KW Rocketry Community Fixes, for 1.0.5 and below

linuxgurugamer

There is an issue with switching the KW interstage fairings to omni-decouplers. When you stage, you now have your first stage dropping away, a free floating interstage decoupler and your next stage. On firing the engine of the new stage, the floating decoupler/interstage is forcibly rammed into the previous stage and explodes. Hasn't caused any damage to any of my craft yet, but it seems risky and is pretty annoying.

There is an issue with switching the KW interstage fairings to omni-decouplers. When you stage, you now have your first stage dropping away, a free floating interstage decoupler and your next stage. On firing the engine of the new stage, the floating decoupler/interstage is forcibly rammed into the previous stage and explodes. Hasn't caused any damage to any of my craft yet, but it seems risky and is pretty annoying.

Well yes, that's what happens if you light a rocket engine next to something -- it's going to get pushed back when the exhaust hits it. You get the same results if you use stock omnidecouplers. Solution: Don't put the decoupler and the engine in the same stage. Stage the decoupler, wait a second, then activate the engine.

@linuxgurugamer -- you might want to move my patch to a truly optional install. Having it thrown into the mix by default seems to be causing a lot of confusion.

Having it thrown into the mix by default seems to be causing a lot of confusion.

This is a legitimate question and I'm not trying to flame, but what exactly is the point for that config anyway? From a quick skim through I didn't really see anything that makes it desirable... For the most part the only thing I did see is making the decouplers omni directional, which, depending on the user, is a personal preference + a petal adapter fix. A more detailed post could help to try to solve the confusion; hell, once the post is made it might be good to include it in the OP.

Hello there

First, thank you for all of this!

I've got a little hiccup: I noticed CKAN doing a KWrocketry community fix update today, and when I logged into the game, three of the KW engines (the maverick, vesta and another one) have gone invisible in the VAB. If I try to attach them, I still see their attachment nodes on the top. but after placing them, it's impossible to select them again. In addition, any craft with those engines attached will not have any working engine, and the camera behaves very weirdly, remaining focused on the spot where the craft was first loaded into view while the craft itselfs moves on (if it has any other engine to move on with)

So, luckily, I make a daily backup of my gamedata folder. I went and deleted the KWRocketry folder and replaced it with the one from the backup that worked yesterday... except that, weirdly, the bug is still present (do I have to infer that the community fix is in fact hosted in another folder than KWRocketry' one? If so, what's the folder I need to restore?) EDIT: Duh, silly me, of course it was a different folder, it was literally next to it

If you need any log or anything else, I'm avaliable for it!

Thank you very much!

Edited by zeropositivo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an FYI, there is a new patch file which, when combined with the existing patch, adds 1.0.5 compatibility to KW. It's still being worked on, so the mod hasn't yet been updated. You can follow the discussion here, and there is a dropbox link with the new file:

- - - Updated - - -

Just released update for 1.0.5 compatibility, get it from kerbalstuff.com

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Hey anyone, I'm having some trubbles with KW... I tried removing all Structural, Control, Aero and everyhting else but the 1, 2, and 3m engines along with their fairings in the UniversalFairings folder. The game just gets stuck when loading the engines apparently a few seconds befor it should start up. DUnno what to do.

Hey anyone, I'm having some trubbles with KW... I tried removing all Structural, Control, Aero and everyhting else but the 1, 2, and 3m engines along with their fairings in the UniversalFairings folder. The game just gets stuck when loading the engines apparently a few seconds befor it should start up. DUnno what to do.

Providing the log would help.

also, which verison of the patches are you running?

Doyou have any other mods installed, and how did you install them?

[quote name='linuxgurugamer']For all interested, the latest patch is now available via CKAN[/QUOTE]

Saw the patch(s) in CKAN, however CKAN is throwing an error as it's not overwriting anything else?

Two versions of the KW Rockety Community Fixes exist in the CKAN listing, both indicate as updates to 1.0.4, so not sure which one needs to go.

I have a few questions about the current state of the patches. I can make all these changes myself and submit a pull request, but I wanted to ask first:

[list]
[*] Is it necessary to remove the auto-shrouds anymore, given that engine shrouds can now be disabled in the tweakables?
[*] What's the justification for making the interstages omni-decouplers?
[*] With regards to the science experiment definitions, the Titan T1 is most certainly not an upper stage. Similarly, I'd argue that the Titan V is more of an upper stage than a lower stage, though the description seems to suggest that it could be either.
[/list]

The KWPatch-interstage.cfg is utter non-sense. The nodes are not any more finnicky than what you have with Squads stock heat shields, for example. Patch should be removed.

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Also, the KWPatch-2.cfg is identical to KWPatch-interstage.cfg except for the fix for the petal adapter. Should be combined into one.

[quote name='LostOblivion']The KWPatch-interstage.cfg is utter non-sense. The nodes are not any more finnicky than what you have with Squads stock heat shields, for example. Patch should be removed.

[COLOR=silver][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Also, the KWPatch-2.cfg is identical to KWPatch-interstage.cfg except for the fix for the petal adapter. Should be combined into one.[/QUOTE]

Calling it nonsense seems harsh. :(

That said, I know there is mention of it being optional on the Kerbal Stuff page, but perhaps a mention about that patch (what it does, and that it is optional) in the first post of this thread would be a good idea.

Why is the interstage config automatically included with the main community fixes when there's a separate download in CKAN for just the interstage config? There's craft-breaking stuff in the main pack with no mention and then it's all duplicated again in the interstage config.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the KWCcommunityFixes folder to put in the GameData folder or

are the contents of the KWCcommunityFixes to be put in the GameData>KwRocketry folder?

I see in the "Read me" that it's the first option, but I can't even see a KW rocketry stuff in my VAB nor in SPH

Edited by gilflo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who can't see any of the original non-procedural fairings? I installed KW Rocketry using CKan, but only the procedural fairings show up and they don't seem to work right, they detach the spacecraft the instant you open them, rather than it being a two-stage process.

I don't see the original fairings in the tech tree anywhere, not even to unlock.

I installed all three KW Rocketry mod, including the community and interstage thing.