Sharing stuff, CC-BY

Hi all, haven't been doing much KSP modding for a while, don't think I will be doing more in the foreseeable future. Still have assets from Transparent Pods and RetroFuture projects. I figured I'd share them here for everyone.

License is CC-BY.

TL;DR: Credit me if you redistribute without modifications. Otherwise you don't have to credit me. No other restrictions in use, you can repackage, redistribute, modify, for commercial or non-commercial purposes. New CC-BY applies to TransparentPod and RF Mods, previously released under CC-BY-NC-SA.

Everything is Unity 4.2.2; should work without issue in any newer versions of Unity.

CommandPods

Internal Props

2m Square Parts

Engines

Misc: Gears; Structural; 1.5m parts

Edited by nli2work

Hi nli2work.

First off I really love your work, and I still use your transparent pods, the timing of you releasing your assets was quite good as I was just in the middle of wanting a prop. So I'm trying to reuse one of your assets, namely EVAHandle.

I want to use it as an external door handle. But I am having some issue with the animation that I can't figure out.

Here is a video of the animation working in Unity as expected.

Here is a video of the animation not working quite so well in KSP. For some reason only half of the animation runs and I can't figure out why.

I then tried to import the fbx file from the unity package you provided into blender, and well, the animation seems fine in blender as well, except the transforms are out of wack. I don't know if that has something to do with it. Picture of the fbx imported into blender.

Any ideas? - Can you supply the original fbx file?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by JPLRepo

that's really weird... I don't know what might cause the FBX to blow up when imported to blender to be honest. The FBX were exported from 3dsmax, that may have something to do with it.

best suggestion I have is try recreating the animation in Unity instead of what came in the FBX. The pivots are in the correct places so no need to add extra gameobjects in Unity.

that's really weird... I don't know what might cause the FBX to blow up when imported to blender to be honest. The FBX were exported from 3dsmax, that may have something to do with it.

best suggestion I have is try recreating the animation in Unity instead of what came in the FBX. The pivots are in the correct places so no need to add extra gameobjects in Unity.

I didn't know you could create legacy animations in Unity any more besides downgrading Unity to version 4.2 or something like that.

EDIT: Success. D'OH!! I renamed the gameobject for the handle from EVAhandle to Doorhandle. So of course the animation wasn't finding it. I renamed it back and success. I am using Unity 4.6.4 (same as current KSP version) and the legacy animations are read-only. I don't think there is a way to edit them without downloading an older version of Unity. Unless someone knows of a way?

Video of animation working.

Edited by JPLRepo

Hi all, haven't been doing much KSP modding for a while, don't think I will be doing more in the foreseeable future.

Thats sad to hear. Your videos taught me alot. If any of you guys have watched his videos they are VERY good. But thanks for everything man and I will continue to follow your skills on youtube

Are we allowed to use the parts directly from the Retro Future Planes mod under CC-BY, or is it only for the unitypackages in this thread? Thanks again for making such awesome parts!

Yes, for sure. I should have specified that earlier. The Unitypackages are just the source files, using the parts falls under "unmodified". I think many of the parts need quite a bit of fiddling to get functional in 1.x.

I cant get the landing gears loaded into unity correctly. I am interested if the wheels roll or not. I guess ill just mimic the hierarchy and try it myself

If you mean the "missing Monobehaviour" on the root object, that's the KSP export script. I think it happens because the packages are exported from different projects. Should be fine if you reassign the PartTool script or remake the PartTool component.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry to revive this very old thread, but can someone please, either repackage or just re-upload the transparent pods? I need one of them for a replica ship I am working on and I have no clue how to use these source files. All the original download links for them are currently dead. If you just happen to have the old Transparent Pods 1.2.2 mod files I would really appreciate getting those.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.