[1.1.3] Orbital Decay v1.5.2 (17/07/2016) - Total Overhaul

Whitecat106

This is a brilliant idea for a mod, but I'm having a couple of issues with the current version.

1) The Station-Keeping window doesn't appear to update when a craft is re-fueled. For example, I had a space station using monopropellant for station-keeping, I added more monopropellant to the station (via docking extra tanks and by resource transfer) and in both cases the station-keeping report for that space station still stated the same amount of time until the space station ran out of station-keeping resource.

2) Physical time warp is acting just like normal high-speed time warp, even in situations where it normally wouldn't work. If the craft is throttled up it cuts the throttle and the craft goes onto rails even in atmosphere. 

I am running a number of other mods, so there may be a clash going on with one of them. I will let you know if I find anything once I get the chance to investigate.

11 hours ago, ThatOneBritishGuy... said:

I hate to be the one to deliver this news, but the black screen bug has not been fixed, and despite the zip file name, the release notes still list the version as 1.2.0 on the space dock download.

I did not update the change log in the release but it should be fixed, unless there is a mod incompatibility, could I get another ksp log and a mod list please? Sorry about this one, I just cant replicate it what so ever :(

4 hours ago, Guest83 said:

Love the idea, my only concern would be performance. Is there a noticable impact once you have dozens of satellites all around the system being simulated?

Thanks, performance is maintained by having the option to turn of real time (planetarium) tracking (updating the orbits) so the orbits of satellites would only update on scene changes; this causes little to no apparent lag.

14 hours ago, Julexus Quandem said:

This is a brilliant idea for a mod, but I'm having a couple of issues with the current version.

1) The Station-Keeping window doesn't appear to update when a craft is re-fueled. For example, I had a space station using monopropellant for station-keeping, I added more monopropellant to the station (via docking extra tanks and by resource transfer) and in both cases the station-keeping report for that space station still stated the same amount of time until the space station ran out of station-keeping resource.

2) Physical time warp is acting just like normal high-speed time warp, even in situations where it normally wouldn't work. If the craft is throttled up it cuts the throttle and the craft goes onto rails even in atmosphere. 

I am running a number of other mods, so there may be a clash going on with one of them. I will let you know if I find anything once I get the chance to investigate.

Thanks,

Issue 1: I had not considered refuelling! Silly me, I will add this to the list of things to check for for 1.3.0

Issue 2: This is a bug I have missed; but I can see why it happens, I will adjust the code accordingly for the next update!

- Edit - (14:25)

- I have fixed both the above issues (pretty quick solutions) the fuel levels will now update on any vessel action (docking, undocking, breaking etc)

- Nope you're right that black screen is still there, working on it now. Nevermind about the logs @ThatOneBritishGuy... , It appears randomly after the VAB, doing some experiments now to try and track it down, ive had this before with other mods of mine, its to do with orbit updating during that certain transition. 

Edited by Whitecat106

Sorry, I have no log in the moment but I agree ThatOneBritishGuy...! The Blackscreen isn't fixed. Sometimes it happened again. I have the newest Version of OD, KSP 1.1.2 64bit.

Just now, Cheesecake said:

Sorry, I have no log in the moment but I agree ThatOneBritishGuy...! The Blackscreen isn't fixed. Sometimes it happened again. I have the newest Version of OD, KSP 1.1.2 64bit.

This error has always popped up eventually throughout any of my mods that use orbit drivers to alter things, but it has no regularity to it, I cannot replicate it at will what so ever it just seems to happen on launch every now and again. I will keep digging through the code and the web to see if there is anything I can do.

Has this every happened regularly in the new version on or just randomly? Has it also happened at any other scene?

Don't worry about the log, it is of little use only showing the lovely and descriptive unity issue of 'Viewing vector is 0' :(

Thanks though!

40 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

Just randomly and only at the LaunchPad.

I have been experimenting and I still cannot trigger it, I think it might be because of Planetarium.UniversalTime() not updating correctly when the Start() subroutine is called by Unity, - why this causes any issues I dont know but I have changed everything to HighLogic.CurrentGame.UniversalTime, hopefully this will fix the issue (in 1.3.0).

