Stock Super Compact Bearing made from fairings!

Hi fellow kerbonauts,

For the past few days I experimented upon various bearing designs for my upcoming Rail Gun 6's Revolver Type Cartridge.

After many trial and error tests, I have finally perfected the strongest, most compact and most efficient bearing ever made!

1dnmdaO.jpg

B3xT0fS.png

tgtLtoT.png

1. press space to undock

2. then press '[' or ']' to cycle to the bearing,

3. Control rotation by pressing the keys 'e' or 'q' to spin the bearing!

Craft file:https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8yt9it055weoqk/FB2.craft?dl=0

Subassembly:https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4vxg5yih7q02vc/Fairing%20Bearing.craft?dl=0

Edited by JZ6

How about an explanation of what we're looking at?

You're looking at the strongest, most compact and most efficient bearing ever made! It says it right in the post, man.

I'm giving this a try now. I shall report my results.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, its exactly as advertised. Its a spinning bearing from stock parts, and I have to say that it appears to be pretty badass.

1dnmdaO.jpg
Edited by klesh

Heh :P made some of those kind of bearings some time ago :) - they work well, but if you want to run them at high speeds, you'll need the weight to be balanced around the bearing for smoother operation (my most stable had the weight centered around the small wheels, no severe weight imbalance) :)

3qVzJyFl.jpg

Note, my versions were made for my animated turbofans, so they include reaction wheels inside :) (and for those, i've also toyed with single & multi sets of wheels ;))

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121800-Kerbal-Electric-animated-Turbofan-engines-New-Low-bypass-KT-8D-jet-engine-%21

Still, good job for designing your own version :) i know from experience it's time consuming to position those wheels :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

But stronger is better.

Yep originally I made one with only one set of wheels but even though it is more compact, if you put anything on the other end then the whole bearing will shift and wobble.

In the end I decided on three sets as the absolute minimum for a smooth and strong experience.

Of course you can add more sets of wheels to obtain an even studier one.

Heh :P made some of those kind of bearings some time ago :) - they work well, but if you want to run them at high speeds, you'll need the weight to be balanced around the bearing for smoother operation (my most stable had the weight centered around the small wheels, no severe weight imbalance) :)

http://i.imgur.com/3qVzJyFl.jpg

Note, my versions were made for my animated turbofans, so they include reaction wheels inside :) (and for those, i've also toyed with single & multi sets of wheels ;))

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121800-Kerbal-Electric-animated-Turbofan-engines-New-Low-bypass-KT-8D-jet-engine-%21

Still, good job for designing your own version :) i know from experience it's time consuming to position those wheels :)

yep I kinda get the idea from a ship that had your turbofans, I dissembled the whole engine and figured out ways to improve it.

Btw for wheel alignment if you look at the fairing from the side into where it splits, you can see the depth of the fairing it self, so all you have to do is offset the wheels so they are barely touching the inner ring of the fairings

- - - Updated - - -

You're looking at the strongest, most compact and most efficient bearing ever made! It says it right in the post, man.

I'm giving this a try now. I shall report my results.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, its exactly as advertised. Its a spinning bearing from stock parts, and I have to say that it appears to be pretty badass.

http://i.imgur.com/1dnmdaO.jpg

Thanks man glad you enjoy it! If there is anything I can improve please don't hesitate to ask! Currently I am adding turbofan capabilities to it so it spins automatically as soon as it detaches

Yep originally I made one with only one set of wheels but even though it is more compact, if you put anything on the other end then the whole bearing will shift and wobble.

In the end I decided on three sets as the absolute minimum for a smooth and strong experience.

Of course you can add more sets of wheels to obtain an even studier one.

yep I kinda get the idea from a ship that had your turbofans, I dissembled the whole engine and figured out ways to improve it.

