[1.1.3] Orbital Decay v1.5.2 (17/07/2016) - Total Overhaul

Whitecat106

4 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@sidfuRSS works fine with Kopernicus 1.0.2, even without it's binaries (and recompliling it for KSP 1.1 is not difficult). But you probably meant that the initial (1.0) Kopernicus release had bugs and that's true...

Still, if @Whitecat106wants to provide an early release that would be not a problem. It may give it in fact a chance for testing before any official release of RSS.

That is a good idea,

I have already released 1.0.9.5 on SpacePort (check through the downloads as it is not set as the default) which contains some of the 1.1.0 features but is compiled against KSP 1.0.5 (At the request of @Svm420).

I will release 1.1.0 as soon as I can fix some irritating UI bugs, (the toolbar button copies itself and will not disappear between scenes!) I also want to get the Realistic Active Decay working and a new logo before I update.

Hello everyone,

I have just released 1.1.0, this version contains realistic decay (RSS compatible), KSP 1.1 support, the Solar Cycle Simulator plugin and alot more. I will be releasing 1.2.0 in the near future which will add realistic active decay and new resource/area/engine requirements! Until then I will be able to patch any issues that you can find!

Enjoy,

Whitecat106 :)

Love the mod Whitecat, been looking forward to this for a while. Gave it some testing today and found a few things:

1. Time warping in the tracking station simulates the orbital decay as expected, but the orbit information doesn't update. You have to leave the tracking station and come back before it updates to the new apoapsis / periapsis.

2. I launched a vessel into a 260,000m circular orbit, went to tracking station and the orbit had immediately changed to 160,000m. Interestingly all the fairings / debris from the launch remained in the original 260,000m orbit. (not 100% sure it was caused by this mod however, but hasn't been happening before installing this mod).

3. Put a small probe in orbit with plenty of Xenon gas / electrical charge / solar panels to test the station keeping feature. Unfortunately the mod didn't recognize any fuel on board the craft, so the station keeping wouldn't activate. (haven't yet played around with other fuels for this one).

9 hours ago, Qwarkk said:

Love the mod Whitecat, been looking forward to this for a while. Gave it some testing today and found a few things:

1. Time warping in the tracking station simulates the orbital decay as expected, but the orbit information doesn't update. You have to leave the tracking station and come back before it updates to the new apoapsis / periapsis.

2. I launched a vessel into a 260,000m circular orbit, went to tracking station and the orbit had immediately changed to 160,000m. Interestingly all the fairings / debris from the launch remained in the original 260,000m orbit. (not 100% sure it was caused by this mod however, but hasn't been happening before installing this mod).

3. Put a small probe in orbit with plenty of Xenon gas / electrical charge / solar panels to test the station keeping feature. Unfortunately the mod didn't recognize any fuel on board the craft, so the station keeping wouldn't activate. (haven't yet played around with other fuels for this one).

Hello there thanks for that :) 

Okay 1. This is a preventative measure for 32 bit games, since this updating causes some small lag, although with 64 bit this is pretty much gone. However if you go onto the Ui, in the settings tab you can select the update planetarium tracking option and voila your orbits will update and continue updating. 

2. This is more serious, are you running with Rss or stock? I thought I had removed these kind of bugs before but obviously not, I will work on this today.

3. Currently the mod is limited to using one fuel at a time for every vessel (selectable from the settings tab in the Ui) to Stationkeep, clunky I know but I will sort this out for the next update. Best thing to do: go to the spacecetre, select Xenon in the settings menu, then switch to your vessel and you should now be able to station keep!

1.2.0 will be a fixing release to address the issues above and anymore that I can find - loads at the moment... It's a clunky system :( 

Whitecat106 

6 minutes ago, Whitecat106 said:

2. This is more serious, are you running with Rss or stock? I thought I had removed these kind of bugs before but obviously not, I will work on this today.

I'm running with stock at the moment, but with a heavily modded save. If I find time I'll do some further testing for this bug.

9 minutes ago, Whitecat106 said:

3. Currently the mod is limited to using one fuel at a time for every vessel (selectable from the settings tab in the Ui) to Stationkeep, clunky I know but I will sort this out for the next update. Best thing to do: go to the spacecetre, select Xenon in the settings menu, then switch to your vessel and you should now be able to station keep!