The web contains little on the cause of this and just many reports of it, seems to be a unity issue with some KSP functions. I will launch and revert to VAB 50 times to try and trigger this, if it doesnt not trigger I will assume things are back to normal.

36 minutes ago, DrRansom said:

Would it be possible to release the station-keeping mod without the atmospheric decay? This would help prevent low level drift from imprecisely placed orbits...

I was planning on releasing a Remote Tech position fixer (practically the same thing) for keeping satellite networks in exactly the same position to remove the floating point errors that pop up with KSP, once I release 1.3.0 of this mod I will look into it!

5 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Just randomly and only at the LaunchPad.

Happens on load into flight scene for me. I'm using KK and 64x, so that could potentially be amplifying the effect, but I've been unable to successfully launch even once with the mod installed.

Edited by ThatOneBritishGuy...

1 hour ago, ThatOneBritishGuy... said:

Happens on runway for me. I'm using KK though, so that could potentially be amplifying the effect. I've been unable to successfully launch even once with the mod installed.

Hmm maybe a KK issue? Im not sure, but I will investigate.

Here is a tester link to 1.3.0, this is a pre release missing some more features, but if you could see if you're having the same issue @ThatOneBritishGuy... that would be a great help since your issue is the most regular (I have only had this blackscreen happen about 3 times ever).

Github

Whitecat106

Edit: 21:47

Any luck? :)

Edited by Whitecat106

3 hours ago, Whitecat106 said:

I am just adding this in case it is helpful finding the problem, I have had the same crash issue and have never used KK.

4 hours ago, Whitecat106 said:

Here is a tester link to 1.3.0, this is a pre release missing some more features, but if you could see if you're having the same issue @ThatOneBritishGuy... that would be a great help since your issue is the most regular (I have only had this blackscreen happen about 3 times ever).

Github

Whitecat106

Edit: 21:47

Any luck? :)

With the download you posted, the black screen no longer occurs at all.

6 hours ago, Whitecat106 said:

I was planning on releasing a Remote Tech position fixer (practically the same thing) for keeping satellite networks in exactly the same position to remove the floating point errors that pop up with KSP, once I release 1.3.0 of this mod I will look into it!

That's going to be very helpful. Thanks.

Though I do like the idea of paying a RCS penalty for station keeping.

10 hours ago, ThatOneBritishGuy... said:

With the download you posted, the black screen no longer occurs at all.

Woo! I will mention this issue in the development forum, looks like Planetarium time can never be trusted anymore! @Bleddyn try the download from the GitHub link I posted above, this should resolve the blackscreen bug.

Just afew more things left to do for 1.3.0, trying to nail down this eccentricity problem; an eccentric orbit will circularize due to drag being greatest at its perihelion... but this is difficult to calculate - who knew ellipses where such a pain?

Hello everyone,

I have just released 1.3.0, in this version I have: 

-Added engine requirements

-Added UI features

-Finally fixed blackscreen

-Fixed many other bugs

-Added new resource update triggers

For 1.4.0 I hope to re add Active decay and add eccentricity changes!

Enjoy,

Whitecat106

1 minute ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Whitecat106congratulations for the new release! Testing it now.

Just a tiny request for the next version: if you hide the GUI via Alt+F2 the manager window remains visible. It would be nice if it could be hidden.

Thanks,

Good idea! Added to the list, if I need to patch 1.3.0 this will be included! :)

The latest version 1.3.0 seems to crash the game when I add parts in the VAB. Right clicking becomes impossible and the game freezes shortly after. Log gets filled with:

