Finally got my Space station up...

MydKnight

I did it! HAHA! I finally finished my first space station. It's taken me ages, But I finally placed the final fuel module today. It's as ugly as sin, but it works. So there it sits, in it's polar orbit. I'm fairly positive it's to small to be of any use to inter-planetary missions. but at least now I know I can do it. need to refine the design,and try again.

WEzF7iB.png

Not bad, not bad.

Now throw an orange tank on it. ;)

I tried getting orange tanks on it, but I didn't want to do it in anything more than one flight. So after a few failed attempts at getting 4 orange tanks up to the station, I changed them to the smaller greys.

@maceemiller, I'm struggling to build stuff on the ground let alone in LKO.

In polar LKO it's pretty much useless for interplanetary missions. Unless that's the orbit to which you'll be launching your interplanetary stages, and it's very inefficient as you lose a good 200m/s of Kerbin rotation speed advantage plus most likely miss the exact inclination requiring expensive plane match. Leave it as a research station (it can do science over every Kerbin biome) but for fuel you should get another in equatorial orbit.

I tried getting orange tanks on it, but I didn't want to do it in anything more than one flight. So after a few failed attempts at getting 4 orange tanks up to the station, I changed them to the smaller greys.

@maceemiller, I'm struggling to build stuff on the ground let alone in LKO.

What I personally did when building my first space station, is that I brought an almost empty (not even 1/4) orange tanks so that its lighter. Every part I brougth up there afterwards, I had more fuel than needed. so every mission that went up there, I dumped most of the remaining fuel in them, only keeping enough to deorbit my final stage. It was full before I could even finish the space station! :P.

Later, I went up there and tried bringing a full one. I didn't modify my lifter to be able to get it up there. I saved the day by pumping the fuel in it into my main stage to get the DV I needed. that was using a cheap-ass lifter tho, I didn't want to spend too much money

Edited by Thunder_86

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.