[WIP][1.2.2] Keridian Dynamics - Dev Thread [Last Update: 2017-01-21]

1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

ok so now does the 3D printer do what the workshop module does?

Yep.  It's a part for the workshop module - so if you have the workshop module, it will do exactly what the workshop module does - just like any other workshop.  :wink:   (And without the workshop module it won't do anything - just like any other workshop.)

5 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Yep.  It's a part for the workshop module - so if you have the workshop module, it will do exactly what the workshop module does - just like any other workshop.  :wink:   (And without the workshop module it won't do anything - just like any other workshop.)

no I'm talking about OSE workshop, do I NEED ose workshop to print parts for KAS/KIS or does this 3D printer have the ability to do just that?

18 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

but that doesn't answer me lol, I want to know, can I not use the below and will the 3d printer do what the below does?

16 hours ago, Eleusis La Arwall said:

No OSE workshop is not obsolete. The 3D-Printer and the FabricationContainer can do what OSE workshop does but OSE is required as dependency.

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

This mod is a parts pack.  It does nothing but provide parts.  To make the parts useful, you need either EL (for the EL parts) or OSE (for the OSE parts).

You've been answered multiple times.

9 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

I installed it with ckan and ckan didn't install EL, should I go ahead and put EL?

I have no experience with ckan myself, so I can only assume about it. If you want to build new vessels off kerbin you need to install EL or SC (latter includes the EL plugin).

9 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Hey, one more question, does this mod no longer need EL? And do you plan on adding a runway? EL I only kept the runway, but would prefer not to install it on ckan

I've done some testing with ground attached runways (similar to the fundaments) but atm I don't plan on adding foldable/deploayable runways to put on a rocket.

@DStaal is right about OSE. Just to be 100% clear: If you want to produce KIS/KAS parts you require OSE workshop. In particular the plugin from OSE is required.

9 hours ago, Jivaii said:

So, reading the thread, I'm going to guess this doesn't work with Ground Construction at all and needs EPL?

There is no support for Ground Construction yet. I have to take a closer look at the mod and see what can be done.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So on the one hand, I'm really digging the look of the KD-T series tanks; they've got a great unpolished, industrial feel for them. Perfect for bulk storage silos and suchlike.

But I can't seem to get them to swap to the crewable variant. Each part has a Crewed vs Cargo mesh toggle, but it doesn't seem like it actually does anything.

Is there something I'm missing? I did install it via CKAN, so maybe it missed a dependency or something that I'll have to install manually...

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

I doubt it would work, likely would crash the game :(

It is only parts and some MM cfg patches.  There are no .dlls to update.  The mod is basically a part expansion for Extra-planetary Launchpads, which is not bundled.  Some of the tank parts have texture and resource switching which requires firespitter, but these won't load if they the mod hasn't been installed.  It also has some KIS/KAS specific parts.  If you just want to your craft or base to look nice, then there are no issues!.

And hasn't EPL been updated to 1.3?

Also, I do have it installed in my current 1.3 save and although haven't unlocked them nothing seems to be amiss.

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit
Forum issues with multiple repeats of post.

1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

I doubt it would work, likely would crash the game :(

Well it sounds like you have already made up your mind without bothering to actually test anything.

I have been running this mod with no issues. But I am sure your right, it would probably crash the game.

7 hours ago, theJesuit said:

It is only parts and some MM cfg patches.  There are no .dlls to update.  The mod is basically a part expansion for Extra-planetary Launchpads, which is not bundled.  Some of the tank parts have texture and resource switching which requires firespitter, but these won't load if they the mod hasn't been installed.  It also has some KIS/KAS specific parts.  If you just want to your craft or base to look nice, then there are no issues!.

Also, I do have it installed in my current 1.3 save and although haven't unlocked them nothing seems to be amiss.

Peace.

A few questions, do I need EL to make the parts function? I'm not certain if I do and would love to exclude it. Now for the 3d printer, will it work fine without OSE or is OSE a must? I'd like to play with just this mod and not others

3 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

A few questions, do I need EL to make the parts function? I'm not certain if I do and would love to exclude it. Now for the 3d printer, will it work fine without OSE or is OSE a must? I'd like to play with just this mod and not others

You do need EL but only the plugin and the button textures.  You dont need the EL bundled parts like the blue green workshop thing or the foldaway runway and such.

