[1.1.3] Orbital Decay v1.5.2 (17/07/2016) - Total Overhaul

Whitecat106

1 hour ago, M4ssler said:

Hello @all,

is there any guide how to use it. the button for enable station keeping i found ;-)

But what does toggle nobdy breakdown and toggle decay rate breakdown. My english is  not the best and the translator gives nothing unseful translation

Hello there,

There is a partially complete Github guide here.

Currently the NBody breakdown function is only for display, eventually this will show something useful! The decay rate breakdown shows how the vessel orbit is being changed by various types of decay, giving some useful numbers. Check out the guide and let me know if you have any problems and I will be happy to help!

If you would prefer, I can translate the guide into your native language and send it to you if it helps! :)

1 hour ago, SyzygyΣE said:

As had been suggested before, I turned off Orbital Drift Compensation to try and allow the mod to work through a manual process but the issue I've had has kept recurring: the UI says the orbit will decay after some time, but the orbit height never changes from orbit to orbit.

I think I might wait for 1.6.0 and then report back my findings. It certainly is bizarre that it worked for @h0yer but not myself. I will keep progressing through my career and see how I go.

I can't spot anything unusual about orbital decay in the Player.log but I'll see if I can get a link here to one anyway so you guys can have a look.

@h0yer, you are playing with Stock, correct? I'm thinking that fact that I have RSS might be the problem but I really don't know. Nonetheless, I'll acquire a copy of my log tomorrow.

Are you observing the vessel through the tracking station or by controlling the vessel (active)? As of 1.5.1 decay for active vessels has been temporarily turned off (since this would interfere with some aspects of 1.6.0), this will be turned back on for the next update but orbits should currently be decaying if observed in the tracking station or from another vessel just not an active vessel. Sorry about this! Let me know if this still persists as it may be a mod incompatibility! I am also running with an RSS install but everything seems to be working fine on my end.

As for the Mascon Issue, please ignore this for the moment, seems to be a persistent bug with something dividing by zero - (I just havent tracked it down yet!), shouldn't effect gameplay too much!

Whitecat106 :)

@Whitecat106

this is very friendly and a great community... Thanks, i really enjoy this! ;-)

I understand that there are 4 types of effects (i can google in german). i can translate and understand the headlines

but I don´t Understand these 2 buttonsand what they do if i push it:  1. "toggle nobdy breakdown"

2. "toggle decay rate breakdown"

edit: a friend told me, what this is show.  so  i don´t need help ;-)

Edited by M4ssler

I've noticed when the mod tries to find what fuel to use for station keeping, it doesn't care if an engine for that fuel has no ignitions left, or if the fuel is solid (thus not suitable for the purpose).

I think there is a need here to limit available station keeping fuel types to liquid fuel (+ ion engine fuel), and also to only show if the engines for that fuel is an OMS with lots of ignitions.

I'm playing a KSP 1.1.3 with a lot of mods, so probably could be a conflict here on there, but once I added Orbital Decay, NO orbit were shown in map lowering their altitude (aside from the active one, as said by the author that it is not not active) when I was in an active vessel, BUT, as predicted, low orbit one suddenly disappear as "crashed" even if a moment before they were still in +75-80 km range (basically, in the "original" orbit). Only jumping from vessel to vessel "updated" in the map their "predicted decayed orbit" as they should be...

I was very interested to the mod, but if this behaviour is considered "normal", it could put in danger (and visually, not easy to check) many many vessel, so I removed for the moment, waiting for a better implementation...

Edited by Araym

Does this mod work with Kopernicus systems that reparent Kerbin? I'm playing with New Horizons, and every so often my satellites and debris will get shot out of their orbit onto extremely elliptical and inclined paths, which once resulted in a probe getting shot completely out of the Kerbol system. I'm also using 6.4x, which should give some idea of the velocities involved.

I'm getting a strange bug which is causing my re-entering unmanned ship to stop de-accelerating at a seemingly random point (I'm using RSS, so orbital velocity is around 8000m/s at the edge of the atmosphere which is at 140km; on a normal re-enter it hits at around 6500m/s, but I've cheated to stop and drop down and then it hit around 3500m/s, and when I've cheated and floated down at around 200m/s it happened around 10,000m from the ground). My KER window disappears, all of my resources go to "0/0", I cannot control anything (I'm using RemoteTech, so this would be normal but without it the same thing happens).

The ship continues to stay at the same speed (no more drag, gravity doesn't appear to affect it, etc) until it either smashes into the ground on the current vector or it flies off into interstellar space.

When this happens, my debug console overflows with the following:

[EXC 18:59:05.554] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
	System.Collections.Generic.List`1[PartThermalData].get_Item (Int32 index)
	FlightIntegrator.UpdateOcclusionConvection ()
	FlightIntegrator.UpdateOcclusion (Boolean all)
	ModularFI.ModularFlightIntegrator.UpdateOcclusion (Boolean all)
	FlightIntegrator.Update ()

A full copy of my latest log can be found here: http://guswut.com/KSP/KSP.log.2016-08-19--19-58-13.zip

It's around 40MB uncompressed.

