ASET Avionics Pack v 2.1 (for the modders who create IVA)

alexustas

I need beta testers to test and debug new props and cockpit layout. Powerful PCs, weak PCs, Linux, Apple, OpenGL, a minimum of mods, hundreds of mods, advanced players, beginners ...

And also, I would like very much to other IVA-builders took part in this test, it is very important to me to know your opinion, suggestions and comments about the major innovations in this update

Please PM me if you are interested

Edited by alexustas

• 1 month later...

I apologize for not writing a topic. I wanted to ask for your help about the mod BDynamics Mk22 Cockpits v1.1Author seems to have abandoned the mod, and the last update was made by another person. but something went wrong and there was such an unpleasant bug:

Spoiler

YgzUcJs.jpg

In the old version of mod, this bug was not. I tried to replace the files and found out that the reason is in the file BDMk22.dll, if i replace it with a file from the old version then this error disappears, but the monitor does not work. : ((( I dig deeper inside the source code and found that the files are almost identical, the difference is only in one line.

In the new version, this:

float radarAlt = Mathf.Clamp((float)(vessel.mainBody.GetAltitude(vessel.CoM) - vessel.terrainAltitude), 0, (float)vessel.altitude);

In the old, it is:

float radarAlt = Mathf.Clamp((float)(vessel.mainBody.GetAltitude(vessel.findWorldCenterOfMass())-vessel.terrainAltitude), 0, (float)vessel.altitude);

But as far as I understand it's just getting altitude for the monitor, this can not affect the visual display in any way? You are well versed in this topic, I wanted to ask you, maybe you will tell the direction, because I do not understand what the reason may be. (( I will be very grateful for any help. )

P.S. I apologize for the bad english, this is not my native language.

Edited by Di-Crash

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

How does the ILS works? on regular flight sims I usually setup the Nav radio with the  ILS frequency, verify the Morse code that correspond to the navigation chart and start descend...however by doing this, and start my final descend using RMI to locate the beacon and keep lined to the runway and HSI set with ILS... nothing happens don't see horizontal and vertical lines moving indicating about height and orientation, just get a "Nav" flag inside the HSI ... Any additional steps to perform this? I've been using flight sims for long time ago, wanted to try kerbal and I loved, although is not a flight sim like XPLANE and MS flight simulator series , but it gives you the opportunity to create your own planes and spaceships with a a little bit of reality and love it.

Please let me know if there are documentation about panels or a way to setup the ILS, Great job with "Kerbin_AEROCHARTS-25-nov-2017.pdf" AMAZING!!!

2 hours ago, coguar said:

How does the ILS works? on regular flight sims I usually setup the Nav radio with the  ILS frequency, verify the Morse code that correspond to the navigation chart and start descend...however by doing this, and start my final descend using RMI to locate the beacon and keep lined to the runway and HSI set with ILS..

ASET ILS works exactly as you describe it.  I can only assume that you did not specify the necessary course (CRS) for HSI

watch this video:

Ohh what a mistake!!! probably the Caravan or other  planes in xplane sim have some setting that auto ajust that, my apologizes such a rookie error, that being said thank you so much, I will give it a try again , this time setting the Runway course.

Happy new year and thanks!

--

To the infinity and beyond!!

• 2 weeks later...

My install of ASET puts up waypoints all over Kerbin for the VOR/DME points, is this a bug or intended? Including link to a screenshot. Just wondering because I find them annoying and they make it difficult to plot maneuver nodes. Is there anyway to keep this wonderful mod and get rid of these? Thanks in advance. 

https://imgur.com/g7YU5oP

14 hours ago, Aspen Space said:

My install of ASET puts up waypoints all over Kerbin for the VOR/DME points, is this a bug or intended? Including link to a screenshot. Just wondering because I find them annoying and they make it difficult to plot maneuver nodes. Is there anyway to keep this wonderful mod and get rid of these? Thanks in advance. 

https://imgur.com/g7YU5oP

Tore quite a few hairs out over this problem but finally managed to solve it!

The waypoints came from @MOARdV's Avionics Systems. I love the usefulness in the cockpits with VOR/DME receivers but I'm not sure if the way-points are actually intended to be shown on the map as they were in my install. Here's a link to an image of exactly where the file is if others run across this problem. 

https://imgur.com/OlbtQiE

1 hour ago, Aspen Space said:

The waypoints came from @MOARdV's Avionics Systems

MAS adds radio navigation beacons to KSP's custom waypoints list, which allows them to be selected using Waypoint manager (or using MAS).  So, yes, that's intended behavior.

I could add a configuration option to MAS to prevent adding waypoints - I don't play career or science, so waypoints don't do much when I play.

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, bonvin said:

Could we please get another mirror? Spacedock is down and has been down for three days now, so there's currently no way of actually downloading this mod. 