I did try setting Xenon as the station keeping resource in the settings menu and switching to the vessel, but had no luck. I'll have another look tonight to double check that's not just me being a spanner.

im having big issues with this mod.When i launch a ship the screen goes black but portraits and the like stay needless to say makes the game unplayable remove orbital decay it all works as it should.

Screenshot off mods BpoTqbj.jpg

logs https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4AAEEDF5B5058C6A!7951&authkey=!AJ4Cnk5qEKaknZg&ithint=file%2ctxt

@Whitecat106some more feedback:

• As @Qwarkkmentioned, it not possible to set a Station Keeping resource, even if the craft itself includes it and even after re - selecting it. The propellant selection, as noted by the messages, is recognized though.
  • The above notification message does not occur when selecting a propellant while in flight view (example: setting the option right after a successful launch into a stable orbit). Although, as i understand, the propellant selection is meant to be done from the Space Center or the Tracking Station. Still, it would be nice to have that while in flight.
  • Any debris on a sub - orbital trajectory are deleted if they get unloaded (outside of the physics range). Suggestion: a check for the vessel situation before removal.
  • I got a lot of NullRef exceptions, to the point that i got 1 CTD and one runtime exception (half-CTD). Removing temporarily Orbital Decay stopped it. Logs and save file are provided at the end of the post.

Still, a must-have mod :D!

Log file

Save file

Tested on a Windows 7 x64 installation with KSP 1.1.1230 (64 bit runtime) and the following mods installed:

• FAR [0.15.6.1]
  • Kopernicus [1.0.2]
  • ModularFlightIntegrator [1.1.3.0]
  • Real Scale Boosters [0.12.3]
  • Real Solar System [11.0.0]
  • RSS Textures [10.4]
  • RSS Time Formatter [1.0.1.0]
Edited by Phineas Freak
Removed log and save file links

Hello everyone, 

I have temporarily removed the download link due to the errors above, I will be uploading the source onto github this afternoon for a full rebuild of the code to iron out all these issues, hopefully if anyone is willing to pitch in and add ammendments to the code we can work as a team to repair this mod!

Thank you to everyone who has posted log files from here I hope to build the mod up again from scratch across the next few days. I know this a pretty hasty choice but even I am getting confused at my own code so it's time for a fresh build! 

1 minute ago, Cheesecake said:

@BrutalRIP

I have exactly the same issue.

@Whitecat106

I'm playing in stock and i placed a Sat in a ~250x250km Orbit. Orbital Decay said that the Decay is ~80 Years. I set the multiplier to 10 and the Decay is 27 Years. Isn't this a little bit too much?

The first issue is due to bugs in the code, (working on it). The second is due to the size and mass of your satellite; a heavier larger satellite would increase the rate of decay.

I have removed the download and will begin working on a new version within the hour. Should only take a few days. I will keep my progress updated in a github repo once it is set up if anyone wants to help out will pull requests etc!

Whitecat106 

19 minutes ago, Whitecat106 said:

Thank you to everyone who has posted log files

No problem. Thanks for making this available to us all,Wish i could help out but my modding skills are non existent:blush:

Hello everyone,

As you know the SpaceDock link has been removed in order to fix some major issues with the mod.

This is the Github link for the project and I would be very grateful to anyone who submits pull requests to the repository or who would like to add any thing!

Orbital Decay Github

Once the mod is in an operational condition I shall release a new and hopefully working version!

Thanks for your patience,

Issue Tracker: 

The following issues have been resolved in x64 / x86 / Both :

- Sub Orbital Debris Deletion

- On Launch Black Screen

- Station Keeping Functionality (Menus and Propellant Selection)

- Active vessel orbit setting (no more jumps from 250km to an early point in the orbit)

The following issues are still present in x64 / x86 / Both :

- On Launch Black Screen

- Multiple resource switching

Edited by Whitecat106

9 hours ago, BrutalRIP said:

you got it marked as x32 i was on x64 when it happened to me

Ahh corrected that now, but I do have a question about this one, could you look in your version, before deletion, about the WhitecatIndustries/orbital decay/PluginData/VesselData.cfg?

