[Video] No Parachute No Problem, a KSP model rocket. MISSION SUCCESS!

FishInferno

UPDATE: The mission was a success, with the model flying straight and true both flights.

As you can see in the video, I did actually swap out the streamer for a parachute last-minute.

I had wanted to make one of arc5555's paper models for a long time, but I decided, why not take it one step further? Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, No Parachute No Problem!

32zj3sw.jpg

I know, I know, the name is kind of long, but the rocket does not, in fact, have a parachute. It uses a streamer. Plus, the name sounded very Kerbal to me. The rocket was made entirely of materials I had around the house, i bought nothing for this (except for the engine).

Expected launch in under an hour, wish me luck!

EDIT: I don't know why TnyPic rotated all of my pictures, sorry about that.

2wbvrkh.jpg

Here it is shown next to an Estes Alpha, for size comparison. I made the body like I would any other rocket, and I used papercraft parts as a "skin".

2074xhg.jpg

The fins were made by cutting out cardboard to the appropriate shape/size and gluing papercraft parts to the sides.

23vjcki.jpg

The launch Lug is simply a straw cut down to size. An ugly but necessary part to any model rocket.

34hjitt.jpg

The engine is mounted inside the cosmetic nozzle

wthfkz.jpg

This rocket is a rear-eject, meaning that the engine section pops out of the rocket with the parachute instead of the nosecone. The shock cord is made from rubber bands and the streamer is a cut up garbage bag.

All credit goes to arc5555 for his KSP Paper Models

Edited by FishInferno

That's really cool ! Have you got any more pictures ? :)

I will try and make a video over the next couple days

I believe Estes produces larger, higher thrust engines that would produce an accurate level of acceleration and fit in that rocket body nice and tightly. :cool:

This was flown on an Estes C6-5 motor, i chose the smaller motors because I didn't want to lose it:P

I have built my own rocket that flew on Estes E motors, that flew fine but I lost it in the woods. It was names "Up Goer I" because it was made using the mail tube that my Up Goer Five poster came in.

So, using iMovie on my phone (which is pretty limiting, I found), I put together a short video of the launch/landing. Hope you guys enjoy!

And if anyone wants to build one themselves, feel free to ask any questions as to how I built it!

Edited by FishInferno

Today I need to repair the little damage that was done. the front of the capsule got a little bashed in, and the black "nozzle" was weakened during the flights and due to my poor handling it broke off. I think some stronger glue should do the trick

The front of the capsule got a little bashed in, and the black "nozzle" was weakened during the flights and due to my poor handling it broke off. I think some stronger glue should do the trick

Ah, good old Kerbal engineering :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.