD Industries Props, RPM, MAS, ASET Props and Avionics, and a few other things... Now, anytime i need to work with them in Unity, its usually a quick copy/pasta instead of a day-long dds conversion session...

@Temeter latest 2017.1.3 patch is here (its listed seperately from the main releases for some reason):
https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

nice tht this came up... I didnt realise patch 4 had released (I'm on 3)... :P

Edited by Stone Blue

4 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

can i ask what method you are using to batch convert DDS to png?

texconv.exe, part of Microsoft's DirectX SDK.  I've had it so long, I don't remember if I had to build it from DX SDK source, or if it was bundled as a binary.  (The copy I have is about 5 years old)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Temeter Did you ever get your unity to load the models correctly? I am also working on an IVA for the new MK1-3 pod and have the same purple/texture not loading issue. I tried all the solutions mentioned and zip.

@MOARdV Could you give an example of the code you use to convert from .dds to .png? When I do it, the texture placing gets misconfigured when I load any space into unity. I am using 2017.1.3p4.

Edited by Ktufuathama
Addition Question

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.