Squadcast Summary 2015/07/24

Superfluous J

Lots of tasty tidbits this episode, and some pretty deft flying by Max. At least, after he got into space :D

Every 10 minutes I drop a time stamp, so if you can find a spot in the video more easily. Something in "quotes" means it was directly said, though I frequently don't bother with that. [brackets] are those rare times where the accent barrier keeps me from understanding something, and italics are descriptions of what Max is doing in the game, with asides and commentary by me where I feel the desire.

0:00

Upcoming relay system that Ted talked about (no info, just mentioning it)

Max was sick last week.

He's planning on a polar Minmus orbit in order to complete some survey contracts.

He's planning on bringing only a scientist, no pilot. "I think we can handle it"

Going in a different direction and depth from RemoteTech.

"A bunch of mods have great ideas but we don't fully agree with the entire design."

Bigger picture: Why are you doing it?

Back a little, they are updating to U5. So far proven to be not a small amount of work.

A lot of work, to get the game to be the same as it is now, but on U5.

But they also have the help of collaborators. Roverdude, Arsonide, who are helping add more stuff to the game.

They are super skilled, and squad has things they want for a long time but don't have the time to do them.

So, why not have the collaborators do the extra stuff while they work on U5?

His rocket flips as it becomes bottom heavy. He aborts the launch.

Been talking internally about antennae for a long time.

10:00

Q: If this is "step 1" does that mean that there are more steps? Specifically in 1.1?

A: "Possibly. Maybe."

Also have the advantage of U5 that will allow for more thigns than they could do before.

More things regarding to efficiency.

They have some numbers, however he will not share them because they want to get the U5 update into as many testers as they usually do, to get better numbers.

Optimistic, but they want hard numbers.

He launches the same rocket.

Q: Will system requirements stay the same?

A: "Absolutely." If it ran before U5, it'll run after U5.

The rocket flips. He decides to hire a pilot.

Q: Multiplayer?

A: "Actually, we're working [on?] Multiplayer now." Harvester has "partially transitioned to help with the multiplayer development."

Jesus has got the guts working.

He can't hire a pilot, as he has 5 Kerbonauts already. He terminates 2 flights to kill 2 of the Kerbals.

Then he notices (as he's about to terminate the 3rd flight) that he actually successfully got the ship into orbit 2 weeks ago.

Expect more development blogs from Ted.

Q: Any plans for pre-flight planning?

A: "We have had that idea rolling around in our heads forever. Being able to make something called a Launch Node."

"Very very very complex."

20:00

(Re: Launch Node) Maybe after U5 (which could help), but "right now it's looking really iffy."

He gets an encounter with Minmus.

Q: Will the new "AntennaRange Thing" going to be toggleable?

A: Once it's in playtesting, they will know what parameters to tweak in it. It depends on the playtesters.

He tweaks his encounter until it's equatorial and close, using a maneuver node. Then he explains that after he gets into Minmus' SOI he'll twist it Polar.

I know. I'm just describing what he's doing, not saying it's what you should do.

Q: Do Lagrange Points exist?

A: "They most certainly do not." While super cool as a concept, it will be hard on the processor. Which KSP already is. It will also make maintaining an orbit "really, really hard."

He gets to Minmus SOI, sets up a node and executes it to encounter the pole. It's not *that* expensive, 161m/s, but still :D

Max would love one day to be in a nursing home and watching the first man on Mars mention that he got into space because of Kerbal Space Program.

Q: Gamer's Edition?

A: "At this point it doesn't look like the Gamer's Edition is going to happen." Not enough fan interest. But they're okay with it.

Q: PS4, and Flying Tiger?

A: He's excited to try the PS4 port, and is happy to be working with Flying Tiger. He wants to play KSP with the PS4 controller. He likes doing business deals, talking to businessmen. Many don't but Max enjoys it.

30:00

He reviews the contract. One of them is "below 5400." The rest are Above.

Q: Is the UI going to change?

A: "That is our goal" (to stay the same). "Roughly the same."

He burns down to get under a waypoint that the contract says to be above.

He lucks out and is still above it when he does the crew report.

He also gets a 2nd contract completed at the same time.

