[1.1.3] Orbital Decay v1.5.2 (17/07/2016) - Total Overhaul

Whitecat106

was just futzing about in my 1.1.2 install with the latest orbital decay and noticed the tracking station lets me see the solar cycle window - but I'm not using RSS. So does it still have an effect with the regular system?

15 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

was just futzing about in my 1.1.2 install with the latest orbital decay and noticed the tracking station lets me see the solar cycle window - but I'm not using RSS. So does it still have an effect with the regular system?

It will not have an effect on the decay rates no; the stock decay rate is more hard coded, but I made the SCS compatible with both - producing a different length cycle based on the days in the Kerbin / Earth years, this is so that if anyone wants to use my SCS plugin for developing a realistic solar radiation / solar flare / solar magnetism mod they can make it cross compatible with Stock or RSS! :)

I've been testing the newest version today Whitecat, but having some issues with it. I've got a small probe in orbit at 250km around Kerbin. After time-warping for 6 years, the orbit altitude had dropped by only 10 meters or so (double checked and station keeping isn't active). However, now when i switch to the vessel, its orbit is decaying at around 1 meter every 6ish seconds (decay multiplier is still at 1.0).

Here's the Log File

Let me know if a save file / any other information would help.

10 hours ago, Qwarkk said:

I've been testing the newest version today Whitecat, but having some issues with it. I've got a small probe in orbit at 250km around Kerbin. After time-warping for 6 years, the orbit altitude had dropped by only 10 meters or so (double checked and station keeping isn't active). However, now when i switch to the vessel, its orbit is decaying at around 1 meter every 6ish seconds (decay multiplier is still at 1.0).

Here's the Log File

Let me know if a save file / any other information would help.

Hello there,

I notice that you are using a mostly stock install, thus the mod is using the stock decay system. This works in two ways; background (Non active vessels) and foreground (active vessels).

With this system the size and mass of the vessel directly influences the decay rate (in a mostly opposite way to that of real life). For example, a large but light satellite will have the same rate of decay as a small but heavy satellite, if you have a small and light satellite in orbit the decay rate could be very low. This might explain why the satellites decay rate is so low in the background, but even then 10 meters in 6 years is incredibly slow...

The active decay system kicks in when the vessel is the active vessel in a flight scene, the decay rates here are the same as in the background but their implementation leaves much to be desired, I have struggled a great deal trying to find a method of updating the active vessels velocity with a calculated velocity reliably - without crazy rates or eccentricity changes, I suppose this is a worst case scenario of the differences between the two systems :( I will see what I can do for 1.4.0, I have been focusing on RSS alot lately and the stock system needs some love so these issues are on my to do list next!

Thanks for the report though, I will see what I can do for the next release! In the mean time try checking out the decay rates on a larger heavier satellite and seeing how much greater the decay rate is.

Whitecat106 :)

42 minutes ago, Whitecat106 said:

Hello there,

I notice that you are using a mostly stock install, thus the mod is using the stock decay system. This works in two ways; background (Non active vessels) and foreground (active vessels).

With this system the size and mass of the vessel directly influences the decay rate (in a mostly opposite way to that of real life). For example, a large but light satellite will have the same rate of decay as a small but heavy satellite, if you have a small and light satellite in orbit the decay rate could be very low. This might explain why the satellites decay rate is so low in the background, but even then 10 meters in 6 years is incredibly slow...

The active decay system kicks in when the vessel is the active vessel in a flight scene, the decay rates here are the same as in the background but their implementation leaves much to be desired, I have struggled a great deal trying to find a method of updating the active vessels velocity with a calculated velocity reliably - without crazy rates or eccentricity changes, I suppose this is a worst case scenario of the differences between the two systems :( I will see what I can do for 1.4.0, I have been focusing on RSS alot lately and the stock system needs some love so these issues are on my to do list next!

Thanks for the report though, I will see what I can do for the next release! In the mean time try checking out the decay rates on a larger heavier satellite and seeing how much greater the decay rate is.

That confused me. Is there some other mod we should be using along with this one to get more accurate decay?

I noticed yesterday, by the way, that when I was orbiting very close to another vessel that I had almost exactly matched velocities with, if I increased the game speed to anything more than one arrow the other ship would start teleporting a few hundred meters every second or so, and not always in the same direction! That doesn't happen without this mod installed. Any idea why?

Just now, Rhedd said:

That confused me. Is there some other mod we should be using along with this one to get more accurate decay?

