KW Rocketry Community Fixes, for 1.0.5 and below

linuxgurugamer

The community has been compiling a set of patches for KW Rocketry to make it work in 1.0.5. It was suggested that it be released as a mod, so I've released it in the following mod:

http://spacedock.info/mod/51/KW%20Rocketry%20-%20Community%20Fixes

License is GPLv3

These patches will not be getting a lot of attention anymore since 1.1 is now fully available.

For 1.1, please use the KWRocketryRedux version instead: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/137762-kw-rocketry-redux-305-released/

You need to install ModuleManager for this to work.  This version includes the full KWRocketry, so you won't need to install that anymore.

If installing by hand, you MUST read the instructions, otherwise the engines will not work

This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

Donations gratefully accepted

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

KSP-AVC Notice

This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available.

Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

wait what? how have i been using it this whole time if it doesnt work

They're way too prone to overheating in 1.04, especially the engines (and the fuel tanks can glow red hot for days after reaching orbit).

They're way too prone to overheating in 1.04, especially the engines (and the fuel tanks can glow red hot for days after reaching orbit).

I had similar heat problems with some stock parts. A long burn with a Poodle engine to clear the atmosphere and circularise wasn't good.

wait what? how have i been using it this whole time if it doesnt work

Overheating? What? Where? When? I too have been using KW Rocketry for ages and NEVER ran into ANY heat issues.

Overheating? What? Where? When? I too have been using KW Rocketry for ages and NEVER ran into ANY heat issues.

yeah same here. i think people must be shooting rockets thru the atmosphere at 1000ms+ or something. also i tried this fix mod for the hell of it and it makes the engine fairings not appear.

I was just wondering if someone could explain the second patch. I feel like its something easy that im just not grasping lol

The second is KWPatch-interstage.cfg. This file switches the interstage

fairings over to omni decouplers and removes the finicky extra node on

engines/shrouds. This is convceivably craft breaking so it might be

best to leave it as an optional module.

I was just wondering if someone could explain the second patch. I feel like its something easy that im just not grasping lol

That's based off of work I did. KW has two different way of handling decouplers between stages. The first way is like stock -- if you add a decoupler to an engine a shroud appears around the engine. The optional cfg disables the automatic shrouds and instead lets you use separate shroud parts that have an always visible shroud as part of the model. When you decouple a stage the shroud stays attached with the previous stage, looking just a bit cooler than a stock decouple.

My patch changes the shrouds so they decouple on both ends, floating free of both the previous and current stage. Basically you can setup your staging to look like this.

I tried installing KW via CKAN (with these fixes as a required dependency but without the interstage patch) and it completely broke my game. My saved crafts we missing any lower stages and I simply couldn't interact with any parts. I tried creating a new craft and placing a decoupler doesn't place the interstage shroud. I tried installing the optional interstage patch thinking this is what that is meant to fix, but nothing changed.

I'm curious as to how these are fixes since KW works fine installed manually and breaks via CKAN.

I tried installing KW via CKAN (with these fixes as a required dependency but without the interstage patch) and it completely broke my game. My saved crafts we missing any lower stages and I simply couldn't interact with any parts. I tried creating a new craft and placing a decoupler doesn't place the interstage shroud. I tried installing the optional interstage patch thinking this is what that is meant to fix, but nothing changed.

I'm curious as to how these are fixes since KW works fine installed manually and breaks via CKAN.

That's odd. These are simply ModuleManager patch files.

Can you do this:

1. Backup your save

2. Uninstall KW,and then install it via CKAN with these fixes (not the interstage patch)

3. Start the game, and just verify that the problems are there.

4. In CKAN, select the Community Fixes mod, and then in the right side, go to the third tab, labeled Contents

in this tab, find the location of the patch files. The specific files should be: KWPatch.cfg and KWPatch2.cfg

5. Find those files in the Gamedata directory, and move them elsewhere, outside the game

6. Start up the game, and see if you still have the problems.

7. If you do, then it's something else, because those two files are the only things that do anything

8. If you don't, then please upload those files somewhere so I can take a look at them.

I use this exact file all the time, and don't have the problem. So if you are having a problem, either you have a bad file or there is an interaction with something else.

