Prototype Beast Rail Gun Destroyers

Hi fellow kerbonauts!

After a few days of experimenting, I have finally completed the prototype chassis of my Rail Gun 6!

So far the features are :

Automatic Reload via Revolver style drum magazine!

Reloadable cartridges!(by docking new cartridges) --- Press 6 to undock

Super acceleration curtsey of 6 Skipper engines as main accelerator.

BmyzHZM.png

YgEkUNF.png

p5IQ6uq.png

Usage:

Press Z (To maximize Thrust (and destruction)) Gotta Press Z after every shot!

Press 1(Toggles Main Engines)

If main engines are on, hit space to shoot!(Total of 5 shots)

Press 2 to reload, then Press X to .... the next shot. (may take a few tries as the Klaw has to grab the next shot)

IMPORTANT!:When the ion engine lights up, and the thrust goes to zero, it means the next shot is ready, otherwise keep pressing 2 and X!

taubQtH.png?1

VE0VqM9.png?1

1st Stage is Engines, 2nd Stage is first shot, 3rd is Drum rotation, then stage 4 onwards are all shots! Don't forget to press 2 to reload after every shot!

Download links:

666Rail Gun (Base Model and best looking): https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjha5fbm0kmugkb/666RailGun.craft?dl=0

666Rail Gun Super(More power more accuracy more Beast) :https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgx3ll1qql2ghnf/666RailGunSuper.craft?dl=0

Auto reloading after every shot via docking (with a Klaw or docking ports?) ---Complete!

Mount Rail Gun 6 on to a modified tank turret base allowing 360 rotation and pitch control!---Turret Base obtained, to be mounted.

Rail gun based spaceship--- Stay tuned here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/129308-HyperBeast-Spaceplane-%28VTOL-SSTO-and-more%21%29?p=2094889#post2094889

Things to work on: Better Accuracy, faster and more reliable reloading, Find a way to fire the last shot?

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Also if anyone wants to help me on this project then please modify to your heart's content! This is only the first prototype, so there is a lot of stuff to fix.

Edited by JZ6

Oooh I'm so going to try this!

+ rep!

Mine uses (almost empty) SRB's, and I stop the rotation with the SRB's own body. Every missile has wheels to guide it through the launch tube.

I'll be right back!

Oooh I'm so going to try this!

+ rep!

Mine uses (almost empty) SRB's, and I stop the rotation with the SRB's own body. Every missile has wheels to guide it through the launch tube.

I'll be right back!

Glad you will try my creation and I really hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

originally I used SRB bullets made from a flea and a nose cap, but I find the hassle of switching back and forth between the main vessel and the drum magazine too tedious so I set on the Klaw docking procedure and now here we are!

It's still a prototype tho and I only started KSP recently so any help from the master is appreciated, maybe we can combine our ideas to create something more?

Edited by JZ6

I'd like that! I'm really trying to get more people into engineering things!

For me, the name of the game would've been "Kerbal Engineering Program".

And the strong point is not the orbital mechanics or Newtonian flight. It's the editor.

Hear hear, did you know I have never played the tutorials or went further than the mun orbit? my passion is design and when my designs take off then one day I will try for the stars

I feel I'm a pilot as well (few thousand hours flying almost anything since 1983), but after the one time I landed on Dres, Eelo and most other planets, my passion for spaceflight started to go down. I haven't played career mode for a very long time.

Edit: tried the first one ... May I recommend a second bearing to stabilize the construction?

Edited by Azimech

Wait, is this with stock parts??? :confused:

Yep 100% stock rail gun with rotating magazine XD

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing this wouldn't work well on an actual spaceship. :P Still, awesome design. :)

Well im in the process of incorporating it on to my mk 2 spaceship

- - - Updated - - -

This methodological demonstration has been moved to the how-to section.

Maybe it could go in spaceship exchange instead?

I'm developing one which uses those tiny radial engines and decouplers, It has very efficient fuel usage, can store lots of ammo and is compact and destructive, but I have a problem with staging being to slow to fire in a burst. After you stage there is a second or so of delay before you can fire again. Any suggestions for faster fire rates?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.