[1.1.3] Orbital Decay v1.5.2 (17/07/2016) - Total Overhaul

Whitecat106

If memory serves, VesselData.cfg is no longer used. What was in it is now saved in savefile.

Orbit info, vessel mass, surface area, and station keeping status are all saved in savefile as of my 1.5.3 or 1.5.4.

12 minutes ago, ZAJC3W said:

If memory serves, VesselData.cfg is no longer used. What was in it is now saved in savefile.

Orbit info, vessel mass, surface area, and station keeping status are all saved in savefile as of my 1.5.3 or 1.5.4.

Yeah I saw that in the scenario node for OD. the release that's up there now still writes it out but I guess the latest source does not?

6 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Ok, I really just wanna get this straight, pretty confused trying to read the last 20~ posts. Does this mod work correctly in 1.4.2, or should I wait for someone to recompile it?

Short version: It has been recompiled, but there are some bugs. I don't think there's any new bugs, though, if you've used this before.

The latest "full" release is ZAJC3W's compile for 1.3 (which works in 1.4 perfectly fine), and I've compiled a .dll for 1.4.2 with a couple of extra bugfixes (you can ignore the .diff files). There may be more bugfixes coming.

On 4/19/2018 at 3:39 AM, Starwaster said:

You have an ongoing saved game with the LAN = 0 bug? As in you can load that game up right now and can see that it's happening? If so please put both the save file (either persistent.sfs or quicksave.sfs where it's been saved while the bug is active) and the VesselData.cfg file from whitecatindustries\orbitaldecay\plugins\ folder somewhere I can download them?

(as an aside, that game is probably permanently corrupted as in even if the bug gets fixed, you can expect existing vessels to still be bugged)

Okay, next time I'm at my PC I'll double check the bug still happens and send the persistent file to you. It's an early career mode game, with only one satellite orbiting Kerbin. But as mentioned previously... 1.3.1 and a crapton of mods.

Edit: As promised: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yybbocl37ughy8w/AAD0l8gUQtmQdpPvI8uhYMHNa?dl=0

I downloaded a fresh copy of ZAJC3W's version linked above, installed as usual, and checked that the mod seemed to install okay. The lone satellite was still at LAN=0. I hyperedited that satellite back into its original orbit of LAN = 263.26, exited to the space center, fast forwarded the clock a few hours, and checked the satellite. LAN = 0. I made no other changes, and exited the game. I sincerely hope this helps.

Edited by White Owl

16 hours ago, White Owl said:

Okay, next time I'm at my PC I'll double check the bug still happens and send the persistent file to you. It's an early career mode game, with only one satellite orbiting Kerbin. But as mentioned previously... 1.3.1 and a crapton of mods.

Edit: As promised: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yybbocl37ughy8w/AAD0l8gUQtmQdpPvI8uhYMHNa?dl=0

I downloaded a fresh copy of ZAJC3W's version linked above, installed as usual, and checked that the mod seemed to install okay. The lone satellite was still at LAN=0. I hyperedited that satellite back into its original orbit of LAN = 263.26, exited to the space center, fast forwarded the clock a few hours, and checked the satellite. LAN = 0. I made no other changes, and exited the game. I sincerely hope this helps.

Ok, finally am able to reproduce this only it's not taking hours, it happens immediately upon switching scenes or switching to another vehicle... not sure why it didn't happen for me before. Or maybe it was but I was looking in the wrong places...

It also only happened to me after switching to a mostly stock installation so maybe something else I had installed was preventing it.

Edit: Ok, scratch the part about it happening immediately after switching scenes.... I think that bit was only happening because I had already triggered the bug, gone back to the vessel and then changed the LAN (with the stock cheat orbit setter) - and then switched away before the scene could be saved.  OD then updated the orbit with its own saved values which were never replaced with the new ones. 

So I can see THAT happening in any circumstance where the orbit parameters change and then the scene is exited BEFORE OD commits the parameters to its own saved node.

But that's probably a different problem than the one being investigated. Or maybe not... 0 is the default value and if OD tries to update an orbit's parameters and tries to look up those parameters before it has a saved node to look them up on then 0 is what you get.