Not actually three days, even tho IsItDown says that... Ive been using it the past few days, right up to early this afternoon, mebbe...

Edited by Stone Blue

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Beetlecat said:

For some reason the forum search isn't working for me, so apologies for asking an already-answered question, but is there any interaction with a radio on/off switch and chatterer?

The push to talk switch works. I don't remember getting the transmit and receive level gauges to work.

Currently, the radio switches and chatterer ptt don't depend on one another. I guess I should make that a part of my mod too.

Edited by theonegalen

2 hours ago, theonegalen said:

The push to talk switch works. I don't remember getting the transmit and receive level gauges to work.

Currently, the radio switches and chatterer ptt don't depend on one another. I guess I should make that a part of my mod too.

That would be rather cool -- to be able to "silence" chatterer via IVA. And maybe just the voices, or other sounds, etc. :D

Not sure whether this should be for @alexustas or @MOARdV, maybe it takes both to fix this. The readout from the turn coordinator is wrong. It seems to be set up as a poor mans navball, with the aircraft being assigned to roll angle, and the ball being assigned to the heading and velocity-vector heading. In reality the ball Should act like a bubble level, and the aircraft should indicate the yaw rate, such that when it aligns with the marks it does a standard rate turn, I.E. 2 min. for 180 degrees. Some also have roll rate added to this readout for quicker response. The wikipedia article on this instrument is quite good I think.

Edited by neistridlar
Further testing showed the explanation for ball config was wrong.

2 hours ago, neistridlar said:

The readout from the turn coordinator is wrong

If it's a question of the ball and aircraft using the wrong data sources, then it's a configuration problem in the prop.  Considering the hundreds of props alexustas configured in these props packs, bugs aren't surprising.

If the bubble level is supposed to function as a level, it could be controlled with the roll variable (I think it's "ROLL" - it's been a couple of years since I worked on RPM IVAs).  The turn rate will be difficult - the yaw, pitch, and roll rates are all about the vessel's own axis, so none of them work for turn rate.

I am fairly sure RPM doesn't have a variable to track the change in heading over time, which is what it sounds like the turn coordinator measures.  So, in that case, the turn coordinator can't report the actual delta-heading, because that information isn't available (an RPM shortcoming).  It is something I can add to MAS if it's needed, but I am no longer adding features to RPM.

6 hours ago, MOARdV said:

If it's a question of the ball and aircraft using the wrong data sources, then it's a configuration problem in the prop.  Considering the hundreds of props alexustas configured in these props packs, bugs aren't surprising.

If the bubble level is supposed to function as a level, it could be controlled with the roll variable (I think it's "ROLL" - it's been a couple of years since I worked on RPM IVAs).  The turn rate will be difficult - the yaw, pitch, and roll rates are all about the vessel's own axis, so none of them work for turn rate.

I am fairly sure RPM doesn't have a variable to track the change in heading over time, which is what it sounds like the turn coordinator measures.  So, in that case, the turn coordinator can't report the actual delta-heading, because that information isn't available (an RPM shortcoming).  It is something I can add to MAS if it's needed, but I am no longer adding features to RPM.

Sounds like it might be just a config issue then. Assigning roll to the ball is not at all right. It works like a bubble level, that is when you bank say, 60 degrees, and pitch up and use the rudders to keep in a coordinated turn (usually slight rudder in the direction of the turn), that is the forces work out such that you are only pushed down into your seat (which is the proper way to fly), then the ball will be centered. But if you fly wings level, but input full rudder, then the ball would be pinned to one side. For a simplified model it could use the angle between the local Z axis, and the resultant force vector in the X/Z plane. In an ideal world that is what the ball would display. Though it is of course a mechanical device, so it does not behave perfectly. In a Zero-G environment the ball should give completely nonsensical readings, basically just floating around. If you have to add something to make this work, I would be happy to help you work out the math.

The turn rate that the instrument measures is the local yaw rate. Again because of the way the instrument works, but since you know approximately what the bank angle is going to be you can calibrate it to give a sufficiently accurate readout. If you were in orbit, with a constant heading, and a bank angle of 90 degrees, and started yawing, the turn indicator would read non zero, even though you are not changing the heading. Just configuring it for the vessels yaw rate would be quite adequate.

25 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

Sounds like it might be just a config issue then. Assigning roll to the ball is not at all right. It works like a bubble level, that is when you bank say, 60 degrees, and pitch up and use the rudders to keep in a coordinated turn (usually slight rudder in the direction of the turn), that is the forces work out such that you are only pushed down into your seat (which is the proper way to fly), then the ball will be centered. But if you fly wings level, but input full rudder, then the ball would be pinned to one side. For a simplified model it could use the angle between the local Z axis, and the resultant force vector in the X/Z plane. In an ideal world that is what the ball would display. Though it is of course a mechanical device, so it does not behave perfectly. In a Zero-G environment the ball should give completely nonsensical readings, basically just floating around. If you have to add something to make this work, I would be happy to help you work out the math.

