What the heck happened with Jool?

I try to aerobrake at Jool now, and it is essentially impossible. I set my periapsis at, say, 197,000 meters, and the ship just explodes when it gets down to that level. It's weird. It's like the atmosphere is at almost full density right at the top. Am I doing something wrong here? The lowest I can put my periapsis is about 198,000 meters, and at that level, the braking effect is nearly non-existent.

Edited by RocketBlam

I don't think you're doing anything wrong... But the new heat system is pretty naf if you ask me. I guess that's just the way it is now. No more aerocapture unless you pack totally OP heatshields. :(

There was a poll about this some time back... the options mostly boiled down to cheat or avoid.

Edited by steve_v

The atmosphere on planets other than Kerbin is a bit stuffed right now, especially Jool. It goes from zero to full destruction within metres I have heard there is a magical place around 198,500. Everyone sane uses Tylo and Laythe to brake.

Is this a 1.04 problem?

I did my first Jool Aerobrake a few days ago, with no problem. Ok, i had to reload 3 times till i got the right spot.

However, I'm still on 1.02. I guess, i will stay there :-)

I can safely aerobrake around Jool, it just takes a few quickloads to gauge the correct periapsis. Just make sure you aren't going too fast, otherwise you'll hit the atmosphere like it's brick, no matter how high your periapsis is (well, as long as it's under 200km).

Also, once I enter the atmosphere (such as I can), I can't time warp any more. It says my vehicle is under acceleration, even with no thrust, outside of the atmosphere.

quicksave and quickload will fix it. That happens between 200km and 1000km.

and long answer short, don't aerobrake in jool from interplanetary transfer in 1.0.4.

Jool's atmosphere has always suffered from being "sharp edged". It's because the top of the atmosphere is taken as a percentage of the surface pressure. Fine for Kerbin, Laythe, and Duna, but causes problems for Eve and Jool with their much higher surface pressures. It used to not matter when re-entry was harmless, but now it's destructive it really shows.

A 1.0.3 problem.

As for timewarp, you can only perform a phys-warp while in atmosphere (and not landed). I don't think that's any new issue.

The issue being described is one where once you have left the atmosphere you are still only able to physics warp until you get to 1000 Kilometres as opposed to being able to go on Rails warp once you are out of the atmosphere which ends at 200 kilometres...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.