- I belive this file causes the black screens if it's information is accidentally deleted by the plugin, and the file is blank. I have been unable to replicate this since I think I have already fixed the issue with some read/write checks. 

As for everything else, I made alot of progress yesterday, fixing everything but the blackscreen bug. Still to do I have:

- Ensure the blackscreen 'locked viewing vector at 0' bug is gone

- Fix eccentricity changes 

- Add realistic active vessel decay

- Fix vessel area calculations

- Add multiple concurrent fuel support and possibly engine requirements. 

Since this is a fix release I will prioritise the first, second and fourth items and leave the rest for the next version. 

Thanks for your patience everyone and I hope to release a new fixed version within the next few days! 

what is the 'gravitational' gradient? I mean, the effect would be stronger the closer to the body?

Is there a formula I can use to to find out what minimum orbits i need to have for fuel saving orbits?

I assume that at KEO stat orbit the gravitational pull from orbital decay is rather low? (as well as deflection by dust and stuff)

1 hour ago, lude said:

what is the 'gravitational' gradient? I mean, the effect would be stronger the closer to the body?

Is there a formula I can use to to find out what minimum orbits i need to have for fuel saving orbits?

I assume that at KEO stat orbit the gravitational pull from orbital decay is rather low? (as well as deflection by dust and stuff)

At the moment this mod is based on atmospheric and Poynting–Robertson drag; the former acting on vessels in a low to medium orbit <1000 Km around atmospheric bodies bases on the tenuous nature of the outer atmosphere and the later acting broadly across all orbits based on the distance to the sun among other factors. 

Actual gravitational perturbation has purposefully been ignored for compatibility of this mod with the future in development Principia mod by @eggrobin,  as for equations I shall be adding a link to my spreadsheet which contains graphs and methods of orbit calculations.

Of course as it stands no calculations are made 'realistically' from engine isp and fuel efficiency, this is due to limitation with background vessel processing; issues I hope to resolve in 1.3.0, the release following the bugfix 1.2.0, with the addition of Protovessel resource management and engine dependency. 

Hello everyone,

I have released the next update, this fixes all of the bugs addressed here apart from the limitation of switching and using multiple station keeping resources between vessels. I have not been able to replicate the black screen bug after fixing things so hopefully this is gone too! Any other problems let me know!

Enjoy,

30 minutes ago, Whitecat106 said:

Hello everyone,

I have released the next update, this fixes all of the bugs addressed here apart from the limitation of switching and using multiple station keeping resources between vessels. I have not been able to replicate the black screen bug after fixing things so hopefully this is gone too! Any other problems let me know!

Enjoy,

you appear to have packed historical missions instead of orbital decay inside the .zip on Spacedock

EDIT: historical missions zip is fine though

Edited by BrutalRIP

5 minutes ago, BrutalRIP said:

you appear to have packed historical missions instead of orbital decay inside the .zip on Spacedock

EDIT: historical missions zip is fine though

Whoops! Fixed now!

Edit:

Getting a 404 at the moment, SpaceDock seems abit slow lately!

Edited by Whitecat106

30 minutes ago, Whitecat106 said:

Getting a 404 at the moment, SpaceDock seems abit slow lately!

Hmmm... Seems just to be a few of the latest New/Updated mods on SD... ie just this one, Tweakscale & MKS...

I tried everything listed BEFORE Orbital Decay and they all work...

Edited by Stone Blue

Hello everyone,

Finally discovered that null reference and black screen cause, it would appear that until vessels are switched to the game tries to calculate an area that doesnt exist pretty much crashing everything. Will fix in the next few minutes hopefully and update to 1.2.1! Sorry about this again :(

Whitecat106

1 minute ago, Whitecat106 said:

Hello everyone,

Finally discovered that null reference and black screen cause, it would appear that until vessels are switched to the game tries to calculate an area that doesnt exist pretty much crashing everything. Will fix in the next few minutes hopefully and update to 1.2.1! Sorry about this again :(

Whitecat106

No apology necessary!  You are doing great things for this community with this mod.  An essential mod for me as well as others.  Keep up the great work!