Now, the reason that I'm posting here instead of the ModularFlightIntegrator mod is that when I remove Orbital Decay the issue goes away completely.

I'm using version 1.5.0 which I just checked and is out of date as of today. Also I didn't have the ORBIT_DRIFT_COMPENSATION setting set to False. After changing that setting and upgrading to the latest version, the issue persists without any change from what I can see.

A screenshot of what things look like is here: http://imgur.com/a/z3No5

I've got way too many mods, so there may be another conflict at fault going on here besides ModularFlightIntegrator and OrbitalDecay, but this is a start after all.

So is there something obvious that I'm missing (besides the changing of that setting and making sure I'm on the latest version), or should I start testing a stripped down build to make sure it's ModularFlightIntergrator (and FAR which is why I've got it installed, maybe also DeadlyReentry if I recall).

Thank you!

Post script (2016-08-19--23-44-58): And after another round of testing, it may in fact not be related to Orbital Decay. I'll sleep on it and try it again in the morning to see if I can narrow it down. Sorry, and thanks!

Post script (2016-08-20--14-12-05): Yeah, Orbital Decay isn't the issue. Sorry about that, and back to the drawing board for me. Thanks!

Edit (2016-08-19--23-44-58): Added post script.

Edit (2016-08-20--14-12-05): Added update to my last update.

Edited by Guswut
Check the bottom of the post for an edit log.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I have been playing on an RSS/RO save file that is based in KSP 1.1.2, with several mods from 1.1.3 installed without difficulty. I tried to install the new Orbital Decay mod, after issues I encountered with a previous version forced me to uninstall it (I mentioned this in the Realism Overhaul thread). I have since reinstalled Orbital Decay (thanks for your response in the RO thread, Whitecat), however I noticed that my orbits were not decaying. As this is a rather central feature of the mod, I would really appreciate it if someone could fill me in as to why this is happening. Is the 1.1.3 version not compatible with KSP 1.1.2, and if so, is there a version of the 1.1.2 mod that is still available for download? If you need a log, just let me know, and I can post it. Thank you so much for your response. 

@ebigunso I checked both in the settings.cfg and the in-game menu, and I can't find any instance of Orbital Drift Compensation. I believe the feature was introduced in 1.1.3 to stop the phantom drifting of orbits at 1x time acceleration. That's what makes me wonder if my copy of Orbital Decay, which is meant for 1.1.3, isn't working on my file because 1.1.3 handles orbital drift differently.

44 minutes ago, gemini4 said:

@ebigunso I checked both in the settings.cfg and the in-game menu, and I can't find any instance of Orbital Drift Compensation. I believe the feature was introduced in 1.1.3 to stop the phantom drifting of orbits at 1x time acceleration. That's what makes me wonder if my copy of Orbital Decay, which is meant for 1.1.3, isn't working on my file because 1.1.3 handles orbital drift differently.

It is generally not advisable to use mods made for current version with an older version of the game. 

Orbital decay version 1.5.1 is the latest version for 1.1.2. To download it click the changelog tab on SpaceDock then scroll down to find 1.5.1. 

Ah, thanks. I typically make sure the mods are working in a test save file before opening up my actual save. Most of the time, I encounter little difficulty, and many mods that I am using on KSP 1.1.2 were built for KSP 1.0.5 and run without incident. Likewise, I am also running many mods built for 1.1.3 without incident as well, but I guess since orbital drift is handled differently in KSP 1.1.3 than in 1.1.2, this was one of the mods that has been drastically affected by the change. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there, I just wanted to post up a little feature request for that new version you said was working on.

It would be nice if you could sort the vessels in the Orbital Decay Management window in different ways, like from new to old, old to new, alphabetical, and whatever else you can think of.

I'm all very excited for when the new version releases, so I wish you luck with the coding :)

I've got a little error in the decay rate breakdown window, that told me to post the issue here so I'll do so now.

The message read "Error detected, this is a MasCon issue this will not effect gameplay."

This seemed to happen for all of my satellites in a low polar orbit around Earth (300km~700km), so there seems to be an issue regarding low altitude polar orbits. One of my higher altitude polar satellite in a 9000km orbit didn't have this issue.

Edited by ebigunso

On 13/08/2016 at 8:55 AM, MinimumSky5 said:

Does this mod work with Kopernicus systems that reparent Kerbin? I'm playing with New Horizons, and every so often my satellites and debris will get shot out of their orbit onto extremely elliptical and inclined paths, which once resulted in a probe getting shot completely out of the Kerbol system. I'm also using 6.4x, which should give some idea of the velocities involved.

I have encountered a few issues with Kopernicus on my end, but only with packs that alter the Sun (Kerbol), Kopernicus seems to want to add an atmosphere to re parented stars which can cause alot of problems with vessels being thrown off into escape trajectories. At the moment, I would air on the side of caution with Kopernicus planet packs, especially ones that alter the sun. However new horizons should not be a real issue, the problem might be to do with 6.4x, I will do some digging and get back to you!