I noticed yesterday, by the way, that when I was orbiting very close to another vessel that I had almost exactly matched velocities with, if I increased the game speed to anything more than one arrow the other ship would start teleporting a few hundred meters every second or so, and not always in the same direction! That doesn't happen without this mod installed. Any idea why?

This mod is designed for compatibility with both the Stock game and the Real Solar System mod by @NathanKell , at the moment alot of work has been done to make this mod compatible with RSS and as such the stock side of the mod has been neglected, for the next update I will be looking at and fixing the stock version of this mod. 

I have had to make a separate decay formula for the Stock game since the planets are so small in stock (in comparison to RSS and real life) the equations simply break, so this is why the mod functions differently with stock than RSS.

As for the teleporting issue this has been fixed for the next version! Thanks though!

Once I have fixed the stock side of the plugin I will release 1.4.0. (probably by this evening or tomorrow!)

55 minutes ago, Whitecat106 said:

This mod is designed for compatibility with both the Stock game and the Real Solar System mod by @NathanKell , at the moment alot of work has been done to make this mod compatible with RSS and as such the stock side of the mod has been neglected, for the next update I will be looking at and fixing the stock version of this mod. 

I have had to make a separate decay formula for the Stock game since the planets are so small in stock (in comparison to RSS and real life) the equations simply break, so this is why the mod functions differently with stock than RSS.

As for the teleporting issue this has been fixed for the next version! Thanks though!

Once I have fixed the stock side of the plugin I will release 1.4.0. (probably by this evening or tomorrow!)

Ooh, I see, thanks! And glad to hear that the teleporting will be fixed soon.

I really find this mod fun. Even when it doesn't matter in the slightest, I really enjoy looking at my satellite and knowing it'll come down 360 years from now! :D

Also, any reason to have to fly supply missions to a space station makes me happy.

Edited by Rhedd

Out of curiosity, how are you handling resource consumption during stationkeeping?

I've had some ideas for a satellite synchronization/stationkeeping mod, where you'd group a handful of satellites, define the desired orbital characteristics of that group (e.g. "maintain orbital period of 6 hours +/- tolerance and separation of 360/n degrees +/- tolerance"), and then the mod would periodically plan the necessary maneuvers to get the group back in sync and simulate them while the group is in the background.  There's lots of reasons why that mod would be a challenge for me (I'm new to writing KSP mods for instance, and need to learn a lot of math regarding maneuver planning) but simulating fuel consumption seems like one of the more difficult parts.

What I'd really like to do is say "consume 50 dV worth of fuel" and have the right things happen.

42 minutes ago, dewin said:

Out of curiosity, how are you handling resource consumption during stationkeeping?

I've had some ideas for a satellite synchronization/stationkeeping mod, where you'd group a handful of satellites, define the desired orbital characteristics of that group (e.g. "maintain orbital period of 6 hours +/- tolerance and separation of 360/n degrees +/- tolerance"), and then the mod would periodically plan the necessary maneuvers to get the group back in sync and simulate them while the group is in the background.  There's lots of reasons why that mod would be a challenge for me (I'm new to writing KSP mods for instance, and need to learn a lot of math regarding maneuver planning) but simulating fuel consumption seems like one of the more difficult parts.

What I'd really like to do is say "consume 50 dV worth of fuel" and have the right things happen.

During Station Keeping resource handling is at the moment just a proportion of the decay rate, I had intended on adding in, as you say, consume 50dv of fuel based on the change in orbital velocity experienced but this requires information on the fuel consumption, ISP, engine count etc that I simply haven't got round to programming yet! Maybe for 1.5.0 I will take a look at this, I know that Kerbal Engineer or Mech Jeb have displays that indicate the current fuel to delta v ratio, (such as those seen in the VAB scene).

Send me a PM if you want to know more and Ill see what I can do to help when I have a little more time! :)

9 hours ago, Whitecat106 said:

I've been running into an issue with an inability to set station keeping fuel properly, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, I get a notification that its been set, but then when I try to activated it, I'm met with a message that there is no fuel for station keeping. Based on the updates since those mentions, however, I believed the issue was fixed. I'm running version 1.3.2, on a stock KSP install. With what you've said in the above quoted text, I'm wondering if I should uninstall until you've had a chance to work on the stock compatibility for the mod?

Just now, SpacedInvader said:

I've been running into an issue with an inability to set station keeping fuel properly, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, I get a notification that its been set, but then when I try to activated it, I'm met with a message that there is no fuel for station keeping. Based on the updates since those mentions, however, I believed the issue was fixed. I'm running version 1.3.2, on a stock KSP install. With what you've said in the above quoted text, I'm wondering if I should uninstall until you've had a chance to work on the stock compatibility for the mod?