I'm not discounting the fact that you have a problem. I just want to help you figure out what the problem is and get it fixed.

LGG

That's odd. These are simply ModuleManager patch files.

Can you do this:

1. Backup your save

2. Uninstall KW,and then install it via CKAN with these fixes (not the interstage patch)

3. Start the game, and just verify that the problems are there.

4. In CKAN, select the Community Fixes mod, and then in the right side, go to the third tab, labeled Contents

in this tab, find the location of the patch files. The specific files should be: KWPatch.cfg and KWPatch2.cfg

5. Find those files in the Gamedata directory, and move them elsewhere, outside the game

6. Start up the game, and see if you still have the problems.

7. If you do, then it's something else, because those two files are the only things that do anything

8. If you don't, then please upload those files somewhere so I can take a look at them.

I use this exact file all the time, and don't have the problem. So if you are having a problem, either you have a bad file or there is an interaction with something else.

I'm not discounting the fact that you have a problem. I just want to help you figure out what the problem is and get it fixed.

LGG

It works fine with KWPatch.cfg and KWPatch2.cfg removed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5xxwyssux77t5g/KWPatch.cfg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kmye5pmb6tuqyi/KWPatch-2.cfg?dl=0

Sorry for taking so long, I just got the files and will take a look later this evening

LGG

- - - Updated - - -

Who is responsible for making it required dependency instead of a suggestion in CKAN?! Come on, people, no need to force-feed this down users' throats. Whoever did it, I hope it'll get changed soon.

It appears to be a CKAN bug.

I'll contact them about it.

I opened an issue, you can follow it here:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/issues/2092

LGG

Edited by linuxgurugamer
added link to github issue

According to Kerbalstuff, the main KW Rocketry is NOT compatible with 1.0.4.

That is what the community patches are for.

If you want to use KW without the patches, then you are going to have to install the 1.0.2 version yourself, since this is a CKAN limitation.

CKAN will not install a package which is not listed as being compatible with 1.0.4.

There does appear to be a problem in that it doesn't even list the 1.0.2 version when filtering on incompatible, but even if it was listed, you wouldn't be able to install it via CKAN

Edited by linuxgurugamer

According to Kerbalstuff, the main KW Rocketry is NOT compatible with 1.0.4.

That is what the community patches are for.

If you want to use KW without the patches, then you are going to have to install the 1.0.2 version yourself, since this is a CKAN limitation.

CKAN will not install a package which is not listed as being compatible with 1.0.4.

There does appear to be a problem in that it doesn't even list the 1.0.2 version when filtering on incompatible, but even if it was listed, you wouldn't be able to install it via CKAN

After discussing with the CKAN people, I can say that there is no problem with CKAN. What is happening is that if you are running 1.0.4, it won't show the 1.0.2 version because it is already showing the updated community release. If you switched to a 1.0.2 release, you would get the original KW release without the community release.

End result, is that if you want to use KW without the patches, then you are going to have to install the 1.0.2 version yourself, JUST LIKE YOU HAD TO BEFORE the community release was made.

• 2 weeks later...

linuxgurugamer: Can you run the patches on :FIRST instead of on AFTER[KWRocketry] ? Running AFTER KW means it runs after RO (because RO has a plugin and KW does not, so KW, despite coming earlier in the alphabet, runs in a later MM pass) and that breaks most of RO's changes. Since AFAIK KW does not do MM patches itself, FIRST should be safe.

This is particularly a problem because the KWR ckan metadata now _requires_ community fixes, which means it's impossible to CKAN-install a working RO+KW install.

• 2 weeks later...
linuxgurugamer: Can you run the patches on :FIRST instead of on AFTER[KWRocketry] ? Running AFTER KW means it runs after RO (because RO has a plugin and KW does not, so KW, despite coming earlier in the alphabet, runs in a later MM pass) and that breaks most of RO's changes. Since AFAIK KW does not do MM patches itself, FIRST should be safe.

This is particularly a problem because the KWR ckan metadata now _requires_ community fixes, which means it's impossible to CKAN-install a working RO+KW install.

for those who are interested, this change has been implemented.

for those who are interested, this change has been implemented.

Will these changes be pushed to CKAN? There is still an issue with the scaling when RO is installed for these engines with the Github changes.

Edited by Trolllception