[1.1.3] Orbital Decay v1.5.2 (17/07/2016) - Total Overhaul

Whitecat106

Since you said to let you know... version 1.0.9 does not seem to load in KSP 1.1 on Windows x64, and gives the following error in the logfile:

[ERR 18:40:17.269] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'OrbitalDecay': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'WhitecatIndustries.UserInterface' from assembly 'OrbitalDecay, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

With regard to @Maeyanie's post above (and apologies if you already know this), I've fixed this particular error for several mods in my personal experimentation; that error shows up when you compile against the wrong version of the .NET framework. If you recompile it against 3.5, it should then work fine.

-c

Leaving a comment to remind myself to come back and read through the past posts. I am also interested in using this in RSS/RO, as it would definitely add even more realism to Realism Overhaul. I know I'm guilty of parking things juuust 'above' the atmosphere at 150km for eternity.

Hello everyone,

Thanks @Cerebrate, rookie mistake on my part! Recompiled with 3.5 for 1.1.0.

As for 1.1.0 I have a pretty comprehensive list of fixes and additions and bugs, these are:

- Removed lag spikes (only present at scene load and scene destroy), converted everything to ConfigNode processing (no more saving and loading constantly)

- Implemented realistic decay rates (atmospheric drag and solar radiation pressure) 

- Implemented resource efficiency

- Fixed Area and Mass calculation issues

- Fixed UI colour and sizes

- UI Size change in Tracking station? - Why? - How? - When?

- Decay rate and decay times in UI vanished since 1.0.9.... Don't worry I'll fix this! 

- Added reliance on my new Solar Cycle Simulator plugin (SCS.dll) (packaged with 1.1.0)

- Implemented realistic active vessel decay

- Fixed stock active vessel decay

So at the moment I am just working on the bugs and the realistic vessel decay. As I have mentioned above the SCS plugin will be packaged with the Orbital Decay mod; this introduces simulation of the 11 year solar cycle which causes variations in Orbital Drag based on levels of solar activity (most prominently the Geomagnetic Index and F10.7 radio flux)

- More realism yay!

The SCS will also be released in its own thread in add on development, I have designed this as a framework for Solar Cycles, allowing other mods to be developed to take advantage of its features, such as Solar Flare effects, Geomagnetic Storms or Coronal Mass Ejections (the latter of which I hope to mod myself after 1.1.0 of this mod).

So expect a 1.1.0 release within the next week or so, depending on how these new bugs are resolved and on the accuracy of the SCS model. Hopefully I will also do some more balancing of the decay formulas, since even the realistic decay formula seems to be too fast. At the moment the equation dictates that the rate of decay is a factor of 10 or so out compared to the real life estimation that the ISS looses about 2km of Altitude each month (Equating to 4Km Semi Major Axis loss per 28 days).

In the meantime please do try and 'break' the plugin in your games as much as possible so I can fix anymore bugs!

Whitecat106 :)

Interesting mod, surprised I've missed it until now. Definitely one for my 1.1 list.

Looks like it should combine well with some of DMagic's long-term orbital science experiments that require you to stay in the same orbit for several hundred days :) 

Question, how is station keeping beeing calculated, will it only accept KSP engines with ksp propellant /fuel or will it accept any high engine at any isp with any propellant

Edited by FreeThinker

18 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Question, how is station keeping beeing calculated, will it only accept KSP engines with ksp propellant /fuel or will it accept any high engine at any isp with any propellant

At the moment the Station Keeping fuel can be chosen through the Settings menu in the Orbital Decay UI, you can choose any resource that has been loaded into KSP (So this mod has compatibility with the Community Resource Pack and any other resource). As for engines, the mod does not currently check for engines on a craft (only requiring the volume of the set resource), however I may include this as part of the next 1.1.0 update. (Since ISP would be pretty useful in calculating resource efficiency).

So at the moment any fuel based resource will work, engines and the efficiency calculations are in the works for 1.1.0.

As for the next update; I am still working towards implementing the SCS system (Having issues with ConfigNode parsing errors?) and working on the Resource Efficiency, (I will now also play around with requiring an engine on the vessel). So look out for an update by the end of the week!

I wonder if anyone has tried using this with persistent rotation yet or if that could be something added as an option to the mod.

I haven't done any testing so far but I figured those two might be incompatible since they both affect how stuff orbits.

11 hours ago, erbmur said:

Sorry to say but i think i have to be 'that guy' as well.

Are you currently running KSP 1.1? This may be an issue on my part here :(

11 hours ago, lude said:

I wonder if anyone has tried using this with persistent rotation yet or if that could be something added as an option to the mod.

I haven't done any testing so far but I figured those two might be incompatible since they both affect how stuff orbits.

