KW Rocketry Community Fixes, for 1.0.5 and below

linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, Thorbane said:

Kerbalstuff is down, is there a github I can download this from?

see the above post

I just read the notice that kerbalstuff is shutting down. So you can expect a lot of  mods to fail to load via CKAN until everyone gets their stuff updated.

I wish there had been some notice so that authors could have moved their stuff elsewhere.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

see the above post

I just read the notice that kerbalstuff is shutting down. So you can expect a lot of  mods to fail to load via CKAN until everyone gets their stuff updated.

I wish there had been some notice so that authors could have moved their stuff elsewhere.

There was:

But most of the community (me included, since I was on hiatus for similar reasons) did not notice (or care) as long as it was still working.

If anyone else runs into a problem where loading a craft with engines from a 1.0.4 version of KW Rocketry causes the editor to freeze up, but newly placed engines work fine, check the attach node (attN) the engine is using in the craft file.  I was having some problems because some engines in old craft files were using a node that no longer exists, "top2", instead of just "top".

• 3 weeks later...

forgive me but there are a few .cfg files in the download. Which ones exactly do we put in to get KW to work. According to the readme its the kwpatch.cfg. But again there a quite a few in the download. Sorry if this is an obvious answer. 

1 hour ago, sp1989 said:

forgive me but there are a few .cfg files in the download. Which ones exactly do we put in to get KW to work. According to the readme its the kwpatch.cfg. But again there a quite a few in the download. Sorry if this is an obvious answer. 

I gather you are installing by hand rather than through CKAN.

Put the whole directory in the GameData directory.  You will probably want to delete the KWPatch-interstage.cfg file, it really isn't needed.

LGG

Hello!

Today I have decided to install KW rocketry again after a while of playing without it, and so I installed it with CKAN.  Automatically installed were these community fixes.

However I am having a problem!

When playing in career mode, the 5 metre rocket engines and most powerful SRBs are not in any tech tree nodes!  I think I read something about compatibility with B9 but I am playing without B9 or community tech tree installed so I don't see how there would be any clashes!  I think they are supposed to come in the "Experimental rocketry" node (1000 science, top row) but this node is simply not showing up when I enter the R+D building.  The other KW parts are in their proper nodes just fine.

Is this an issue with the mod, the fixes, my installation, or is it intended?  Is there a suggested fix?

Thanks very much, -Tom

p.s. here is my entire mod list as seen through CKAN

Spoiler

0730c50805875431e7e686306213a5f0.png

here is my tech tree (the science values, reputation, money values were cheated by increasing them to max upon starting the new game, but no I do not really play with this)

Spoiler

6187609b687e3b359538540d096f079d.png

EDIT: I also have another problem

Both in the editor and in flight mode, my KW engines are glowing red hot (before they are even lit!)  I think this is not particulaly serious (maybe they would overheat quicker?) but mainly it doesn't look very pretty.  It doesn't affect the stock engines.  But it does affect ALL KW solid and liquid engines.

Spoiler

bcd8947f7d22072a561b7ed9d69ab6d2.png

Edited by Tommy59375
screen shots

2 hours ago, Tommy59375 said:

Hello!

Today I have decided to install KW rocketry again after a while of playing without it, and so I installed it with CKAN.  Automatically installed were these community fixes.

However I am having a problem!

When playing in career mode, the 5 metre rocket engines and most powerful SRBs are not in any tech tree nodes!  I think I read something about compatibility with B9 but I am playing without B9 or community tech tree installed so I don't see how there would be any clashes!  I think they are supposed to come in the "Experimental rocketry" node (1000 science, top row) but this node is simply not showing up when I enter the R+D building.  The other KW parts are in their proper nodes just fine.

Is this an issue with the mod, the fixes, my installation, or is it intended?  Is there a suggested fix?

Thanks very much, -Tom

p.s. here is my entire mod list as seen through CKAN

Hidden Content

here is my tech tree (the science values, reputation, money values were cheated by increasing them to max upon starting the new game, but no I do not really play with this)

Hidden Content

EDIT: I also have another problem

Both in the editor and in flight mode, my KW engines are glowing red hot (before they are even lit!)  I think this is not particulaly serious (maybe they would overheat quicker?) but mainly it doesn't look very pretty.  It doesn't affect the stock engines.  But it does affect ALL KW solid and liquid engines.

Hidden Content

The glowing engines is fixed in the current community patches.  It looks like you may not have it installed properly.  The animation module needed to be changed.  The glowing is merely a bad animation, shouldn't affect anything.

I just installed KW via CKAN, and both the animation was ok, and by manually adding science, i was able to research science all the way, and the 5m engines DID show up.

That being said, I did notice that when filtering by size, the 5m stuff did not show up.  But if you go into the engine selection, filter by manufacturer KW, you will see the engines.  BTW, filtering by size in stock only goes up to 3.75m parts.   Using Filter Extensions, there is more and 5m is listed there, although nothing seems to show up.

Also, the tech tree you show doesn't show any tech being researched.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

The Experimental Rocketry node existed in previous versions of KSP but has since been removed.  The community fixes should probably be updated for this, but in the mean time, there is a workaround - install Community Tech Tree, which adds that node back in.

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The glowing engines is fixed in the current community patches.  It looks like you may not have it installed properly.  The animation module needed to be changed.  The glowing is merely a bad animation, shouldn't affect anything.