Btw for wheel alignment if you look at the fairing from the side into where it splits, you can see the depth of the fairing it self, so all you have to do is offset the wheels so they are barely touching the inner ring of the fairings

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks man glad you enjoy it! If there is anything I can improve please don't hesitate to ask! Currently I am adding turbofan capabilities to it so it spins automatically as soon as it detaches

actually, the wheel physical collider don't match entirely the wheel's 3d model :P (plus, the fairings are still not 'round' - it's still a 3d model / 3d physical collider :) so having the wheels slightly retracted from the fairings can sometime improve the stability of the thing :)

if you want to test the durability of your bearings under stress, you can use a test rig similar to what i did to test my turbofans : starting from a standard fuel tank (you can suspend it with launch clamps), you add a series (10 to 12) round-8 toroidal fuel tank, a part onto which you can surface mount thing (used a probe core, because my turbofans did not have probe cores once the bearing was decoupled). onto this part, add 4 I-beams (with symmetry) and add vernors at the end of each i-beam. finally, add your bearing (+ whatever you attach to it :P) attached underneath this last part. once you decouple your bearing and make it turn, switch back to the test apparatus, and start giving RCS roll impulses in various directions :) the round-8's tanks very elastic points will allow you to give mean impulses to your bearing :)

OvfOhAxl.jpg

if that don't jam your bearing, not a lot of thing will be able to do it :P

Pretty neat, but raises two questions:

1) why doesn't stock have bearing parts

2) what would bearings have use for?

@xyphos free bearings can allow a lot of neat things :) (their main use is generally for helicopter rotors / aircraft props) - now, those free bearings made of fairings have the only flaw that they are two separate crafts once decoupled - so we can't use on rail time acceleration (only physical acceleration works - on rail time acceleration don't have physics kick in, so one part, being on a slightly different orbit than the other part - and they would move apart clipping through each other with on rail time acceleration) - a stock free bearing would allow us to keep 1 single craft instead of having two parts - which would allow us to easily create stock centrifuge space stations - and be able to use time acceleration with it.

however, more than bearings, we could really use small hinges in stock; as there can be a lot of articulated parts on a satellite (granted, they are generally only used once, to deploy antennas and solar panels) but it would allow us to 'pack' a big satellite (once deployed) inside a small fairing. (think something like the James Webb Space Telescope, where the hexagonal mirrors sections are deployed after the satellite is in space - because that huge thing would not be able to be packed inside Ariane V fairing without hinged parts :P)

Edited by sgt_flyer

I've seen these things used with a probe core to make articulated Jets for VTOL and Cargo doors etc. Plus the jet engines sgt_flyer used to make

actually, the wheel physical collider don't match entirely the wheel's 3d model :P (plus, the fairings are still not 'round' - it's still a 3d model / 3d physical collider :) so having the wheels slightly retracted from the fairings can sometime improve the stability of the thing :)

if you want to test the durability of your bearings under stress, you can use a test rig similar to what i did to test my turbofans : starting from a standard fuel tank (you can suspend it with launch clamps), you add a series (10 to 12) round-8 toroidal fuel tank, a part onto which you can surface mount thing (used a probe core, because my turbofans did not have probe cores once the bearing was decoupled). onto this part, add 4 I-beams (with symmetry) and add vernors at the end of each i-beam. finally, add your bearing (+ whatever you attach to it :P) attached underneath this last part. once you decouple your bearing and make it turn, switch back to the test apparatus, and start giving RCS roll impulses in various directions :) the round-8's tanks very elastic points will allow you to give mean impulses to your bearing :)

http://i.imgur.com/OvfOhAxl.jpg

if that don't jam your bearing, not a lot of thing will be able to do it :P

@xyphos free bearings can allow a lot of neat things :) (their main use is generally for helicopter rotors / aircraft props) - now, those free bearings made of fairings have the only flaw that they are two separate crafts once decoupled - so we can't use on rail time acceleration (only physical acceleration works - on rail time acceleration don't have physics kick in, so one part, being on a slightly different orbit than the other part - and they would move apart clipping through each other with on rail time acceleration) - a stock free bearing would allow us to keep 1 single craft instead of having two parts - which would allow us to easily create stock centrifuge space stations - and be able to use time acceleration with it.

however, more than bearings, we could really use small hinges in stock; as there can be a lot of articulated parts on a satellite (granted, they are generally only used once, to deploy antennas and solar panels) but it would allow us to 'pack' a big satellite (once deployed) inside a small fairing. (think something like the James Webb Space Telescope, where the hexagonal mirrors sections are deployed after the satellite is in space - because that huge thing would not be able to be packed inside Ariane V fairing without hinged parts :P)

Hey sarge I sort of found a workaround with the single craft two parts problem, basically i designed a contraption that docks a bearing after a set rotation distance, combine the two parts into one body temporarily

more here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129765-Prototype-Beast-Rail-Gun-Destroyers?p=2101894#post2101894

Are you serious? What do bearings have a use for? Why are you even asking? Think of something that rotates in real life. There is going to be a lot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.