Edited by Starwaster

23 hours ago, Maeyanie said:

Short version: It has been recompiled, but there are some bugs. I don't think there's any new bugs, though, if you've used this before.

The latest "full" release is ZAJC3W's compile for 1.3 (which works in 1.4 perfectly fine), and I've compiled a .dll for 1.4.2 with a couple of extra bugfixes (you can ignore the .diff files). There may be more bugfixes coming.

Thanks for the info.

@White Owl

Ok here's something to try:

Navigate to GameData\whitecatindustries\orbital decay\plugins\PluginData

And replace the MasConData.cfg file with this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0yggnocyoznnwe/MasConData.cfg?dl=1

And then see if you can still reproduce the bug. (with the caveat of course that any craft that were already hit by it are still going to bugged and need to have their orbits fixed by you)

Edited by Starwaster

@Starwaster, I think you might be a genius! :cool:

It had been so long since I orbited anything other than Kerbin or the Mun, I dind't even have a valid savefile, so I created one to test and indeed, the bug only presented above Kerbin or the Mun; not elsewhere.

I installed your edited MasCon config, launched a new satellite, did the same testing steps as before... and the problem is fixed!

I love simple fixes, even when they take a while to figure out. You rock. This mod appears to be saved. Happiness all around. :D

I also tried it late on Sunday in an RSS build with 150+ mods. Seems to be working fine and craft are decaying back to Earth on their own like they are supposed to do. And, no orbits are being messed up. I do sometimes see the orbits flicker for a millisecond and appear to move but then go right back to where they should be. Still testing but working fine after 30 or so launches. I didn't think anyone was going to get this mod fixed. @Starwaster  you are brilliant. Can't thank you enough.

7 hours ago, White Owl said:

@Starwaster, I think you might be a genius! :cool:

It had been so long since I orbited anything other than Kerbin or the Mun, I dind't even have a valid savefile, so I created one to test and indeed, the bug only presented above Kerbin or the Mun; not elsewhere.

I installed your edited MasCon config, launched a new satellite, did the same testing steps as before... and the problem is fixed!

I love simple fixes, even when they take a while to figure out. You rock. This mod appears to be saved. Happiness all around. :D

It should probably be considered a workaround though rather than a full solution because this removes the configured mass concentrations. There's probably a problem with the mascon calculations that was applying too much deviation to the LAN values.

Well, I have to wonder if the mass concentrations were ever working correctly in the first place... and even if they were, I wonder how many players honestly will notice the difference with them gone. I've always turned off the n-body stuff, and never used the station keeping or predicted decay times. I imagine I'm not alone in this.

5 minutes ago, White Owl said:

Well, I have to wonder if the mass concentrations were ever working correctly in the first place... and even if they were, I wonder how many players honestly will notice the difference with them gone. I've always turned off the n-body stuff, and never used the station keeping or predicted decay times. I imagine I'm not alone in this.

The station keeping is pretty handy, for when you don't want your expensive LKO research station to accidentally deorbit. But I'm with you on being able to live without mass concentrations.

• 3 weeks later...

hey is there an experimental version for 1.4.x?

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:41 AM, Maeyanie said:

The station keeping is pretty handy, for when you don't want your expensive LKO research station to accidentally deorbit. But I'm with you on being able to live without mass concentrations.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, Maeyanie said:

where should I place the dll?

On 5/10/2018 at 6:29 PM, The-Doctor said:

where should I place the dll?

Replacing the similarly-named .dll which comes in the original package, "whitecatindustries/orbital decay/OrbitalDecay1.5.4.dll"

Edited by Maeyanie

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 5:40 PM, Maeyanie said:

Hey @Maeyanie, are you interested in maintaining this mod?  If not, I would be willing to assume support going forward, given the current orphan status of the mod...

given that @Whitecat106 has not been on since July 2017, I've sent a PM and notified him that I would be adopting the mod.  SO, unless anyone is already planning to do this,   I will proceed with a new fork, build and release for 1.4.3, which will include the fixes that @Maeyanie noted in the diff files included with the dll for 1.4.2.  I will open a new Thread to support the mod going forward.  If Whitecat106 returns I will gladly coordinate to ensure a smooth transition.

Edited by Papa_Joe
Mod adoption declaration.

• 4 months later...