What do you think of this comic?

CelticCossack51

How disappointed are you?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How disappointed are you?

Read the red text below

Sorry for this mess, I instantly realized what I have done and regretted it.

I was browsing for some good NASA memes and then I found this. Personally it does not anger me.

c_12172006_520.gif

Edit: Sorry for this. Whenever I'm tired I become a hyper sensitive little emperor.

Edited by CelticCossack51

It's painfully close to accurate. Substantially less so than 9 years ago, given that the ISS has now generated scientific results (eg: AMS's dark matter limits), and is acting as infrastructure for commercial cargo/crew systems. That the station's lifespan has been extended, and Constellation is gone also help.

Cartoons don't anger me. Anybody should have the ability to say they mind, no matter how ill informed they are on the subject they speak of. It is the listener that has the responsibility to judge what he sees and hears and reject or accept the claims made.

I understand that some people don't appreciate the stuff done on and around ISS. It's not necessarily their fault they are not informed well about it (although one could argue that they should inform themselves on the matter they publicly talk about). Some are not interested in space or technology in general and as such didn't have the chance to absorb the knowledge of subtle, yet important changes that humanity in general received as a direct or indirect result of space exploration.

Just like most of us (I would imagine) know pretty much nothing about the advancements made in the nail polish industry.

The combined volume of modern knowledge is so vast that no single human could ever hope to master it in its entirety. We are very limited in our capacity and have to pick and choose the topics we want to learn about. If someone doesn't pick space exploration and physics it should be perfectly understandable.

I'm not mad about it. It's about human nature in a way. We dream about even a small town, village, hamlet even on the Moon or Mars but in a few thousand years, if we don't destroy ourselves by then or a natural disaster destroys our civilization, It'll probably be ancient history and we'll have expanded to the stars. But, the nutty thing is, is that we'll still want to expand more. We could find the theoretical edge of the universe and we'd still want to break through to get more.

I also agree with Shpaget. If you don't like a radio station or book, you don't get mad at the author or host, you simply don't read that author or tune that station. And sometimes people that are "on the outside" of discussions or interests can bring a unique, sometimes controversial element to the discussion within. Just because someone isn't interested in a topic doesn't mean that their views towards it are completely false. One could be totally disinterested in, say, politics, but when asked about it they could say that politics brings unnecessary conflict to the world. There is, as observed by Shpaget, too much information in the world for any one person to know it all, and that you must pick and choose what you want to know about. This cartoonist obviously knows more about cartooning, being a cartoonist, and current events, being a newspaper cartoonist. And, in the fast-paced industry of news, there probably isn't much time in a day to pick a current or near-current event, conceive an idea for a cartoon it, draw it, and send it off to the paper to be approved and publicated.

Plus, isn't it a bit silly and a waste of ones' time and energy getting angry at a cartoon in a newspaper when you could use that time and energy helping people or learning about whatever it is you wish to know more about? Life is too short to worry yourself with a cartoon.

Edited by Flymetothemun

Satirical cartooning is an art. Part of that art is to get the point across without a whole paragraph of text.

That he failed to do that makes me more mad than his "message."

Though if I'm reading it correctly, that cartoon was drawn 9 years ago. Which makes me far happier than anything else made me mad.

every idiot has its own cartoonist outlets. every viewpoint its mockers... who the idiots are gets decided by history, and even that may be only temporary.

we mock them, they mock us.

that's the way it should be.

I couldn't disagree more with the cartoons message, but i appreciate its existence.

I voted "Meh." This is because we are constantly expanding, although I don't think it's fair to have the budget of a twinkie (NASA) and be a division of something that has a lot of money and pretends they don't. (The American Government. I'm not trying to sound offensive, but Hitler had a brain. An evil one indeed, but a brain.)

It's painfully close to accurate. Substantially less so than 9 years ago, given that the ISS has now generated scientific results (eg: AMS's dark matter limits), and is acting as infrastructure for commercial cargo/crew systems. That the station's lifespan has been extended, and Constellation is gone also help.

While I agree that ISS is a waste of time for real science for the most part, and agree ASM is "it" for actual science done there, it's important to realize that the artist likely thinks all such money should have been spent on direct payments to deadbeats given his politics. I doubt his concern is that the money would have been better spent on robotic space probes :) that's why I voted meh.

Ooooh, Zing!

Wide of the mark though IMHO. There's science that can only be done on a crewed space station, though the ISS we got might not have been the most cost-effective way to build such a station.

It's the Washington Post, what more needs to be said? Any further comment would be totally political (although anything and everything having to do with a 'space program' is political, including the science behind it), and politics here ruffles too many feathers ... can't have that.

I find this comic to be one of the many that only displays half the truth. Yes, the station is now complete, and yes, it will now be abandoned (in another five years. Or was it fifteen?) but the facility was never "useless". Bountiful scientific knowledge was gained on the ISS, not to mention that it was a way for many countries to collaborate on a peaceful task for the betterment of our species.

I find this comic to be one of the many that only displays half the truth. Yes, the station is now complete, and yes, it will now be abandoned (in another five years. Or was it fifteen?) but the facility was never "useless". Bountiful scientific knowledge was gained on the ISS, not to mention that it was a way for many countries to collaborate on a peaceful task for the betterment of our species.

The science done is actually pretty marginal. The only real value is human physiology in a microgravity environment, which we already knew was troublesome for long-duration flights (not that it is bad to characterize it). The principle function of ISS was never to do science, it was to occupy people who might otherwise end up employed making ballistic missiles for people we don't like after the fall of the CCCP.

An equally useless moon base? That's great! A very useful base on the moon!

- - - Updated - - -

This doesn't anger me. What does is that people give NASA a minuscule budget, yet complain when they get nothing done.

...And also that that looks nothing like the ISS.:rolleyes:

Yeah... and people say NASA gets 80% of the budget and wastes it all, and not enough is spent on wars -_-

I don't mind. My beloved America's an empire in decline, and short-sighted anti-intellectualism comes as a free bonus

...And also that that looks nothing like the ISS.:rolleyes:

Seems like a pretty trivial complaint at first...but just imagine the uproar if the cartoonist had screwed up one pixel of an Apple logo.