[1.1.3] Orbital Decay v1.5.2 (17/07/2016) - Total Overhaul

Whitecat106

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your patience with this! I know everyone is eager to get a version that works with KSP 1.2! I still have a lot of work to do IRL but since Christmas is coming up I do have some more free time!

So a note on progress!

1.6.0 is still on the way, still have to get round to totally rebuilding N-Body... and a tonne of other things... so in the mean time I have decided to work on a 1.5.3 patch just to make everything compatible with the new KSP. That being said I do not know when I will have this finished, or if there will be any new shiny features but I will try and keep you all updated!

One big issue is the changes to the Orbit Driver method in the new version, this 'cleanup' has made a great deal of errors, this has hampered pretty much everything to do with the Mascon code and my future N-Body code, so I will have to write a new function for this, derived from the other orbital elements... possibly causing slightly more lag for the next version... especially since as far as I remember the mean anomaly function in question requires use of the Newton Raphson method over many iterations just to get an accurate value! Other than this I should be able to release a test version asap!

If anyone wants to take a crack at the code before I can get a chance please do check out the Github, raise an issue and it will speed things up!

Kindest Regards!

Whitecat106 :)

That n-body stuff is really making things difficult it sounds like. I'd say just drop it but seems like something you're genuinely interested in pulling off so - good luck! Thanks for the update, was actually hoping you'd have a bit of time to swing by now that school semesters are wrapping up soon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd love to see the basic orbital decay functionality split off into a separate mod, if that's at all possible. No need for N-body sim, custom GUI, automatic station keeping, predicted decay time... all those fancy bells and whistles. Just the decay itself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2017 at 7:31 PM, White Owl said:

I'd love to see the basic orbital decay functionality split off into a separate mod, if that's at all possible. No need for N-body sim, custom GUI, automatic station keeping, predicted decay time... all those fancy bells and whistles. Just the decay itself.

I have the same thought. 

15 hours ago, eberkain said:

I have the same thought. 

Same here, but it seemed that Whitecat was genuinely interested himself in getting n-body to work, not that he was doing it for any users in particular. So there's really no use telling a modder not to do something he's interested in doing when it drives him to work on the mod

18 minutes ago, Toonu said:

How to install this mod? When I installed Folder from GameData from GitHub, it won't have any icon on toolbar or effects on the orbit. Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Ave! Toonu

It doesn't work with KSP 1.2.2. It is only for 1.1.3.

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delay with everything! I have decided, after reading through the recent posts and the big issues with the N-body decay side that I will, for the mean time, remove the N-Body code from the mod and instead focus again on the original decay functions.

The reason a KSP 1.2 version has not been released yet is due to a resource handling issue for station keeping;

The original code for station keeping was written by zajc3w, however as of KSP 1.2.x the code seems to fail due to some of KSP's part module functions having been culled, I will release a tester version compiled for 1.2 later this afternoon but I need to specifically find out if the station keeping resources are being drained in the background as they used to be, this should work for RSS and Stock. This version will only be intermediary as I really do want to add in some better UI elements, fix some Mascon issues, and generally polish things up better, sadly I just don't have much time as of late. So the plan is this:

- I will release a test version this afternoon for KSP 1.2 , probably via dropbox for anyone to test out and see if they can find any issues, this feature will include a new VAB menu and (hopefully) a work around for resource consumption, so I will post back on the forum with a link to this version once I have compiled it and removed some glaring issues today.

- I will then fix anymore bugs and release 1.5.3 on Spacedock as a release version with just not many new changes.

- Once I have more time I will work towards a 1.6.0 with some big code changes to Yarkvosky, Mascon and Radiation pressure, and bigger fixes as necessary.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

Whitecat :)

25 minutes ago, Whitecat106 said:

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delay with everything! I have decided, after reading through the recent posts and the big issues with the N-body decay side that I will, for the mean time, remove the N-Body code from the mod and instead focus again on the original decay functions.

The reason a KSP 1.2 version has not been released yet is due to a resource handling issue for station keeping;

The original code for station keeping was written by zajc3w, however as of KSP 1.2.x the code seems to fail due to some of KSP's part module functions having been culled, I will release a tester version compiled for 1.2 later this afternoon but I need to specifically find out if the station keeping resources are being drained in the background as they used to be, this should work for RSS and Stock. This version will only be intermediary as I really do want to add in some better UI elements, fix some Mascon issues, and generally polish things up better, sadly I just don't have much time as of late. So the plan is this:

- I will release a test version this afternoon for KSP 1.2 , probably via dropbox for anyone to test out and see if they can find any issues, this feature will include a new VAB menu and (hopefully) a work around for resource consumption, so I will post back on the forum with a link to this version once I have compiled it and removed some glaring issues today.

- I will then fix anymore bugs and release 1.5.3 on Spacedock as a release version with just not many new changes.

- Once I have more time I will work towards a 1.6.0 with some big code changes to Yarkvosky, Mascon and Radiation pressure, and bigger fixes as necessary.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

Whitecat :)

Thanks for all your great work - looking forward to using it again.

BUT im sure im not the only mac user who's dying for a n body model. So, dont let all your hard work go to waste and feel encouraged to carry on :)

Hello everyone,

So I have compiled a build for KSP 1.2.X, this should be working just as well as previous versions of the game. An editor interface is now available to be opened which gives some information of vessel dimensions but I have run out of time today to get any more new features working. So give it a try from this dropbox link!

Now as for where I want to go with the mod:

-Once I get more time I really do want to have an N-Body model perturbing every orbit, including the planets, this however will probably only be possible in May/June time. As always any suggestions or code snippets would be appreciated and would be best sent as an issue or pull request on the github repository.

Sadly the lack of time really is the deciding factor with what I get done here, if anyone would like to collaborate in further updates I would be very willing to share the work load. I am still motivated to produce a more 'accessible' n-body mod, that being said now that Principia has been released as a binary, I would request anyone desperate for N-Body orbits to check that out and see if Orbital Decay is compatible! As for mac users, @Simon91 I will certainly carry on development, probably with a completely new version of Orbital Decay (1.6.0) for a neater and less cpu intensive release, but as I said, it may take a little while!

Enjoy and please do let me know of any problems, suggestions or anything else, preferably by raising an issue in the github repo as I tend to get notifications from github more directly than though the KSP forum!

Whitecat106 :)

so, eager as I am to use this mod I've come up against two serious problems:

The first is that since this actually models decay, Arrowstar says he can't include it in his mission planner software. I really need to have a robust mission planner.

Second is a bit more personal but tied to the first, in that if KSPTOT can't include decay, my Flight Tracker can't handle it either since it's based of KSPTOT orbital calculations and therefore the assumption that there is no decay in KSP

The mod is doing a great job now of modeling decay, and Whitecat106 wants to make it even more realistic with n-body perturbation, so I highly doubt he'd want to go backwards as well and work out a very simple and mainly static model that approximates decay. But hey, never hurts to ask.