I have to admit I've never used the 3d printer so I'm not sure about OSE.  Try it in a trial sandbox game and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the very long silence once again, but now I'm getting back! I'm currently switching my modding-setup from windows to linux, so don't expect an immediate update :wink:

On 09/05/2017 at 8:41 PM, The-Doctor said:

@Eleusis La Arwall hey, can you post the mass of these spacecraft? I'm planning a mega mission and need the details to tell people what size spacecraft they have to build

The mass of each part is set in their .cfg file. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "mass of these spacecraft".

On 26/05/2017 at 5:42 AM, Jim Starluck said:

So on the one hand, I'm really digging the look of the KD-T series tanks; they've got a great unpolished, industrial feel for them. Perfect for bulk storage silos and suchlike.

But I can't seem to get them to swap to the crewable variant. Each part has a Crewed vs Cargo mesh toggle, but it doesn't seem like it actually does anything.

Is there something I'm missing? I did install it via CKAN, so maybe it missed a dependency or something that I'll have to install manually...

The crewable variants must be installed manually. Inside the .zip file is a folder called "customization" that contains the crew-passable tanks. The difference to the storage tank is less capacity, different external and internal model, slightly different dimensions and if Connected Living Spaces mod is installed they are passable for crew (you can't put crew in them but there is also a MM patch included to make that possible).

On 11/06/2017 at 11:00 PM, The-Doctor said:

Hey is this still in development?

Yes, but I hope to finally reach a releasable state this year.

On 12/06/2017 at 7:11 AM, The-Doctor said:

On 11/06/2017 at 11:42 PM, theJesuit said:

Peace.

Thank you @theJesuit, that covers it prettty well!

My philosopy is to make KD as modular as possible. The only mod that must be installed is Module Manager because I use it to check what mods are installed and adjust the config accordingly. So with just KD and MM you can do what the integrated modules in KSP allow, mostly resource mining and conversion. With every additional mod installed, the functionality is expanded. If for example you install KIS & OSE workshop, the 3D-Printer will be able to produce MaterialKits and the Mobile VAB can produce KIS-items/parts. Still, without EL the launchpads have no special function and can be considered dead weight.

One downsides is that this is not the easiest way possible but I think it's the best trade-off. Another point is that I can't test every single combination of mods before an update but so far I was lucky :D

For 1.3 compatibility, I haven't checke anything yet (just downloaded KSP 1.3 today) but from what I've read, there seem to be no problems.

This mod looks really fantastic. I've been looking for something like this for a while. Love the idea of EPL, but yeah, like a lot of people, I'm not a fan of the models, so this one being pretty stock-alike is right up my alley. Looks like I can pair this with USI Life Support and the Planetary Base System and start colonising the Kerbolar System.

Really excited to see how it progresses.

Keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Jim Starluck said:

Say, does anyone have a config file to make this mod's containers match the cargo types available with MKS? Or is that something that's still in development?

I've just reached the stage in my current career game where I'm planning to start using EL and I've started writing a balance patch for MKS with KD/EL. I'll post it here when I'm finished.

Things I plan to change:

• Unify dry-mass and cost of empty tanks to be same across all cargo types (currently varies wildly)
  • Balance contents so that KD-T1251FS tank holds same amount of resources as two 1.25m flat Kontainer Tanks. (look about same size in VAB)
  • Use all MKS resource chain cargo types, remove rocket parts, scrap metal and replace metal ore with metallic ore (assumes MKS EL patch for MK based production)
  • Change 3D printer, chemical reactor and furnaces to use USI style resource converters 
  • Add USI-LS resources/hab/recyclers to crewed parts where I feel they are appropriate

3 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:
  • Use all MKS resource chain cargo types, remove rocket parts, scrap metal and replace metal ore with metallic ore (assumes MKS EL patch for MK based production)

Just as a note on this: With the advent of PatchManager, I've submitted a reorganization of the MKS EL patches - which splits up the integration into several separate, independent parts.  One of these parts is the conversion of the resource chain for EL upon installing MKS - so in theory there might be MKS players using RocketParts etc. in the future.  (Though that's not the default.)

Just wanted to be sure you were aware.  You should be able to write a PatchManager patch that's dependent on the MKS patch, if you wanted.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.