[EXC 00:30:24.446] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    System.Guid.BaseToString (Boolean h, Boolean p, Boolean b)
    System.Guid.ToString ()
    WhitecatIndustries.VesselData.UpdateActiveVesselData (.Vessel vessel)
    WhitecatIndustries.DecayManager.UpdateActiveVesselInformationPart (.Part part)
    EventData`1[Part].Fire (.Part data)
    UIPartActionWindow.CreatePartList (Boolean clearFirst)
    UIPartActionWindow.Setup (.Part part, DisplayType type, UI_Scene scene)
    UIPartActionController.CreatePartUI (.Part part, DisplayType type, UI_Scene scene)
    UIPartActionController.SelectPart (.Part part, Boolean allowMultiple)
    UIPartActionController.HandleMouseClick (UnityEngine.Camera cam, Boolean allowMultiple)
    UIPartActionController+<MouseClickCoroutine>c__IteratorBB.MoveNext ()

1 hour ago, karamazovnew said:

The latest version 1.3.0 seems to crash the game when I add parts in the VAB. Right clicking becomes impossible and the game freezes shortly after. Log gets filled with:

[EXC 00:30:24.446] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    System.Guid.BaseToString (Boolean h, Boolean p, Boolean b)
    System.Guid.ToString ()
    WhitecatIndustries.VesselData.UpdateActiveVesselData (.Vessel vessel)
    WhitecatIndustries.DecayManager.UpdateActiveVesselInformationPart (.Part part)
    EventData`1[Part].Fire (.Part data)
    UIPartActionWindow.CreatePartList (Boolean clearFirst)
    UIPartActionWindow.Setup (.Part part, DisplayType type, UI_Scene scene)
    UIPartActionController.CreatePartUI (.Part part, DisplayType type, UI_Scene scene)
    UIPartActionController.SelectPart (.Part part, Boolean allowMultiple)
    UIPartActionController.HandleMouseClick (UnityEngine.Camera cam, Boolean allowMultiple)
    UIPartActionController+<MouseClickCoroutine>c__IteratorBB.MoveNext ()

Interesting, working on a fix now!

Fixed this one now @karamazovnew, download the latest version and it should be gone.

Edit:

Accidentally included an unstable eccentricity equation in 1.3.1, please make sure you install 1.3.2 from the SpaceDock! Sorry :confused:

Edit 00:16

Anyone else noticing lag?

If anyone has any more bugs or issues please feel free to add an issue to the Github here

Edited by Whitecat106

On 5/3/2016 at 4:27 AM, Whitecat106 said:

@Bleddyn try the download from the GitHub link I posted above, this should resolve the blackscreen bug.

Sorry I missed this, I have had a busy couple days. I will check out the latest version now. Thank you for your efforts on the mod!

*Edit: I played for about 2.5 hrs last night without one instance of blackscreen. Good stuff and thanks!

Edited by Bleddyn

Hello everyone,

Just working on a few more things for the 1.4.0 release, trying to nail down this eccentricity problem again, I am also waiting to see if any more issues pop up that need to be addressed.

For 1.5.0 I am hoping to include more realistic perturbations for objects orbiting non atmospheric bodies. This has already been partially implemented in 1.1.0 with Solar Radiation Pressure drag, but this is only a small component of real lunar (and beyond) perturbation. As an example, Apollo-17 prior to leaving Lunar orbit, deployed a small satellite to measure gravitational changes in the lunar surface and subsequent perturbations to orbiting satellite, this mission, intended to last many months, lasted just afew weeks before the orbit of the satellite destabilized and it crashed into the surface of the moon. This prompted research into Gravity Anomalies and Mascons (Mass Concentrations); although gravitational fields are assumed to be regular in KSP, in reality gravity is pretty variable. On Earth, the effect to satellites is negligible since: A) the satellites are forced to orbit much higher (above 140km) and B) gravitational variation is relatively low.

On the moon however, gravity can be disturbed by Mascons by up to 0.00045 of a G-Unit. This seemingly small change effects the local gravity of the moon at a position by up to 0.03 m/s^2, this causes massive changes in satellite orbits, in Inclination, Semi Major axis, Eccentricity and Mean Anomaly. Completely changing vessels in unstable/non station keeping orbits. So my intention is to map the current models of Mascons of the Earth and the Moon into the game, this will not be easy and will only be beneficial to RSS, but this is the next logical step for realistic decay modelling, I will also produce estimated maps of every other solar body to complete the system. 

Whitecat106 :)