[1.0.x - OBSOLETE] ClampsBeGone - Stop clamps following your vessels into flight! [Aug 17]

iPeer

Updated to 1.1.1, fixing a pretty bad bug.

• [#1] Fixed an issue where certain mod clamps were being removed before a vessel was launched, causing the game to nullref, catastrophically in some cases.

I was going to mention a delay as well. Granted, if they are going to follow you up you probably want them to go away immediately, but if they aren't going to follow you and you still want them gone as soon as you no longer need them, the added visual of the clamps releasing and you rising up between them is nice to have available still. I suppose when it comes down to it, if you need a delay then you probably don't need this mod at all. However, if you use multiple launch site mods, or EPL, this kind of mod would allow you to continue to use clamps on these other launch pads and not have to worry about them not being cleared when you launch something new.

After updating to 1.1.1 the FASA launch clamps no longer will disengage on launch, continuing to hold the ship on the launchpad

Regarding delay and not needing this, I have found this mod to be a critical fix. There is no connection between a delay and the need for this mod at all. The need is not to have clamps go away immediately it is to have them go away before the KSP bug causes them to jump up and often collide with the ship. This never happens within the first few seconds of launch.

After updating to 1.1.1 the FASA launch clamps no longer will disengage on launch, continuing to hold the ship on the launchpad

Regarding delay and not needing this, I have found this mod to be a critical fix. There is no connection between a delay and the need for this mod at all. The need is not to have clamps go away immediately it is to have them go away before the KSP bug causes them to jump up and often collide with the ship. This never happens within the first few seconds of launch.

Got a log file for the disengaging issue? I'm not seeing the problem locally.

Will get on that ASAP for you. Had to do some work for the one I'm supposed to be testing right now then I'll get on it. :)

EDIT: Okey dokey, using 1 clamp seems to work fine but multiple and/or different types makes it go nuts. Oddly it also updated from being landed to splashed while on the launchpad, then when trying to launch from Landed to Flying, does a recovery in the log of 1 clamp then hits an error and everything seems to go down hill across the board from there. Particular error that may be of interest:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ClampsBeGone.Main.onVesselSituationChangeNew (HostedFromToAction`2 data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventData`1[GameEvents+HostedFromToAction`2[Vessel,Vessel+Situations]].Fire (HostedFromToAction`2 data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.updateSituation () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.Initialize (Boolean fromShipAssembly) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.decouple (Single breakForce) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at LaunchClamp.Release () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at LaunchClamp.OnActive () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnActivate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.activate (Int32 currentStage, .Vessel activeVessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Staging.activateStage (Int32 stage) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Staging.activateNextStage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Staging.ActivateNextStage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KSPAlternateResourcePanel.ARPWindow.DrawWindow (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KSPPluginFramework.MonoBehaviourWindow.DrawWindowInternal (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Full log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/32pslzidg35p9cd/output_log.txt?dl=0

Edited by JeffreyCor

Will get on that ASAP for you. Had to do some work for the one I'm supposed to be testing right now then I'll get on it. :)

EDIT: Okey dokey, using 1 clamp seems to work fine but multiple and/or different types makes it go nuts. Oddly it also updated from being landed to splashed while on the launchpad, then when trying to launch from Landed to Flying, does a recovery in the log of 1 clamp then hits an error and everything seems to go down hill across the board from there. Particular error that may be of interest:

-snip-

Full log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/32pslzidg35p9cd/output_log.txt?dl=0

Is this a particular clamp, or just any of the FASA ones?

Edit: Looks like you were using the 1.25m redstone clamp (thanks for the info, remote tech!)

Edit-edit: Issue reproduced.

Edit-edit-edit: Seems to be an issue caused by a vessel parameter (Vessel.protoVessel) being null while trying to refund the player in career mode.

Edit-edit-edit-edit (phew!): Fixed & pushed!

Edited by iPeer
Fixed!

Updated to 1.1.2!

• [#2] Fixed an issue that caused FASA's umbilical towers to nullref when being refunded in career saves.

- - - Updated - - -

It seemed to be with multiple clamps, if using only the 1.25m clamp alone everything works fine. Any specific testing etc you need just let me know I'll be glad to help. :)

I believe 1.1.2 will fix your issue. Those clamps, no matter how many you have in symmetry, only seem to count as one part to the game for some reason. So unfortunately, the refund you get will only apply for one of the towers, at least they're pretty cheap!

Still needs a delay BADLY. Preferably a user-adjustable one, since not all vessels have the same TWR.

This is is a great solution, but a lot of clamps, like the FASA umbilicals and launch tower, are only used for aesthetics, and if they're just going to magically disappear then there's no reason to use them at all, and then they won't be following you up, so this mod wouldn't be needed.

in other words, I WANT to use this, but without a delay it's useless for me. Hope you can add one!

agree, very useful mod... but

*** a lot of clamps, like the FASA umbilicals and launch tower, are only used for aesthetics, and if they're just going to magically disappear then there's no reason to use them at all***

Delay is something that is actively being worked on. We have a rudimentary system in place, but it's pretty buggy right now. Once the bugs have (hopefully) been fixed, you guys will see it in an update :)

Also, sorry for the slow reply, seems the forum has been forgetting to notify me of new posts lately.

I'm seeing in the log this keep checking, and rechecking, and rechecking over and over thoughout a flight. Being launch champs I'd think only during launch would be needed and the rechecking could be adding extra unneeded overhead and chances for errors. Is the rechecks during flight for a purpose that isn't apparent?

I'm seeing in the log this keep checking, and rechecking, and rechecking over and over thoughout a flight. Being launch champs I'd think only during launch would be needed and the rechecking could be adding extra unneeded overhead and chances for errors. Is the rechecks during flight for a purpose that isn't apparent?

Yes there is, it's so that it can catch any clamps that do reappear during the flight.....

Updated to 1.2:

• Added an option to delay removal of launch clamps (default: OFF). Delay can range from 1 second to 2 minutes (default: 10s).
  • Added an options GUI to help configuration.
  • Added an option to have clamps explode instead of being deleted (default: OFF).
  • [#3] Vessels will no longer vaporise when EVAing Kerbals while in a PRELAUNCH state.
  • ClampsBeGone will no longer run while the player is using non-physical timewarp.

- - - Updated - - -

It is intentional behaviour.

This is due to how the game works, not the mod. CBG registers for notifications of when the flight situation changes. Evidently, the game is very indecisive about what situation your vessel is in, especially while timewarping (hence a change in the latest version). The mass changing of flight situations actually creates very little overhead as if there's no clamps to remove, the code just stops after logging that message. Clamps are only "detected" during the OnFlightReady event, which only fires when a vessel is initially switched to or launched from an editor.

Edited by iPeer
typo

Thanks for this mod! My last mission had a "UFO". Hadn't seen the clamp bug for awhile, but I kept seeing this tiny object whizzing by. Then Stage Recovery went crazy trying to handle these things flying back into the atmosphere. Yay no more UFLCs (Unidentified Flying Launch Clamps). Hunting and hunting for a solution and then found this mod!

• 2 weeks later...
Could you add a line in the config to toggle the toolbar icon? I haven't touched it a single time and frankly it's just wasting my already limited screen space.

I would like to second this guy, and add the ability to have it on blizzy's toolbar or the stock one

I would like to second this guy, and add the ability to have it on blizzy's toolbar or the stock one

This stuff can be done, yes. Not sure when it'll be ready, but I'll get it in there when I can!