ASET Avionics Pack v 2.1 (for the modders who create IVA)

alexustas

On 7/14/2019 at 9:13 AM, BaelRathLian said:

Love this mod / work.  Is it upto date with the current version of the game?  IVA is a lot more fun when the controls actually work.  

This mod is not version specific.  The mod(s) that make it do something are - RPM, last I checked, is still working in 1.7.3.  I know MAS works in 1.7.3, but there aren't a lot of IVAs around for it right now.

18 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

I'd love to help with something along these lines when KerbinSide Remastered gets a fuller release. Navigating around Kerbin using radio sounds delightful. :D

That'd be cool.  MAS supports radio NAV functionality (all thanks to alexustas' feedback and help when I was trying to understand it), but I don't do much air/space plane stuff, so I still haven't converted ASET props to work with MAS.  If KerbinSide Remastered has nav beacon locations, I'd love to add them to the MAS database.

On 7/16/2019 at 12:27 AM, MOARdV said:

If KerbinSide Remastered has nav beacon locations, I'd love to add them to the MAS database.

@Eskandare, @Ger_space, @alexustas

Wouldn't it be better to develop a universal data format for all of the aircraft navigation needs: runway coords, ILS positions, markers, beacons and so on? We have several mods for navigation now: NavUtilities, KerbinSide, MAS, ASET each having its own database of nav data. If we had some common standard to represent and externalize those data, the mods could work interchangably and without the need to import/convert/addapt/update. How cool it would be when KerbinSide adds a few runways they were naturally usable by NavUtilities and by every MAS-based cockpit, and ASET cockpits too. I have thoughts of creating a MM patch that forces ASET props to use configurable nav data instead of its inner hard-configured ones (now the idea is years old). The main question is the data standard.

Having that we could move further and introduce, for example, an ATC that universally works with every runway and navaid added by every mod.

Edited by Ser

3 hours ago, Ser said:

Wouldn't it be better to develop a universal data format for all of the aircraft navigation needs: runway coords, ILS positions, markers, beacons and so on?

I'd be fine with a universal data format.  Should we take this offline to another thread, or a GitHub issue somewhere, so we can work out each mod's requirements and come up with a satisfactory common format?

@Ser I agree that a universal data format would be amazing. I was trying to configure Kerbin Side Remastered: Airports airports for this mod (which I recompiled for use in KSP 1.4), which adds ATC. Because KSR:A has so many airports and I would have to manually copy all those values from a spreadsheet, I scrapped that idea. If in this situation a universal data format had been present (and somehow easily integrated into that mod), I would easily be able to fly in KSP with ATC. Furthermore, if that mod could use ILS data from NavUtils due to the universal data format, flying in KSP would be even more realistic. Then, one of the only problems would be the lack of airplanes that are realistic enough, but that is a topic for  another day.

Edited by Bottle Rocketeer 500

• 3 months later...

so, i have just made a T-6 Texan ii, and want to make a custom cockpit for it using the airplane plus fighter cockpit. the problem is i don't know how to edit it and customize cockpits. i don't know if i'm just a idiot or what, but i cannot find anything anywhere online on how to customize the cockpits. i have tried blender, and have yet to do so on unity, but.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, CassetteTape said:

Can anybody tell me what files do i put into gamedata? Do i drag ASET-Avionics into gamedata or do i put in the files that are in ASET-Avionics into gamedata, like modernpack, DL_CRTDisplay_1x1?

Uh.. No?
Just drag the whole GameData folder from the zip, to your main KSP folder... if on Windows, click "Yes" when the popup asks if you want to combine this folder with the existing GameData... Profit!

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2017 at 12:48 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Anyway, the real issue is Dropbox.  @alexustas it would be good if you could put this on Github or Spacedock.  I'd be happy to help if you need it. 

Did the source code for this mod ever get placed somewhere (e.g. github) where a downloader can access it?

(Perhaps it's been incorporated under the auspices/repository of some related mod?)

Maybe here: https://spacedock.info/mod/1213/ASET Avionics?  This looks like only what downloads in GameData...

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

Did the source code for this mod ever get placed somewhere (e.g. github) where a downloader can access it?

Unfortunately, i dont believe so :(
I have searched high & low many times to grab what I could of all of the ASET stuff... but have come up pretty empty. Their Github is absolutley bare.
@alexustas seems to be gone, and doesnt seem to be responding to PMs

5 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Unfortunately, i dont believe so :(
I have searched high & low many times to grab what I could of all of the ASET stuff... but have come up pretty empty. Their Github is absolutley bare.
@alexustas seems to be gone, and doesnt seem to be responding to PMs

Most part/model makers don't make the source for the models available.  Most of the Parts mods that I support don't have that, so it's hard to update.

Thank you for that confirmation.  I had assumed that models were in ASET Props and the code that powers the avionics (e.g. glide slope computation) were in ASET Avionics.  That may be wrong.

To explain my quest, the use case is that a client of Kerbal Konstructs Airport Exchange has requested new navaids for many of the airports posted there.

I found this, https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/116479-aset-avionics-pack-v-21-for-the-modders-who-create-iva/&do=findComment&comment=3008915, and was able to add an NDB.

However, I concur with Ser in opinions expressed earlier in this thread, that a more convenient and general (not RPM-specific) abstract/standard definition for navaids should be realized.  Regarding using RPM variables to define many multiples of navaid components: well, "life is too short".  Too error-prone.  Consider also, dynamic in-game definition of markers, routes and approaches.

MOARdV has kindly pointed me to the MAS method for defining such aids and I'll be investigating there.  Open to other ideas, particularly more general approaches.  But all FYI at this stage.  (And thanks also to @MOARdV.)

Edited by Hotel26

• 9 months later...
21 minutes ago, Distortion28 said:

For some reason the HUD in this pack suddenly stopped working. It deploys, but the screen doesn't update with the pitch of the aircraft and so-forth. Only for a brief moment when I go from external to internal views.

Sounds moar like either an issue with a specific IVA that uses it, or moar likely an issue with RPM or MAS.
Which IVA is the issue?
Are you using RPM or MAS? (or both)

On 1/22/2023 at 3:12 PM, Stone Blue said:

Sounds moar like either an issue with a specific IVA that uses it, or moar likely an issue with RPM or MAS.
Which IVA is the issue?
Are you using RPM or MAS? (or both)

I manually added the HUD to the DE_IVA extension to the MK 2 internal txt file. Although I have both RPM and MAS installed as per requirements.

Edited by Distortion28

• 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.