The turn rate that the instrument measures is the local yaw rate. Again because of the way the instrument works, but since you know approximately what the bank angle is going to be you can calibrate it to give a sufficiently accurate readout. If you were in orbit, with a constant heading, and a bank angle of 90 degrees, and started yawing, the turn indicator would read non zero, even though you are not changing the heading. Just configuring it for the vessels yaw rate would be quite adequate.

Here's the current configuration:

// arrow rotation

MODULE
	{
		name = JSIVariableAnimator
		refreshRate = 1
		VARIABLESET
		{
			scale = -60,60
			variableName = ROLL 
			controlledTransform = PlaneMark
			localRotationStart = 0,-60,0
			localRotationEnd = 0,60,0
			maxRateChange = 1
		}
		VARIABLESET
		{
			scale = -50,50
			variableName = HORZVELOCITYRIGHT  
			controlledTransform = BallLoc
			localRotationStart = 0,12,0
			localRotationEnd = 0,-12,0
			maxRateChange = 1
		}

}	

What you're saying is that PlaneMark maybe should be ROLL multiplied by HORZVELOCITYRIGHT, perhaps, or a compound variable of that nature? Finding the plane of the velocity vector might be difficult for the ball. There is a SIDESLIP variable and also PITCHPROGRADE and YAWPROGRADE variables which report pitch and yaw relative to the prograde vector, in degrees. Would any of these help?

The RPM variables are located here: https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/wiki/Defined-variables

Once we get to MAS configs, there are variables such as fc.AccelRight(), fc.AccelSurfaceRight(), and fc.AccelUp() to consider.

https://github.com/MOARdV/AvionicsSystems/wiki/MASFlightComputerProxy3#speed-velocity-and-acceleration-category

Edited by theonegalen

17 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Here's the current configuration:

// arrow rotation

MODULE
	{
		refreshRate = 1
		VARIABLESET
		{
			scale = -60,60
			variableName = ROLL 
			maxRateChange = 1
		}
		VARIABLESET
		{
			scale = -50,50
			variableName = HORZVELOCITYRIGHT  
			maxRateChange = 1
		}

}	

What you're saying is that PlaneMark maybe should be ROLL multiplied by HORZVELOCITYRIGHT, perhaps, or a compound variable of that nature? Finding the plane of the velocity vector might be difficult for the ball. There is a SIDESLIP variable and also PITCHPROGRADE and YAWPROGRADE variables which report pitch and yaw relative to the prograde vector, in degrees. Would any of these help?

The RPM variables are located here: https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/wiki/Defined-variables

Once we get to MAS configs, there are variables such as fc.AccelRight(), fc.AccelSurfaceRight(), and fc.AccelUp() to consider.

https://github.com/MOARdV/AvionicsSystems/wiki/MASFlightComputerProxy3#speed-velocity-and-acceleration-category

Ok, i played around with it. This config gives a much closer to real life behaviour:

MODULE
	{
		refreshRate = 1
		VARIABLESET
		{
			scale = -8,8
			variableName = YAWRATE 
			maxRateChange = 1
		}
		VARIABLESET
		{
			scale = -3,3
			variableName = SIDESLIP  
			maxRateChange = 1
		}

}	

It is still far from perfect, as the ball is not centered while the aircraft is stationary on level ground, for instance, but in the air the response is largely as expected. I will have to look into the MAS stuff later. It seems that might have the stuff necessary for the ball to work properly. 

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

First of all. I am very sorry for giving very bad feedback recently.

I have very little free time I could spend on modding. But I do not plan to completely abandon my hobby and really hope that sooner or later I will be able to get back on my favorite hobby as before.

15 hours ago, Neil Kerman said:

How do you add new markers to the Jebbesen Aeronautical chart?

Charts are in fact an extremely cumbersome and complex document created in CorelDraw. So the best, and most likely the only way, will be if you provide me with complete information about new markers and I will add them to the document myself.

On 7/13/2019 at 1:23 AM, alexustas said:

First of all. I am very sorry for giving very bad feedback recently.

I have very little free time I could spend on modding. But I do not plan to completely abandon my hobby and really hope that sooner or later I will be able to get back on my favorite hobby as before.

Charts are in fact an extremely cumbersome and complex document created in CorelDraw. So the best, and most likely the only way, will be if you provide me with complete information about new markers and I will add them to the document myself.

I'd love to help with something along these lines when KerbinSide Remastered gets a fuller release. Navigating around Kerbin using radio sounds delightful. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.