Not to worry about this! I am about to release 1.4.0 which fixes this exact issue and the stock problems, just checking everythings in order at the moment. Expect a release within the hour which corrects this station keeping fuel bug and fixes stock decay!

1 minute ago, Whitecat106 said:

Not to worry about this! I am about to release 1.4.0 which fixes this exact issue and the stock problems, just checking everythings in order at the moment. Expect a release within the hour which corrects this station keeping fuel bug and fixes stock decay!

This makes me happy! :)

Hello everyone,

I have just released 1.4.0 here are a list of changes:

- Fixed Stock and RSS Lag
- Fixed Stock and RSS Resource Manager
- Added Config node clearing
- Fixed Radiation Pressure UI issues
- Fixed Crash to Desktop on decouple
- Added Hide GUI on F2
- Fixed Debris timewarp runaway
- Misc Fixes and Changes
- Stock decay system updated to a closer realistic approximation

And completely rebuilt the resource and decay systems for integration with Mascon's and engine ISP's for 1.5.0, until then.

Enjoy

12 minutes ago, DasBananenbrot said:

Thanks for the update. Really nice mod btw :D

Thanks! :)

Just released 1.4.1 as a quick fix to a small resource rate bug that I noticed, the resource slider is now fixed, sorry about missing that one!

I will be around to fix more issues and work on 1.5.0 on Sunday!

Enjoy,

Whitecat106

So, I was getting this weird game breaking glitch where on a new launch I'd fly across the world and have no speed, money, or science. I thought it was KCT or maybe KAC since the time was also 99years into the future and KCT stated infinity on everything. I got rid of KAC and re-installed KCT and then on my first flight I got a CTD. Not sure what's causing it, I thought the previous glitch was possibly OD since I saw the last changelist had something about zooming so I updated. I think I got my log properly uploaded. Can anyone tell me if it is an OD issue or something else?

Weird glitch of 000000: https://www.dropbox.com/s/85pu9avr0h4nr0r/20160506193200_1.jpg?dl=0 (I removed KCT and reinstalled it, plus I got the same glitch after removing it last night)
Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7g6uawynxcfccn/output_log.txt?dl=0

11 hours ago, Whitecat106 said:

During Station Keeping resource handling is at the moment just a proportion of the decay rate, I had intended on adding in, as you say, consume 50dv of fuel based on the change in orbital velocity experienced but this requires information on the fuel consumption, ISP, engine count etc that I simply haven't got round to programming yet! Maybe for 1.5.0 I will take a look at this, I know that Kerbal Engineer or Mech Jeb have displays that indicate the current fuel to delta v ratio, (such as those seen in the VAB scene).

Send me a PM if you want to know more and Ill see what I can do to help when I have a little more time! :)

Heh.  I'm still in the early "Can I even do that?" phases myself.  What I probably should do first is see if I can throw together something basic that ignores fuel usage altogether, considering that this is my sole KSP modding experience so far.

I wonder if modelling fuel consumption is something that KER's VesselSimulator is capable of (which is also used in some other mods).  It has the means to calculate dV, so it'd seem that something could walk that path in reverse to 'subtract' it. (I also think there'd definitely be utility in a standard "Simulate activity of unloaded vessels" plugin that other things can hook into for acurately figuring out things like EC/fuel usage and recovery of unloaded vessels.)

When i accept a LKO rescue Mission the created capsule has an icredibly high decay rate, leaving me with less than 0.5 days before it enters the atmosphere, even when i lower the decay multiplier to 0.1* . In combination with Kerbal construction Time, i get no chance at all to save the poor kerbal (unless i have a craft already sittin on the launchpad before i take the contract)

*Around 45 km/day!

I wonder if something went wrong on my side, or if there is a known Bug/incompatibility i have overlooked.

5 hours ago, Filigan said:

When i accept a LKO rescue Mission the created capsule has an icredibly high decay rate, leaving me with less than 0.5 days before it enters the atmosphere, even when i lower the decay multiplier to 0.1* . In combination with Kerbal construction Time, i get no chance at all to save the poor kerbal (unless i have a craft already sittin on the launchpad before i take the contract)

*Around 45 km/day!

I wonder if something went wrong on my side, or if there is a known Bug/incompatibility i have overlooked.

Same here, 50km per day... Hurry!

But It's nearly impossible, cause the target orbit isn't updated. When you enter physics range the target is suddenly 15km away scratching the atmosphere.

General question: Is the orbit updated for unfocused vessels, or do I have to switch to the target before planning for example for a rendevouz?

Edited by funk