Kasper(Vid?) points out that he didn't need to burn down, as the contracts were "Above."

He gets the 3rd one, and is left with the final, "Below" survey.

40:00

Hints that Squad has more games in the plans, in addition to KSP.

He goes for the final survey point. He's too high by almost 2km as he goes in...

...and he leaves the survey point at about 200m too high.

Q: More planets?

A: Currently no plans, but if performance gains from U5 occur it is something they'll look into. "We need better asset management before we can think of new planets."

Q: Are the creators of KSP making the PS4 version.

A: We are helping but the heavy work is being done by Flying Tiger.

He likes Flying Tiger because of their experience with Unity and because they're independent, like Squad.

He tries again to hit his survey point. He gets the survey done at 4700m. He's in orbit on the night side of Minmus.

He burns up and successfully avoids crashing into Minmus.

Discussing why he sent a Kerbal instead of a probe for this dangerous mission (other than, I presume, because the contract was for Crew Reports):

"Since we do not have currently - and who knows about the future - since we currently do not have a life support system."

He finds a contract for temp scans at Minmus, and has a thermometer on the ship. So he extends the mission.

Q: Roverdude's Life support mod?

A: Very sneaky question. Currently no life support plans. But who knows about the future.

50:00

Q: Are you a dev?

A: No I'm a producer. This is Harvester's thing. "100% his baby."

The ship goes way low to hit the contract, skims the surface, and is still 700m too high when he leaves the zone.

He nails an "Above" reading.

Right before the end he nails one of the below ones. He gets an orbit, and ends the stream.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Thanks for the transcript.

Also, nothing about 64bit in 1.1 even though that got asked a few times?

I'm trying to remember. He did mention 64 bit right in there with the talk about efficiency right after the 10:00 mark but it was more of an offhand comment than anything else. Something like "bla bla bla and 64 bit bla bla bla efficiency." I remember it, but at the time it was such an aside I didn't write it down. :/

He can't hire a pilot, as he has 5 Kerbonauts already. He terminates 2 flights to kill 2 of the Kerbals.

Then he notices (as he's about to terminate the 3rd flight) that he actually successfully got the ship into orbit 2 weeks ago.

Thank god he clarified he isn't a dev because that pained me physically to read.

Thanks as always for summarizing this, 5thHorseman. :)

"Since we do not have currently - and who knows about the future - since we currently do not have a life support system."

Please, please, please....I don't care if it's a dead simple system with a single life support resource that slowly drains, this is one of the core challenges of crewed spaceflight and deserves to be represented in the game. Plus there are people saying that uncrewed stuff is nerfed by the new telemetry requirements, this would be a counterbalance for crewed missions.

Please, please, please....I don't care if it's a dead simple system with a single life support resource that slowly drains, this is one of the core challenges of crewed spaceflight and deserves to be represented in the game. Plus there are people saying that uncrewed stuff is nerfed by the new telemetry requirements, this would be a counterbalance for crewed missions.

I agree, it could even easily be supported by a difficulty slider, Life Support Usage Rate: Controls how fast Kerbal Snacks get used, 0%-300% range.

With probes being nerfed, manned flight should have additional complications, too.

Your reasoning is sound and just.

I am in complete agreement with this.

So what happens to peoples cash when it inevitably isn't released?

From their FAQ page:

What happens if you don't get enough orders?

Then we pour one out, take a moment to mourn, and then get on to the next Gamer’s Edition. Your card will not be charged, and we’ll send you an email to confirm that.

Edit: NINJAS!

Thanks 5th!

I lol'd at Maxmaps response, when asked about RoverDude's LS mod. It wasn't anything funny, but the fact that he responded to the question. I will not be surprised to come back in a year, and see some version of LS in-game. (It may not even take a year, but I would not expect LS in v1.1.)

They do a lot of thinking about easier gameplay vs realism, coming down on the side of gameplay so often, that incorporating a new need for antennas surprised me. So I expect they will put a lot of thought into whether they should add LS, and how much detail.

Isn't EVA suit monoprop a limited form of LS? (by extension, all rocket fuel) It refills magically every time you board a capsule. LS and "realism" says refilling the suit should subtract from the capsule.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.