I just installed KW via CKAN, and both the animation was ok, and by manually adding science, i was able to research science all the way, and the 5m engines DID show up.

That being said, I did notice that when filtering by size, the 5m stuff did not show up.  But if you go into the engine selection, filter by manufacturer KW, you will see the engines.  BTW, filtering by size in stock only goes up to 3.75m parts.   Using Filter Extensions, there is more and 5m is listed there, although nothing seems to show up.

Also, the tech tree you show doesn't show any tech being researched.

1) I installed via CKAN a few days ago, so when did you fix the issue with the animation?  If it doesn't affect game play I don't mind so much anyway.

2) Yes I know that tech tree did not show any nodes being unlocked because that is not my real save file.  But I assumed the node would show up right away, so am I reading this correctly?  That there is some sort of special exception for that node, so that it shows up only when I have researched the node before it?  Because that is not the case for the other 1000 science nodes...  Please can you test if the node shows up, even when the only mods installed are KW and the KW fixes (ie. NO community tech tree), or must I install that to make it work?  The 5m engines work fine in sand box mode for me.

49 minutes ago, blowfish said:

The Experimental Rocketry node existed in previous versions of KSP but has since been removed.  The community fixes should probably be updated for this, but in the mean time, there is a workaround - install Community Tech Tree, which adds that node back in.

Does this mean that I would be able to make the node show up by installing the Community Tech Tree?  Because I did try to add it via CKAN once before but when I rebooted the game nothing was changed (ie. the node still was not visible).  I even tried it in a new save file but it still did not show up.

2 minutes ago, Tommy59375 said:

Does this mean that I would be able to make the node show up by installing the Community Tech Tree?  Because I did try to add it via CKAN once before but when I rebooted the game nothing was changed (ie. the node still was not visible).  I even tried it in a new save file but it still did not show up.

I believe so.  I haven't tried, so not 100% sure.

4 hours ago, blowfish said:

If you can get me a patch, I'll get it in asap.

I just added in a new cfg file to add bulkheadProfiles to all the parts, needed for FilterExtensions

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I just added in a new cfg file to add bulkheadProfiles to all the parts, needed for FilterExtensions

I should have been clearer on GitHub -- bulkeadProfiles is a stock variable, which is how the Filter by Cross-Section tab works.  Filter Extensions just adds a few more labels and icons.

7 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I should have been clearer on GitHub -- bulkeadProfiles is a stock variable, which is how the Filter by Cross-Section tab works.  Filter Extensions just adds a few more labels and icons.

I understand, but it was missing from most of KW's parts.  The patch I wrote simply adds the missing variable.

I'm guessing it didn't exist when KW was first written, and no one ever backfilled it.  

I tested it both without my patch (nothing showed up from KW in any of the filter-by-cross-sections) and with it(they all showed up properly).

Thanks.

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

fixed quite a while ago.

Alright thanks very much, I shall re install.

But can you please confirm that I do NOT require community tech tree or any other mod, in order to make the "experimental rocketry" node show up, and that it will appear when I research the node before it?

Apparently the experimental rocketry node is needed, and is not set up properly in the current version of KW

I'm waiting for someone to give me a patch, i have no idea what needs to be done for that.  I took care of the issue about the parts not showing up when filtering by size.

LGG

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Apparently the experimental rocketry node is needed, and is not set up properly in the current version of KW

I'm waiting for someone to give me a patch, i have no idea what needs to be done for that.  I took care of the issue about the parts not showing up when filtering by size.

LGG

I found what was needed, I'm working on this now

Check in an hour or so

Ummm, I've been looking at this.

I have a basic install, only with KW and a few other mods.  The Experimental Rocketry IS already installed with the KWPatch.cfg file.

The patch does NOT install it if either CommunityTechTree or B9 are installed, probably because they already install it.

So you should be good to go

19 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, I've been looking at this.

I have a basic install, only with KW and a few other mods.  The Experimental Rocketry IS already installed with the KWPatch.cfg file.

The patch does NOT install it if either CommunityTechTree or B9 are installed, probably because they already install it.

So you should be good to go

But does the node show up in the research building for you?  I used the debug window to add a bunch of science to my account in science mode and I unlocked every single node, but experimental rocketry is still not available in there.  And when I looked at the list of possible engines in the VAB the most powerful SRBs and 5 metre engines were not there.

Spoiler

f04abd58f692124fbfffc053cb8e7bc9.png

EDIT and it also looks like someone else had the same problem but they received no replies.

Edited by Tommy59375

yes it does, which is why I'm confused.  This was a basic stock game, with only KWR added for parts (to test this).  And I verified in the patch file that the node is there.

If you want, zip up the KW community patches and put it somewhere, I'll take a look and see what's going on 

58 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

yes it does, which is why I'm confused.  This was a basic stock game, with only KWR added for parts (to test this).  And I verified in the patch file that the node is there.

If you want, zip up the KW community patches and put it somewhere, I'll take a look and see what's going on 

I suppose you could try to install all the mods in my list... (or I could ;p )

Anyway here is my KW community fixes.  I made a modification to the original KW by adding the original (non procedural) fairings from the 'FAR Compatible fairings' folder, but the 5m engines were not there before or after I did this so it probably does not have an affect.  I did not make any modification to the KW community fixes to my knowledge.

[link removed - it's the same as you would find in the download on the first page]

Edited by Tommy59375
removed link