[1.12.x] Automated Screenshots

linuxgurugamer

First, re. game time. What would you expect to happen if, for example, you set it to take screenshots every game minute, and then you are in the middle of a timewarp? Would you want it to take the screenshot of the warp, ignore it?

Second, sub-second intervals. Why not just run FRAPS or OBS? How sub-second would you like?

The disk space can be an issue for some people if they aren't aware of it.

LGG

I'd expect the game to take a screenshot at, or as close to, every specified interval. I don't think taking a screenshot would interfere with timewarp at all, only the other way around, in that maybe the requested intervals can not be met. If so, fine, use the closest available. Optimally, include an option to reduce the time warp factor as much as needed to get to the desired granularity.

Ideally the minimal interval between screenshots would be one frame, and the option to use the new-ish high-res screenshots. A screen recorder is not always the best option, or sometimes not an option at all.

If I specify one screenshot per frame, I'm prepared and willing, and fully expect, to not have fluid 120 FPS in game, but have one screenshot for every single frame that has been rendered. I may want to up my resolution to some ridiculous value, so I can post-process the single-frame images later, for the purpose of creating animations, and FRAPS wouldn't cut it for that.

Call it a unique selling point of your plugin ;)

Edited by Corax
Killing the smiley icon... WITH FIRE!

There's a small glitch with the blizzy toolbar icon initially showing up as a purple square (not found). Looking at your source on GitHub, I think this is because of line 77 in AS_ToolbarButtons.cs. All the other texture references are to the "AutomatedScreenshots/Textures/" folder.

75    Log.Info([COLOR=#183691]"Initialising the Toolbar Icon"[/COLOR]);
76 btnReturn = ToolbarManager.Instance.[COLOR=#A71D5D]add[/COLOR]([COLOR=#183691]"AutomatedScreenshots"[/COLOR], [COLOR=#183691]"btnReturn"[/COLOR]);
77 btnReturn.TexturePath = [COLOR=#183691]"SpaceTux/AS/Textures/AS_24_white"[/COLOR];
78 btnReturn.ToolTip = [COLOR=#183691]"Automated Screenshots"[/COLOR];
79 btnReturn.OnClick += e => ToolbarToggle();

There's a small glitch with the blizzy toolbar icon initially showing up as a purple square (not found). Looking at your source on GitHub, I think this is because of line 77 in AS_ToolbarButtons.cs. All the other texture references are to the "AutomatedScreenshots/Textures/" folder.

75    Log.Info([COLOR=#183691]"Initialising the Toolbar Icon"[/COLOR]);
76 btnReturn = ToolbarManager.Instance.[COLOR=#A71D5D]add[/COLOR]([COLOR=#183691]"AutomatedScreenshots"[/COLOR], [COLOR=#183691]"btnReturn"[/COLOR]);
77 btnReturn.TexturePath = [COLOR=#183691]"SpaceTux/AS/Textures/AS_24_white"[/COLOR];
78 btnReturn.ToolTip = [COLOR=#183691]"Automated Screenshots"[/COLOR];
79 btnReturn.OnClick += e => ToolbarToggle();

This is known and fixed in the version I will be releasing on Sunday.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
I'd expect the game to take a screenshot at, or as close to, every specified interval. I don't think taking a screenshot would interfere with timewarp at all, only the other way around, in that maybe the requested intervals can not be met. If so, fine, use the closest available. Optimally, include an option to reduce the time warp factor as much as needed to get to the desired granularity.

Ideally the minimal interval between screenshots would be one frame, and the option to use the new-ish high-res screenshots. A screen recorder is not always the best option, or sometimes not an option at all.

If I specify one screenshot per frame, I'm prepared and willing, and fully expect, to not have fluid 120 FPS in game, but have one screenshot for every single frame that has been rendered. I may want to up my resolution to some ridiculous value, so I can post-process the single-frame images later, for the purpose of creating animations, and FRAPS wouldn't cut it for that.

Call it a unique selling point of your plugin ;)

I'm not sure about every frame, but I'll see what can be done about this. Right now the minimum interval is 1/10 of a second

LGG

I'm not sure about every frame, but I'll see what can be done about this. Right now the minimum interval is 1/10 of a second

LGG

OK, I just updated it.

The minimum time interval is approximiately 0.03 seconds, it depends on your system.

It is real time, not game time.

Let me know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey linuxgurugamer, I posted this into the Historian thread as well.

I am not able to get the Historian overlay to show up when taking screenshots with Automated Screenshots. I have version 0.6.0 of Automated screenshots and saves and 1.1.1 of Historian (which notes that it was updated to allow integration with automated screenshots)

Historian works with F1 key but not when I used F6 and enable auto screenshots.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2015, 10:43:10, linuxgurugamer said:

Fixed bug where a relative path would not work.

It's kinda dumb but I'm mildly (stupidly) annoyed that the config doesn't use a local path because when I diff my various installs it shows a conflict I can't resolve when in reality everything is the same. Like I said, dumb. :-)

I'm going to try to change it to a relative path in the config and hope the quoted note from the OP refers to this being something that will work. /fingerscrossed

Anyone else tried this?

51 minutes ago, Black-Talon said:

It's kinda dumb but I'm mildly (stupidly) annoyed that the config doesn't use a local path because when I diff my various installs it shows a conflict I can't resolve when in reality everything is the same. Like I said, dumb. :-)

I'm going to try to change it to a relative path in the config and hope the quoted note from the OP refers to this being something that will work. /fingerscrossed

Anyone else tried this?

You should be able to set a relative path in the mod.  The reason for the absolute path is to allow you to be able to save screenshots on a secondary drive and avoid filling up your system drive.

What sort of diff are you doing, and what sorts of conflicts is it saying?

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You should be able to set a relative path in the mod.  The reason for the absolute path is to allow you to be able to save screenshots on a secondary drive and avoid filling up your system drive.

Yup, love it. And it works fine with relative paths. And super easy to change with the in game settings. Sorry to have even cluttered the thread, I should've finished trying it before posting.

6 hours ago, Black-Talon said:

Yup, love it. And it works fine with relative paths. And super easy to change with the in game settings. Sorry to have even cluttered the thread, I should've finished trying it before posting.

Three lashes with a wet noodle :-)

You're forgiven :-)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/10/2016 at 3:44 AM, MisterFister said:

Is this mod still supported?

Yes it is, I'm still around, been busy with other mods

On 3/31/2016 at 10:52 PM, RiverRat2800 said:

Any way to make the autosave function turn on automatically when the game starts?  I'm constantly forgetting to turn it back on after a crash.

Not yet, but I'll keep it in mind

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎12 at 7:02 PM, linuxgurugamer said:
On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎31 at 10:52 PM, RiverRat2800 said:

Any way to make the autosave function turn on automatically when the game starts?  I'm constantly forgetting to turn it back on after a crash.

Not yet, but I'll keep it in mind

Or just have it remember the preference?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.