Hello everyone and sorry for my lack of replies lately, University has just begun and as such I have been far too horrendously drunk to solve the nbody problem! But not to worry, more is in the pipeline and hopefully I will have a 1.2 release version soon - a few more weeks for things to settle down and I will be doing some serious mod grinding to get 1.6.0 out to you all!

Please for the moment ignore any error messages that pop up, the issue has been resolved with Mascons (hopefully!). If anyone could let me know if there are any problems with KSP 1.2 and the mod that would be great so I do not need to spend too much time catching up when I finally get a sober 10 minutes!

Whitecat106 :)

5 minutes ago, Whitecat106 said:

At the moment, I would air on the side of caution

brilliant :P

6 minutes ago, Whitecat106 said:

University has just begun and as such I have been far too horrendously drunk to solve the nbody problem!

I raise a glass to you! Good to hear you'll be working this through v1.2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016-09-29 at 4:55 PM, Whitecat106 said:

If anyone could let me know if there are any problems with KSP 1.2 and the mod that would be great so I do not need to spend too much time catching up when I finally get a sober 10 minutes!

Results of a quick test: Current version doesn't load, and source doesn't compile.

Loading current version:

Spoiler

[LOG 11:26:39.436] AssemblyLoader: Loading assemblies
[ERR 11:26:39.572] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KSPUtil, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 11:26:39.573] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: KSPUtil, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 11:26:39.586] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'OrbitalDecay': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'WhitecatIndustries.MasConData' from assembly 'OrbitalDecay1.5, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'WhitecatIndustries.VesselData' from assembly 'OrbitalDecay1.5, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'WhitecatIndustries.ModuleOrbitalDecay' from assembly 'OrbitalDecay1.5, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'WhitecatIndustries.Settings' from assembly 'OrbitalDecay1.5, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'WhitecatIndustries.StationKeepData' from assembly 'OrbitalDecay1.5, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

[ERR 11:26:39.590] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'SCS': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'WhitecatIndustries.SCSWindow' from assembly 'SCS, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'WhitecatIndustries.SCSManager' from assembly 'SCS, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Compiling from source:

Spoiler

DecayManager.cs(159,20): warning CS0219: The variable `FilePath' is assigned but its value is never used
DecayManager.cs(714,39): error CS0103: The name `SCSManager' does not exist in the current context
DecayManager.cs(715,47): error CS0103: The name `SCSManager' does not exist in the current context
DecayManager.cs(1216,43): error CS0103: The name `SCSManager' does not exist in the current context
DecayManager.cs(1217,51): error CS0103: The name `SCSManager' does not exist in the current context
DecayManager.cs(1438,43): error CS0103: The name `SCSManager' does not exist in the current context
DecayManager.cs(1439,51): error CS0103: The name `SCSManager' does not exist in the current context
DecayManager.cs(1537,31): error CS0103: The name `SCSManager' does not exist in the current context
DecayManager.cs(1538,39): error CS0103: The name `SCSManager' does not exist in the current context
DecayManager.cs(1596,31): error CS0103: The name `SCSManager' does not exist in the current context
DecayManager.cs(1597,39): error CS0103: The name `SCSManager' does not exist in the current context
MasConManager.cs(142,66): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
/data/steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
MasConManager.cs(143,65): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
/data/steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
MasConManager.cs(264,66): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(265,65): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(386,66): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(387,65): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(512,66): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(513,65): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(639,66): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(640,65): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(769,66): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(770,65): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(897,66): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(898,65): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(1026,66): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(1027,65): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(1155,66): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(1156,65): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(1284,66): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(1285,65): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(1413,66): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
MasConManager.cs(1414,65): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
ModuleOrbitalDecay.cs(361,18): error CS1061: Type `Part' does not contain a definition for `GetConnectedResources' and no extension method `GetConnectedResources' of type `Part' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
NBodyManager.cs(172,55): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
NBodyManager.cs(265,55): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
NBodyManager.cs(819,74): error CS1501: No overload for method `GetMeanAnomaly' takes `2' arguments
UserInterface.cs(663,21): warning CS0472: The result of comparing value type `bool' with null is always `true'
UserInterface.cs(738,21): warning CS0472: The result of comparing value type `bool' with null is always `true'
YarkovskyEffect.cs(109,66): error CS1501: No overload for method `Inverse' takes `0' arguments
/data/steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
Compilation failed: 37 error(s), 3 warnings

• 3 weeks later...

I did take a bit of a look a while back to see if there was an easy fix for the compile issues, and didn't get very far... looks like "GetMeanAnomaly" used to take 2 arguments (vessel and time) and now it only takes vessel, presumably always using the current time. Unfortunately, OD used the time argument to look forward a bit, and I'm not familiar enough with the code to know if there's a work-around for that.