Craft exploding while passing over poles

This might be the same problem as this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121746-North-Pole-Anomaly. But im not sure...

Ok, today i tried doing a survey scan (with the stock scanner). I placed it in a polar orbit and fine tuned this orbit using mechjeb. And my probe exploded over the south pole due to overheating.

I tried it a second time, and it exploded over the north pole

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My mods are: mechjeb, hyperedit, AntennaRange, NavHud. I guess it would happen in stock aswell, but its hard to get such accurate orbits in stock

Edit: forget about north pole anomaly. its not happening above the north pole.

I tested this in a stock install with just HyperEdit installed. It still happens.

What i found so far:

Only happens to active vessel

Only happens if not timewarping (may happen in physwarp)

Happens at any altitude (as long as you stay inside the SOI)

Happens on bodies with or without atmosphere

Happens to all vessels in active vessel´s physics bubble when active vessel goes boom

Edit2: checked 'Ignore Max Temp' in debug menu, this happened after passing over the south pole:

1aqh939.jpg

the temperature gets insanely high almost instant

Edited by rudi1291
additional info

I am currently haveing a nearly identical issue. Craft are randomly overheating and exploding. Im ripping my hair out trying to trouble shoot this. Removing mod after mod after mod and the issue STILL persists. So your saying this is happening in stock? Because im at that point now where i gotta test this in a stock game. But.. this just makes me feel as if that'd be futile.

It happens when i decouple a fairing, it happens when i trigger an action group, a device or just flying around in orbit. My craft overheat and explode. Wow, so checkmate here? I could post log files, but what good are they if im constantly moving mods in and out? So 1.0.4 on Linux opengl is completely bugged, huh? Nothing we can do here?

And heres the kicker. You cant even play with ignore max temp enabled. Even with that on and heating set to zero solar panels stop making power when the bug hits. What.. the... hell is going on? Im pissed about this. Ive been on 1.0.2 for the longest time and it worked like a freakin charm. And now... this.

Unless... do I NEED radiators? A simple communications probe? Id say that maybe if the craft were slowly heating up, but this is like it hits a wall and immediately explodes. However i have the temp gauge disabled with that mod so its not like im watching my temperature. Is it really possible my craft are heating up and up to the point where they just explode? But why then does the heat indicator in the stage list suddenly shoot up? Idk.. something is wrong here.

Ive been doing alot of reading. This steam thread lead me to the last post of this thread which makes me feel that this is a stock bug issue. I keep seeing the octagonal strut coming up in posts. And go figure the core of my satellite is made of two of them. The heat starts from there and spreads out. The instant explosion effect is just from reloading saves with the craft's heat maxed out.

So something is wrong with these struts. And im sure there are other parts that have this "runaway heating" effect by attaching parts to those with high surface area. Why an octagonal strut is considered high surface area compared to other parts I dont know..

Yeah all that and i just realized i had heating set to zero. Bah...

Wait, wait, wait that scale is the reentry heating. Which iirc is different from just radiation. And now that i think about it my "simple" comms prope was had the largest dish from RT on it. Not activated though. Only once for testing. But it doe have some lesser dishes activated. So OP, rudi1291 how long is that craft in the sun before it explodes? Im wondering if the temperatures are slwoly rising as the craft cooks in the sun to some sort of tipping point and... boom.

Oh, hello.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126664-MAJOR-Heating-Bug/page4

Edited by Motokid600

I am currently haveing a nearly identical issue. Craft are randomly overheating and exploding. Im ripping my hair out trying to trouble shoot this. Removing mod after mod after mod and the issue STILL persists. So your saying this is happening in stock? Because im at that point now where i gotta test this in a stock game. But.. this just makes me feel as if that'd be futile.

It happens when i decouple a fairing, it happens when i trigger an action group, a device or just flying around in orbit. My craft overheat and explode. Wow, so checkmate here? I could post log files, but what good are they if im constantly moving mods in and out? So 1.0.4 on Linux opengl is completely bugged, huh? Nothing we can do here?

And heres the kicker. You cant even play with ignore max temp enabled. Even with that on and heating set to zero solar panels stop making power when the bug hits. What.. the... hell is going on? Im pissed about this. Ive been on 1.0.2 for the longest time and it worked like a freakin charm. And now... this.

Unless... do I NEED radiators? A simple communications probe? Id say that maybe if the craft were slowly heating up, but this is like it hits a wall and immediately explodes. However i have the temp gauge disabled with that mod so its not like im watching my temperature. Is it really possible my craft are heating up and up to the point where they just explode? But why then does the heat indicator in the stage list suddenly shoot up? Idk.. something is wrong here.

Ive been doing alot of reading. This steam thread lead me to the last post of this thread which makes me feel that this is a stock bug issue. I keep seeing the octagonal strut coming up in posts. And go figure the core of my satellite is made of two of them. The heat starts from there and spreads out. The instant explosion effect is just from reloading saves with the craft's heat maxed out.

So something is wrong with these struts. And im sure there are other parts that have this "runaway heating" effect by attaching parts to those with high surface area. Why an octagonal strut is considered high surface area compared to other parts I dont know..

Yeah all that and i just realized i had heating set to zero. Bah...

Wait, wait, wait that scale is the reentry heating. Which iirc is different from just radiation. And now that i think about it my "simple" comms prope was had the largest dish from RT on it. Not activated though. Only once for testing. But it doe have some lesser dishes activated. So OP, rudi1291 how long is that craft in the sun before it explodes? Im wondering if the temperatures are slwoly rising as the craft cooks in the sun to some sort of tipping point and... boom.

Oh, hello.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126664-MAJOR-Heating-Bug/page4

It's not surface area, dunno where that one popped up from.

Try copying this code to a cfg file named minMass.cfg

Code:

@PART

[*]:HAS[#mass[<0.0001]]

{

@mass = 0.0001

}

Put that in your GameData folder somewhere

(experienced this only once too a few day ago, not bothered me much more but, may be this could help: )

i suspect this to be related to a revert in speed value as it happen at the exact same time the navball revert.

i mean the game act if you're doing a huge accelleration to simulate the fact that speed is remaining constant and revert in the coordinate system

(not sure it's well explained but, probably some clue around this part within the code, and how some other sub routine deal with this fictive acceleration due to coordinates references changes)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.