This is compatible with persistent rotation! :)

Hello everyone,

Having some major issues with ConfigNodes at the moment and trying to merge my SCS plugin with the Decay Mod, hopefully this will be sorted out ASAP. As for KSP1.1 support, I can see some issues are popping up here that I had not expected, not to worry I think the only problems should be UI issues (Unity 5 broke things I guess..), but hopefully once everything on my list is finished I can compile with KSP 1.1 and see what the issues are.

My list so far: (High priority) (Low priority)

- Fix VesselData cfg file read/write issues

- Fix SCS merge issues

- Add eccentricity adjustments for SMA changes

- Adjust Realistic Active Vessel decay

- Add engine support (Maybe in 1.2.0)

- Tweak new realistic decay prediction model

- KSP 1.1 changes

So at the moment quite afew things are going on, I would like to add at this stage that very little will change for the Stock game, this next update is solely focused on RSS compatibility, 1.2.0 will focus on stock (linear) decay management.

As for gameplay at the moment, well it works, the only issues are under the hood right now, I might consider releasing a intermediate version on the old development thread for this for anyone wishing to play around abit. Satellite management is now rather challenging.

- Heavier smaller satellites will remain in orbit for the longest time across altitudes.

- Decay rates are so realistic now (with the calculated F10.7 flux and Geomagnetic Indexies) that spaceflight is challenging.

- Light satellites (around 100kg) below 400km have lifetimes of just afew days, where ISS style structures could last for up to 400 days in orbit.

- And finally... Try keeping Skylab in orbit whilst developing the Space Shuttle in time yourselves now!

Of course I must also manage my other mods (Boat Navigation and Historic Missions) to make sure these are ready for KSP 1.1 too so I am pretty busy at the moment! Patience is a virtue and if anyone is willing to help me set up a github repo for this (to aid me in getting some community help and feedback) it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your work on this mod. Can't water to play it on 1.1

In combination with Kerbal Construction Time you really have to plan ahead or you'll get in real troubles keeping you stuff in Orbit with no ship to boost them.

39 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

I take it the SCS will be disabled if RSS is not detected?

Since both Decay Formulas will be present in 1.1.0, and since these are toggleable by the user, the SCS will be included but will only be used if the Realistic Decay setting is enabled (but by default it will not be if RSS is not detected).

Having some really big issues with ConfigNodes now, getting pretty annoyed. The issue seems to be from RSS, the game seems to load the initial menu transition to the Space Center twice rather than just once, this causes confignode changes to be deleted and I cannot find a workaround.... if anyone is good with confignodes and .cfg files please do get in touch and hopefully this release can be sped up! Sorry for the delays everyone :(

4 hours ago, Fyrem said:

perhaps if we keep asking, someone will notice.

At the moment the Mod is not compatible with KSP 1.1, I am working towards fixing the UI now, everything else has been updated so version 1.1.0 for KSP 1.1 could be released this evening or tomorrow.

I apologize for stating that this mod was compatible with KSP 1.1, I had not even realised the official 1.1 was released until yesterday! Not to worry the next version will be 1.1 compatible, just getting my head around this new UI stuff now.

16 hours ago, JediRangerkendor said:

For some reason, when i play this, i eventually get attacked by the Kraken after a couple of turns. Is there any mods this cant be used with? 

Interesting, do you have an example of the debug log (Alt f12) when this occurs? Which version of the mod were you using? Which other mods do you have installed?

I am working on 1.1.0 now, just tweaking some UI things and fixing some more little issues that have popped up with Unity 5, however I may wait until RSS is updated to KSP 1.1 before I release, just so I can check the realistic formulas as well as the stock model.

45 minutes ago, sidfu said:

dont think RSS will be updated till nexxt week as right now nathankelll dont have time to update real fuels yet

Ahh, in that case I will release regardless, I will adjust some settings on the plugin so that realistic decay is only enabled if RSS is installed, (removing the UI option). But since realistic decay in the stock game is pointless (with the mass of kerbin being so low, various calculations yield results several powers of ten smaller than in real life, making decay rates unrealistic anyway!).

well any decay is good thou. only reason i didnt use rss before is could never fit in the mods i wanted at same time but now we ccan fit alot.

well mostly what probaly hold up RSS is mods that need wheels and ui updates.

the biggest thing holding up RSS is that kosperuis has a major bug in 1.1 it works but cant remember what the bug did but it was game breaking thou.

@sidfuRSS works fine with Kopernicus 1.0.2, even without it's binaries (and recompliling it for KSP 1.1 is not difficult). But you probably meant that the initial (1.0) Kopernicus release had bugs and that's true...

Still, if @Whitecat106wants to provide an early release that would be not a problem. It may give it in fact a chance for testing before any official release of RSS.